Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hangaku

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Promisingly, both drivers report that the car feels like it's producing more downforce, and that it's definitely a step forward. If that's to be believed, then it's fair to assume that they car isn't running it's best because they haven't had enough time to tweak the setup. I guess we'll see the real difference in race trim tomorrow.
Yer.

Richard
Richard

Discussion about the track is over here .... :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8719&p=187129#p187129

siskue2005

wesley123 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Well this is just RBR territory, all high speed turns this track, it suprises me Feraari could be that close.
actually there is only 2 high speed corner in this track
t1 and the turn to entrance of stadium section
Then you still didnt mention the 2 turns in front of the start finish, and the fastleft right. And the turn before you turn into the stadium. And the turn after the hairpin. So then we have 4 turns that arent red bulls characteristic.
the last 2 corners are not high speed corners, it doesnt require aero efficency...it is a medium speed corner like the corners in aerna complex of silverstone
and the corner after hairpin is easy flat out for even a f3 car, so

ringo

The car will continue to improve, but as i said before, the ferrari has a bigger potential for developement.
Any car that looks similar to the redbull has an easier developement path.
Ferrari and Williams are proof; very clean looking and simple geometry.
Mclaren is tight round the back but still to cluttered, they have to do more testing to get the same gains like williams or the red cars.

The exhaust is working now which is good, but i think the rear needs cleaning up near the beam wing and some ddd parts.

I am not sure what else can be done to get it faster than redbull. The ignition map may only bring it within 0.1 or 0.2 seconds i think.
For Sure!!

Richard
Richard

Looking in detail at the previously posted pic .....

PlatinumZealot

richard_leeds wrote:Looking in detail at the previously posted pic .....

The car always had slots in the side of the diffuser for the rear tie rods. This hole now slightly bigger, I stil don't think it as effective as the read bulls. It's too far away from the throat of the upper diffuser.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

Atlanta
Atlanta

PlatinumZealot

So they did cut it slant like Ferrari. Reminds me of a Pringles chip.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

Ciro Pabรณn

Please, guys, this thread is about the McLaren Mercedes MP4/25 DEVELOPMENT.

I had to erase several posts. I'd rather not do that again. There is a rule about posting out of thread: as you might have not read the rules about posting, you are pardoned for once. Read them.
Ciro

ecapox

All you engineers:

What effect does a cut in the exhaust, like above, have on the exiting gasses? Does the cut create a low pressure area that fans the exhaust gasses further out than no cut?

dumrick
dumrick

ecapox wrote:All you engineers:

What effect does a cut in the exhaust, like above, have on the exiting gasses? Does the cut create a low pressure area that fans the exhaust gasses further out than no cut?
I guess that it, at least, sets the direction of the exhaust flow, the pressure relief on the exit makes the flow escape in the normal direction of the cut-out.

ringo

I would say it exposes the exhaust to mix with the free stream air in a desired way.
The shape also manipulates the plume in a way that it does not go onto the wish bones and floor.
The shape also keeps the plume off the gear box. If you can imagine a normally cut pipe, like a chimney the gases escape and expand 360 degrees around the pipe orifice, this means for the old pipe they were running, the gases were expanding onto the centre of the car which is unavoidable with the proximity of the pipe.
Ferrari have been through this with their pipes as well.
This burrito shape with it's back and open face ensures the gas expansion is biased outwardly.

For Sure!!

volarchico
volarchico

Did anyone see Button's onboard video down the long fast stretch? It seemed to almost go unstable and I thought his camera was about to fall off. Any idea what would make this happen?

timbo
timbo

volarchico wrote:Did anyone see Button's onboard video down the long fast stretch? It seemed to almost go unstable and I thought his camera was about to fall off. Any idea what would make this happen?
Yeah, noticed that too.
Maybe it was damaged during pit-stop?

lotus7
lotus7

timbo wrote:
volarchico wrote:Did anyone see Button's onboard video down the long fast stretch? It seemed to almost go unstable and I thought his camera was about to fall off. Any idea what would make this happen?
Yeah, noticed that too.
Maybe it was damaged during pit-stop?
Broken camera gimbal- let's move on....