Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
autogyro
autogyro

Re: Ferrari F10

If it is traction limiting, it all depends on how it is activated.
Could be solely by gear linkage or hydraulic activation, rather than selected specific gears electronicaly.

aral
aral

There seem to be a number of posters who WANT to try and prove the Ferrari is illegal. There is NO proof of this, other than some saying it sounds like traction control. But as I said earlier, they COULD use it if they wanted to, as it is not racing. However, following Mclarens effort at throttle modulation, the ECUs were redesigned to PREVENT any effort at that. I would far rather believe the stewards , scrutineers and other teams, than believe the hypothesis of a few Ferrariphobes. If the Ferraris are passed as legal, then they are legal! If they are found to be using traction control and/or have modified their ECUs, then they would be disqualified!

And to Autogyro, the mods to the Ferrari pneumatic valves, were the replacement of seals only, something that was totally legal. It wouldnt have affected the power-band. The seals were degrading due to the new formulation of the Shell fuel

autogyro
autogyro

Realy gilgen.
So what is the noise then?
Oh and I was responsible for the first ideas on semi and full auto selection in F1. I know a little about the technology.

Sorry hahahaha, I have to laugh. I just realised what you posted about the Ferrari valve seals degrading because of a change to the Shell fuel.
Realy!!! I will say no more on that one. Hahaha.

F1_eng
F1_eng

You drive an SLGay? Sorry, that's a little childish.

I don't work for Ferrari but the noise in their video is definetely not a form of traction control I have ever seen before. They would be entirely entitled as far as I know to run traction control on a test like that, but it wouldn't be allowed to be controlled by the McLaren ECU.
They certainly can't run and form of traction control in quali or race, the rules are clear. The wording is something along the lines of "no car may be equipped with a system which can prevent the driven wheels from spinning under power or compensate for excessive throttle demand from the driver" It's in the transmission section Article 9.something
If any form of weird interpritation was tried, the FIA would simply not allow it, end of story. You can't let the drive know when he has excessive wheel spin either.

That isn't traction control, why would you want to control traction during a gear change?
This is traction control http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZLHxu02hhw

There is also no chance you can spin the wheels of an F1 car in a straight line, in 7th gear. I will say it again, do some very basic hand calcs before posting such rubbish, it is literally maximum of 60 seconds to work that out, and it's not even close, many multiples out. Rule book states maximum tyre diameter, engine revs limited, you guys can roughly estimate torque, tyre mu is also guessable.
That way, you can work out that what you were going to post was wrong, rather than show that to everyone else.

As always, it's been a pleasure.

autogyro
autogyro

F1_eng wrote:You drive an SLGay? Sorry, that's a little childish.

I don't work for Ferrari but the noise in their video is definetely not a form of traction control I have ever seen before. They would be entirely entitled as far as I know to run traction control on a test like that, but it wouldn't be allowed to be controlled by the McLaren ECU.
They certainly can't run and form of traction control in quali or race, the rules are clear. The wording is something along the lines of "no car may be equipped with a system which can prevent the driven wheels from spinning under power or compensate for excessive throttle demand from the driver" It's in the transmission section Article 9.something
If any form of weird interpritation was tried, the FIA would simply not allow it, end of story. You can't let the drive know when he has excessive wheel spin either.
That isn't traction control, why would you want to control traction during a gear change?
This is traction control http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZLHxu02hhw

There is also no chance you can spin the wheels of an F1 car in a straight line, in 7th gear. I will say it again, do some very basic hand calcs before posting such rubbish, it is literally maximum of 60 seconds to work that out, and it's not even close, many multiples out. Rule book states maximum tyre diameter, engine revs limited, you guys can roughly estimate torque, tyre mu is also guessable.
That way, you can work out that what you were going to post was wrong, rather than show that to everyone else.

As always, it's been a pleasure.

The flutter is after the gear change as power is applied and it is not possible to spin up the rear wheels on an F1 car in a strait line. Thank you F1_eng.
It still does not explain the noise.

autogyro
autogyro

Oh and nice video F1_eng.
It shows one type of traction limiting.

ecapox

What i dont understand is why we allow haters, autogyro specifically, to lead the discussion on this thread. You KNOW Autogyro only comes in here to complain that Ferrari is cheating. Everytime. It is like clockwork. You are like a little kid at a birthday party saying that the birthday boy eats his boogers because you saw him pick his nose. It is childish, ignorant, and most of all irrelevant.

I dont think anyone here needs to prove that the sounds we hear are NOT traction control. Prove to me, without using the 'It sounds like TC' technique, that Ferrari is using TC on that car. You cant. You take a shitty microphone, attached somewhere in a car that is going 100mph+ and use that as the determining factor that "they are using TC", I dont believe it. Lets not all get carried away proving, or even responding, to the "They are using TC. Ferrari cheats" posts from Autogyro.

There is so much more to discuss with the beautiful pictures provided to us than arguing about what Ferrari does on an advertisement filming session.

donskar
donskar

+1. And long overdue.

I only read and post from work, where I can not devote too much time/thought -- and either would be wasted on so many of these threads where discussion is discouraged by sermons and "indisputable evidence" and endless snippets from Google, and references to arcane past "agreements."

What a drag. Get a life folks!
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

autogyro
autogyro

I am not a Ferrari hater.
I love the mark.
It would not matter which team it was, there is a noise on that video that sounds like traction limiting and nobody, even god has not given a decent explanation.

donskar
donskar

gilgen wrote:There seem to be a number of posters who WANT to try and prove the Ferrari is illegal. There is NO proof of this, other than some saying it sounds like traction control. But as I said earlier, they COULD use it if they wanted to, as it is not racing. However, following Mclarens effort at throttle modulation, the ECUs were redesigned to PREVENT any effort at that. I would far rather believe the stewards , scrutineers and other teams, than believe the hypothesis of a few Ferrariphobes. If the Ferraris are passed as legal, then they are legal! If they are found to be using traction control and/or have modified their ECUs, then they would be disqualified!
gilgen, you're fairly new here, so let me help you "read" some posts:

If WhiteBlue: LONG posts, with endless arcane references, almost all concluding "FIA=GOOD; FOTA=BAD"

If autogyro: "model aeroplanes" that is, FOTA and aerodynamics are the root of all evil. And he is always right.

If Islamatron: "FERRARI IS CHEATING" (and "FIA=GOOD; de Montezemola=BAD"

Now back to reality . . .
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ecapox

zgred wrote: Image
What are those red lines across the bodywork? Also at the bottom of the picture it looks like they are using the gold, heat-reflective material that they also use on the inside of the engine cover. Are they worried that it might get too hot? Hopefully no failures or fires, for that matter. :shock:

Blackout

Not gold, multi-layer insulation...

I don't know what those lines are. Red Bull used them when tey tested the current exhausts for the first time.

sticky667
sticky667

ringo wrote:Now we've seen the pipes, lets see the new diffuser parts that the exhaust flows through.
here you go

bill shoe
bill shoe

Well crap! My earlier traction control comments have created a monster. Sorry.

Back to the car...

This picture: http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/13253749 (slightly different from the two above) shows that Ferrari's low exhaust has little or no hole/slot/whatever into the underside of the diffuser. Previous reports from people like Scarbs have said there was a clear hole in the Red Bull diffuser for the low exhaust stream to pass under the diffuser. If I am seeing the new Ferrari diffuser correctly then there can also be a benefit from a blown diffuser when only the top side is blown.

The significance of this is that next year all diffuser slots/holes/etc. will be banned, but we will apparently continue to see blown diffusers. This trick is here to stay.

mith

I don't see any hole for the hot air to go into diffuser (a'la Red Bull). I can't spot any differences between diffusers at all. But still I really like that photo, cause it's the very first with well lighted upper deck. BTW it's bigger than maximum resolution allowed on the forum. Right click it and then click on 'show image' from the context menu to show it in full resolution (in FF).