Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

mstar wrote:how come we can get away using toyotas wind tunnel? did Mclaren group purchase them? and i am surprised they are better then what mclaren had before?
you mean how "they" can get away?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

I think the Toyota wind tunnel is open for the public now. You can rent it out if you wish, as long as you have the money.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

autogyro
autogyro

How the balances shift.
No way to get the bendy front wing away from RB, or match the overall downforce from their B Diffuser.
Looks like McLaren are casting around a bit here for the answer.

thestig84
thestig84

raymondu999 wrote:So. They CAN take it off. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86076
Yes they can NOW. Read the bottom of the article and you will see the that previous to this new Monza package they had no alternative.

wesley123
wesley123

probably comes with different bodywork too. I expect really low wing angles and an engine cover like they ran it last year.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

Like they ran the -24 last year? I'd have thought that would've been too much of a departure from their aerodynamic package, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

wesley123 wrote:probably comes with different bodywork too. I expect really low wing angles and an engine cover like they ran it last year.
Yeah, I guess the rear wing is already smallish and with not that steep AoA stalling it doesn't cut drag.

segedunum
segedunum

They don't really have much alternative. They run so little wing at Monza that the drag penalty is minimal. The F-duct is more likely to disrupt things. It'll be interesting to see what rear wing they have for this.

wesley123
wesley123

I believe McLaren always seem to be running much less wing then others, they were the only team running an one-plane wing in previous events. I believe mclaren will just focus on straight line speed, if they have focussed too much on the corners they are dead meat, there is no way they are going to challenge the Red Bulls on cornering speed.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

aral
aral

segedunum wrote:They don't really have much alternative. They run so little wing at Monza that the drag penalty is minimal. The F-duct is more likely to disrupt things. It'll be interesting to see what rear wing they have for this.
McLaren have announced that they are removing the f-duct, for Spa.

Gilles 27

This is realy strange, McLaren did always say that the F-Duct was build it to have more Topspeed... so in Monza, the only Highspeed Circuit, they don't use it???

Have always thought that the F-Duct in Monza would be an advantage.
They could set the wing higher for the Chicane and still have a high top speed.

Phillyred
Phillyred

I would think since the overall AoA on the rear wing would be at it's minimum for the year yielding such little relative down force (compared to other circuit requirements) that the stalling affect that the f-duct produces would be negligible and if anything have a detrimental affect on the overall rear aero-efficiency.

ell66
ell66

gilgen wrote:
segedunum wrote:They don't really have much alternative. They run so little wing at Monza that the drag penalty is minimal. The F-duct is more likely to disrupt things. It'll be interesting to see what rear wing they have for this.
McLaren have announced that they are removing the f-duct, for Spa.

not the havnt! its monza!!

ringo

thestig84 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:So. They CAN take it off. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86076
Yes they can NOW. Read the bottom of the article and you will see the that previous to this new Monza package they had no alternative.
How do you know at what point in time the part was able to be removed? :P

They always could. It was no big deal to remove it, but they had no real reason to; the part wasn't harming the car in any way. Some like to believe the F duct has a compromise, but it doesn't.
It was staying on the car in monaco because it had a benefit there. Whitmarsh was probably hiding this fact and was playing down the adaptability of the part.

The F duct was never an integral part to the car that required a whole redesign or a hacksaw to remove. It was just a modular piece that gave a non-compromising advantage.
For Sure!!