Metric vs Imperial units

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pup
Pup

Re: Metric vs Imperial units

mep wrote:When Mercedes really is the boss in this team than there is only the metrical system and no discusion about it.
Everybody complaining about is free to go.
:P
Norbert Haug wrote:"...maybe in the future there is a little bit more cubic inches and torque."
Norbert Haug wrote:"Toro Rosso have more horsepower - that is not a secret. It could be up to 10% more. Am I screaming and shouting? No, but if people ask me whether they have an advantage then I have to say yes."
Norbert Haug wrote:"We would much rather have this situation than one in which one driver was miles away from the other."

Pup
Pup

Just_a_fan wrote:I've seen people write "25.7cm" #-o; what's the point when 257mm or 0.257m does the job so well?
:lol: Only an engineer could write this. Are you really that hung up on where the little dot goes?

747heavy

Pup wrote:
mep wrote:When Mercedes really is the boss in this team than there is only the metrical system and no discusion about it.
Norbert Haug wrote:"...maybe in the future there is a little bit more cubic inches and torque."
Norbert Haug wrote:"Toro Rosso have more horsepower - that is not a secret. It could be up to 10% more. Am I screaming and shouting? No, but if people ask me whether they have an advantage then I have to say yes."
Norbert Haug wrote:"We would much rather have this situation than one in which one driver was miles away from the other."

nice one Pup [-o< - very funny :lol:

And BTW GPS is usally using this:

from there you can calculate your distance in whatever unit you like. Everything else would be difficult - unless your world is flat :wink:
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

xpensive
xpensive

Indeed Pup, who would date a 0.914 - 0.610 - 0.889? :D

Btw, as Haug has been disclosed as the lowest of the lowest, sorry scarbs, his statements are xcused as from now.

At smikle;
I honestly admit to more often than not using square cm times bar to estimate the force of a hydraulic cylinder.
I'm bad, I know.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

mep

Pup wrote:
Sould we forgive him?
He is not a engineer and doesn't know about the pain poor units can cause.

We should focus on his friends on McLaren.
Whenever I hear Hamilton or Denis talking about points of downforce in front of the camera my blood pressure raises. :evil:
Can't we take them to court for using unknown units in puplic.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mep wrote: Whenever I hear Hamilton or Denis talking about points of downforce in front of the camera my blood pressure raises. :evil:
Points of downforce is the way F1 talks about d/f. I don't know exactly what a 'point' is but I'm guessing it's a dimensionless unit...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

xpensive
xpensive

Belatti wrote:OK then, easy or not easy, its all just a matter of familiarize.

The problem is when you work in a country like mine, that has 50% imperial and 50% metric based technologies. You can see any workshop has both types of tools, and that represents more costs (tools are expensive) and confusion.

Still, for low torque applications you can tighten a 1/2" nut with a 13mm wrench :|
Right, but with a "Schwedenschlussel" you don't have to bother with that, correct marcush? :lol:

marcush.
marcush.

oh,in Germany it`s actually called Engländer.. :lol: :lol:

btw ,have you tried to make sense out of that measurement by converting it to inches...it does not make any more sense... :roll: :roll:
so the dudes deciding on this had something completely different on their minds..higher maths? ...not my league.

xpensive
xpensive

Engländer? Blasphemy, nothing less, marcush. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Petter_Johansson

No, I have tried the same on my side, but where 760.643 and 86.650 mm is coming from is a complete mystery.

mep

Just_a_fan wrote:
mep wrote: Whenever I hear Hamilton or Denis talking about points of downforce in front of the camera my blood pressure raises. :evil:
Points of downforce is the way F1 talks about d/f. I don't know exactly what a 'point' is but I'm guessing it's a dimensionless unit...
That is the problem nobody knows what it is.
When these guys stand in front of the camera then they speak to millions of people and none of them knows this unit. It's just their very lame way to lie to the fans or simply just hide their lack of knowledge.
Then they come up with sentences like Redbull has twice the points of downfoce than we have or this idea from Hamilton improved the car by 3 points of downforce.
All just trash talk.
They should remember that they stay in front of this camera to say anything to the people out there.
Not to pleasure themselves or the journalist.
You either stay silent or you are honest and bring real figures.
Every technical minded fan or engineer should get very angry about that.

There is only one unit for downforce and this is NEWTON.
When you want to be exact you say you have xxx N downfoce at a speed of yyy m/s.
This is the only way to do it.

You can come up now and say points are common in F1.
I tell you something can be common but it doesn't change the fact that it is big bullsh!t.
Last edited by mep on 21 Aug 2010, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive
xpensive

I'd be surprised to learn that these "downforce-points" were anything but percentage-units.

marcush.
marcush.

Ha ..but we happily accept points scored instead of gold medals ... :-)
seriously I understand that people prefer to talk about points first to aknowledge that this is a relative improvement according to their own measung devices ,so it does not necessaryly translate to on track performance and is not really comparable to ponts improved in the competitors garage...
To me the lausy job is the journos ,who just nod and not ask what that point may be worth in terms of performance or what the total score of points currently is ..giving some reasonable perspective to the quote...normally just don´t listen to drivers in public statements....and don´t listen to the Horners and Haugs...

xpensive
xpensive

Come to think about it marcush, Whitmarsh end Dennis are both businessmen, how do you measure improvements on the NY stock xchange anyway? :lol:

marcush.
marcush.

I ´m always knackered realising how hard it is to filter out useful information of the real interesting bit of Formula 1 ,the engineering side.
Even if this site has seen better times still we at least try to get a picture of what is going on technically and how the guys cope under the enourmous pressure to deliver week after week.

Mystery Steve
Mystery Steve

mep wrote:
There is only one unit for downforce and this is NEWTON.
When you want to be exact you say you have xxx N downfoce at a speed of yyy m/s.
This is the only way to do it.
You don't necessarily need to specify a velocity; Bernoulli works the same for everyone. Whenever I've seen it, a "point" of downforce typically relates to the dimensionless coefficient, and a "point" is 0.1 of the coefficient. So a 3 point increase means C_L increased by 0.3. If you check out some of the issues of Racecar Engineering from the past year (and maybe earlier... I first subscribed a year ago), Simon McBeath has a series where he conducts wind tunnel testing on various vehicles, and this is the convention he uses. It's actually a practical unit when discussing aerodynamic improvements among peers.