Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

I don't think there is a 'secret'... the 2010 steering wheel is shaped to be more comfortably held that way...

doopie2you

Blackout wrote:I don't think there is a 'secret'... the 2010 steering wheel is shaped to be more comfortably held that way...

Maybe i am crazy, but in the youtube film you see that up the hill (00:38) he puts his hand almost on his leg. And then at (00:44) he hurries to get his hand back to the Steering wheel to shift back.

I don't know, but that doesn't look very comfortable to me :shock:
What does IDK means?? (someone) i dont know (other dude) OMG no one knows

siskue2005

this is Mclaren's
See how the duct comes from above and goes below!! rather than going upwards!

I think Mclaren have their conventional F-duct on their knee

And this is stalling something else?!! :idea:

Maybe Diffuser?....thats why they suddenly have 2 switches and their sudden speed advantage over RBulls

wesley123
wesley123

diffuser stalling have bn discussed before, and stalling it will simply add drag, you siply block alot of xit space due to the stalling, air willheap up under the floor and will cause an unstabl car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Perhaps operation with the knee is not easy for the drivers and it was only ever implemented that way to try and hide it for as long as possible. Now everybody knows how it works they moved the 'switch' to a more optimal position for the drivers.

Just my guess.

Holm86

Almost every track is driven clockwise. Their knee activated f-duct is on the left side of the cockpit. Perhaps the gforce of fast right corners makes it difficult to hold their knee away form the left wall of the cockpit???? It would not be good if their knee blocked the duct-hole in a fast right loosing alot of downforce on the rear.

raymondu999

I don't think you'd position your knee anywhere near the vent in a corner though...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aral
aral

raymondu999 wrote:I don't think you'd position your knee anywhere near the vent in a corner though...
Its on the straight where it is used! And as for corners, it would be equally dangerous to move your hand to cover the opening, whilst trying to steer around a corner.

deus1066
deus1066

jason.parker.86 wrote:Image

Above shows new FDuct Activation Hole.

Do we know why McLaren changed from Knee to Wrist Operation of the F-Duct? Maybe Lewis couldnt reach it?
This photo has been posted in the Red Bull RB6 forum too.

viewtopic.php?p=180306&f=12#p180306

Are we actually certain this is on the Mclaren?

Holm86

You are misunderstanding me. I never said it was used in corners. Im saying the exact opposite. Im saying the gforces in at corner could force their knees toward the switch. Wich would be dangerous if their knee activated the switch in a corner.

hollus

That's why it would make more sense to place above the knee. Then the driver only has to retract his foot from the brake, and the knee goes up by itself.
Anyways, Mclaren clearly has it in the side of the cockpit now, one can even see the hole in the in in-car video of the pole of Canada:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK6S4nAwmGM
Rivals, not enemies.

thestig84
thestig84

hollus wrote:That's why it would make more sense to place above the knee. Then the driver only has to retract his foot from the brake, and the knee goes up by itself.
Anyways, Mclaren clearly has it in the side of the cockpit now, one can even see the hole in the in in-car video of the pole of Canada:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK6S4nAwmGM
I cant see any hole? If there was a hole then why does LH not move his hand to cover it on the main straight?

hollus

You can only see the hole when the light is right (I hope it is the hole I am seeing, the resolution is a bit low).

It is clearer to see at the end of second 36, when his hand criefly moves away, and through the following corner. It is visible again at the 1:07 time mark.

In the main stright he puts his hand on it at the 1:25 mark, and he flicks the fingers out of it after the finish line (the little white thing in the back if his gloves, but at finger level, not in the back of the palm). But now that I reviewed the video in more detail, it looks like he is not covering the hole at every oportunity he could.

BTW, why isn't this the video from Canada in the formula1.com site?
Rivals, not enemies.

zgred

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Are the little wings under the wheel hubs new?