Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Ferrari F10

TheRMVR wrote:
wesley123 wrote:It can surely be used to heat the rear tires, remember, Renault did same in 2008 in hte case of tire management so they could do longer runs. With the ban of fuel stops such an thing would be pretty logical to do, as you have to stop one time less for example or later due to the tire wich can do more laps. How you look at it, such an device can simply gain you alot of track ime, if you have to stop one time less it will save you like 20 seconds, and then i havent even talked about the laps after an stop, where these tires are on their optimum temps sooner then other teams.
`
Do you actually believe yourself?
Do you have an better explaination then? I know those gains i called are a bit over-the-top, but rfurther it is plausible, renault did the same in 2008

http://www.f1technical.net/development/206

Remember, in 2008 renault was very busy with tire management, they drove slower laps with the tires, so they lasted longer.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Earth

Very nice onboard with Alonso in Fiorano :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw5j_frD3Sg[/youtube]

autogyro
autogyro

If that engine mapping system is not giving traction limiting then I am a monkeys Uncle.

aral
aral

autogyro wrote:If that engine mapping system is not giving traction limiting then I am a monkeys Uncle.
Pity my name isn't Tarzan! Ferrari may have put a lower rev limiter, AND anyway, they would be quite in order to use traction control if they wanted, as there is no law against it other than in quali and race. However as ECU is provided by Mclaren and cannot be modified, I think that you are hearing things again!

madly
madly

aral
aral

madly wrote:Image
That rminds me of the time, in the 60's, when F1 cars were experimenting with biplane wings!

autogyro
autogyro

gilgen wrote:
autogyro wrote:If that engine mapping system is not giving traction limiting then I am a monkeys Uncle.
Pity my name isn't Tarzan! Ferrari may have put a lower rev limiter, AND anyway, they would be quite in order to use traction control if they wanted, as there is no law against it other than in quali and race. However as ECU is provided by Mclaren and cannot be modified, I think that you are hearing things again!
I dont think so.

ringo

n smikle wrote:i was thinking like this

well the upper ones must be fake or an illusion

5.6 Exhaust systems :
Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits.
5.7 Variable geometry systems :
5.7.1 Variable geometry inlet systems are not permitted.
5.7.2 Variable geometry exhaust systems are not permitted.
For Sure!!

mith

Maybe that upper pipe (if it really is a pipe) is just cooling outlet?

korzeniow
korzeniow

It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

aral
aral

autogyro wrote:
gilgen wrote:
I dont think so.
I DO think so! You have absolutely no valid reason to imply that Ferrari are running traction control. If you had, I am sure that FIA would love to hear from you!

sticky667
sticky667

bill shoe
bill shoe

Traction Control Issue- The engine has severe fluttering or misfiring sounds throughout the video. This is a clear contrast to the moments when the engine is pulling clean. Something is going on. The odd fluttering sound occurs right after gear changes.

The rules used to allow (and may still allow) 200 milliseconds for the computer to actively control the throttle after a gearchange. The was because the throttle needed to be actively controlled for the gearchange itself. If I remember correctly, Ferrari was the first to take advantage of this loophole to create 0.2 second bursts of traction control after gearchanges. The interesting thing is that the burst in the above video seems to be longer than 200 ms. Less than 1 second, but more than 200 ms. Perhaps after the 200 ms closed-loop traction control phase there is an open-loop transition phase back to the regular engine map, and this transition has the effect of making the fluttering noise longer than 200 ms.

I made a bit of a guess above, but anyone who wants to claim there is no traction control needs to come up with some kind of plausible explaination for the severe fluttering noise. A statement that Ferrari would not break the rules is not a functional explaination in this regard.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

wow them exhausts do look nice and shiney

ringo

Now we've seen the pipes, lets see the new diffuser parts that the exhaust flows through.
For Sure!!