Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Tim.Wright

Re: Red Bull RB6

Yea these exactly are the suspicions. The answer will come out in time I'm sure.

I hope Red Bull eventually release a good technical write up about this car. Might need to wait a few years but will be a good read.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

timbo
timbo

I wonder how flexing of floor is measured?
What is reference for the flexing?
Could it be that RedBulls floor is flexing together with a bigger part of the chassis (akin to "double chassis" Lotus 80), so it is flexing together with reference?

marcush.
marcush.

timbo wrote:I wonder how flexing of floor is measured?
What is reference for the flexing?
Could it be that RedBulls floor is flexing together with a bigger part of the chassis (akin to "double chassis" Lotus 80), so it is flexing together with reference?
thats my line of thought...if the rocker arm axle anchoring points or even the ARB mounting points go into a situation at full load resulting in a flexing of the mounting point for the splitter in an upward direction you had the perfect solution,as the suspension loads will not be present in the garage check...the thing will be stiff enough to pass the test...on track the splitter will shy away from the track under full load...
what about REDBULL having monococoque issues again and again... I´m suspicious there..

aral
aral

There have been numerous allegations made about the RB6, but so far, all have been unfounded. Don't start off another unproven theory. Why not just accept that it is the overall cohesive package that makes the car fast.

timbo
timbo

gilgen wrote:There have been numerous allegations made about the RB6, but so far, all have been unfounded. Don't start off another unproven theory. Why not just accept that it is the overall cohesive package that makes the car fast.
This time it is geometry constraints that make people wonder. Pretty obvious stuff.
Maybe it is easier and they are able to run much higher rear ride-hight (giving them more rake), because their diffuser/EBD arrangement is so effective.

mep

Wouldn't even a flexing floor cause some sparks/dust on the ground?

aral
aral

mep wrote:Wouldn't even a flexing floor cause some sparks/dust on the ground?
IF there was a flexing floor, and I don't believe that there is, it would not cause dust or sparks. The plank is there to ensure that car cannot run too low. Dust from the plank would indicate wear, that would exceed the permitted amount.

Timbos suggestion that it is in the nose down attitude seems to be the most logical.

marcush.
marcush.

look up the wear pattern of the flying webber floor ...how could someone explain that pattern ...when 1mm of wear is allowed only?
this pattern needs a special shape of the plank... when you are only allowed 1 mm of wear ....and only allowed a tlerance of +/- 1mm in flatness it seems very suspect to see this pattern emerging...
But also:
3.12.6 To help overcome any possible manufacturing problems, and not to permit any design which may contravene any part of these regulations, dimensional tolerances are permitted on bodywork situated between a point lying 330mm behind the front wheel centre line and the rear wheel centre line. A vertical tolerance of +/- 5mm is permissible across the surfaces lying on the reference and step planes and a horizontal tolerance of 5mm is permitted when assessing whether a surface is visible from beneath the car.

The plank itself is only required to be paralell .. so the mounting surface to which the plank is mounted can be 10(!) mm out of paralell from the reference plane starting from rear axle line to leading edge of the plank ...or could form a curve....interesting indeed.

So I´d guess Newey has stretched the manufacturing tolerances to make things work for him ...with some curve and wedge in the bottom face of the tub you will be able to runn the car a lot lower ...avoiding the plank leading edge to touch the ground first..

madly wrote:Image
Last edited by marcush. on 22 Aug 2010, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.

wesley123
wesley123

for an non-flexing floor that wear is pretty strange aint it? I mean, at the tip and where the floor starts there was nearly no wear at all, imo the only thing that could cause such thing is an flexing floor. You also see the car bottoming out alot, imo the floor gets pressed downwards when in turns to increase downforce, such thing is an much more powerful device then the EBD.

The spots with no wear are at the start and end of the flat floor, wich is really interresting when there is said by you guys(which i could make up lol) that the floor doesnt flex, i cannot think of another explaination for this weird wear then an flexi floor
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

aral
aral

marcush. wrote:look up the wear pattern of the flying webber floor ...how could someone explain that pattern ...when 1mm of wear is allowed only?
this pattern needs a special shape of the plank... when you are only allowed 1 mm of wear ....and only allowed a tlerance of +/- 1mm in flatness it seems very suspect to see this pattern emerging...
But also:
3.12.6 To help overcome any possible manufacturing problems, and not to permit any design which may contravene any part of these regulations, dimensional tolerances are permitted on bodywork situated between a point lying 330mm behind the front wheel centre line and the rear wheel centre line. A vertical tolerance of +/- 5mm is permissible across the surfaces lying on the reference and step planes and a horizontal tolerance of 5mm is permitted when assessing whether a surface is visible from beneath the car.

The plank itself is only required to be paralell .. so the mounting surface to which the plank is mounted can be 10(!) mm out of paralell from the reference plane starting from rear axle line to leading edge of the plank ...or could form a curve....interesting indeed.

So I´d guess Newey has stretched the manufacturing tolerances to make things work for him ...with some curve and wedge in the bottom face of the tub you will be able to runn the car a lot lower ...avoiding the plank leading edge to touch the ground first..

madly wrote:Image
The plank is made from a very hard wood (name eludes me at the moment). However the wear pattern vissible would be easily explained by riding the kerbs, and when the only part of the car that is in contact with the track surface, would be the plank. Otherwise, it the car was dragging the plank, the full length of the surface would be showing signs of wear.

marcush.
marcush.

do you see the patterns ? the plank is painted black and anything in light colour shows wer the plank actually hits the grround.

the yellow elipses are a carryover from the post I stole the picture from..sorry.
Last edited by marcush. on 22 Aug 2010, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123
wesley123

so if the light colour is wear that means the floor is pulled up in some ay imho
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.
marcush.

wesley123 wrote:so if the light colour is wear that means the floor is pulled up in some ay imho

look up my post...there is a substantial degree of freedom towards how precise you have to manufacture each and every surface vs the reference plane.
so in fact you can design a wedge ,a curve whatever is suited to prevent your plank to hit the ground in a ways that is not to your liking and claim it was just not possible for your outfit to achieve a better paralellism on grounds of your working precision.. :mrgreen: the tolerance is a staggering +/-5mm to the reference plane!
the plank itself just has to be made from that a material with a specific density:

b) be made from an homogeneous material with a specific gravity between 1.3 and 1.45.

I personally do not understand why they use Jabroc...why not use something more resistant to abrasion?

the material is normally quoted as jabroc..:(borrowed from the site below)

Jabroc® is a non-impregnated, densified wood laminate developed especially for a wide range of industrial applications. Selected beech veneers are kiln dried to a given moisture content, cut and assembled into packs with a film of synthetic resin coating the individual veneers. The packs are then subjected to extreme pressure and temperature, causing them to be bonded to form laminated boards.

By varying the laminating pressure and veneer grain direction in the pack assembly it is possible to produce material having various densities and strengths.

The material has been used in a wide range of applications over the years; Spitfire Propeller Blades, Underbody Skid Boards on racing cars, and Tooling in the Aerospace industry.

http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/jabroc-c-485.html

ringo

The splitter movement may relate to relative suspension movement between front and rear.
I remember we had the discussion about redbull's suspension ages ago; maybe this ties into the nose of the car coming down.
just a reminder:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7658&start=825

At the time i thought the car's rake was changing because the rear was rising disproportionately from the front because of the fuel level. Now a similar method could play well with the wing or nose movement.

For Sure!!

marcush.
marcush.

rake is not a constant.
All teams work with rake ,some more some less .Sauber has changed to let their rear have more degree in freedom vertically now.
The aim would be to have lots of rake in the slower stuff (it will add wing AoA as well..)and have the rear take a set with speed and shed drag when travelling onlong straights ...nothing new there.