Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
747heavy

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

could be
on the other hand, it could be part of a "wet" engine map, to have less engine braking
to prevent rear wheel lock ups.
Incidently, it is helpful for both EBD and to prevent rear wheel lock ups, due to engine braking (negative torque).
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

raymondu999

Anyone notice how the McLarens seemed to be so surefooted (except for Lewis's little trip to the gravel. I bet China 2007 (or was it 2008?) was flashing right before his eyes) in the wet? I have a theory that the McLarens are actually mechanically excellent cars. They get good traction out of slow corners, they have a massive nose that seems to just turn in on command, and they have such good footing in the wet. It's just that the way they set the car up with ultra-stiff springs seems to nullify a bit of that advantage.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

Is curious, Hamiltonn didnt race with the new front wing:

But Button did:

zgred

McLaren not as bulletproof as Ferrari:

raymondu999

Maybe it's because Lewis was faster in practice and he was higher in the championship :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

raymondu999 wrote:Maybe it's because Lewis was faster in practice and he was higher in the championship :mrgreen:
Kind of Red Bull front wing controversy :mrgreen: But in the opposite way; this time Lewis was using the old one and Jenson the new one :lol:

But I really want to know why they were using different front wings and what differences they would create in terms of downforce. Any idea :?:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

I think that it was just drivers prefrence because if I am honest I do not think their was much in it.

Jensons wing was working as good as hamiltons and it was was damaged (albiet very lightly).

On the McLaren Development, one has to wonder how accurate their wind tunnel is because their recent developments have not exactly been as good as Ferrari or Renalts out of the box.

JMN
JMN

senftl wrote:
The profile looks similar to the one used in Turkey/Canada, but the slits (on the endplate) are diagonal now. Didn't notice that before... at least on the mclaren.
Both cars ran with horizontal slits in the rear wing in the race though.
Image. Pretty sure they opted to change the endplate for the older design for FP3.

Earth

In friday practice on 5 live said that Jenson is using high downdforce package from Hungaroring, so it's why they have different front wing :)

Pierre6
Pierre6

Hi guys!

Does anybody knows which of the upcoming circuits suits the McLaren without extra updates?

Cheers!

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

monza

Holm86

JMN wrote:
senftl wrote:
The profile looks similar to the one used in Turkey/Canada, but the slits (on the endplate) are diagonal now. Didn't notice that before... at least on the mclaren.
Both cars ran with horizontal slits in the rear wing in the race though.
Image. Pretty sure they opted to change the endplate for the older design for FP3.

As i wrote earlier at least one of the mclarens ran the horizontal slits allready in FP1.

747heavy

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Patrickl
Patrickl

jason.parker.86 wrote:On the McLaren Development, one has to wonder how accurate their wind tunnel is because their recent developments have not exactly been as good as Ferrari or Renalts out of the box.
All their development until the blown diffuser has been pretty good though.

McLaren said that they used the forced brake for a windtunnel overhaul. Indeed to fix some problems they notice with getting their blown diffusor package working on track.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

All Belgian GP Alonso/Barrichello accident related posts, starting with mine coincidentally, have been moved into that thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.