Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Carlo's
Carlo's

Re: Renault R31

Look at these super small front brake ducts:

SLC
SLC

BreezyRacer wrote:
horse wrote:That's diffuser stall right? This diagram from Katz (2006) shows it coming on with reduced ride height. I was just wondering if you might bring this effect on quicker with the Renault system?

I'm sorry, I think 'choke' was the wrong word.
Horse,
Keep in mind that diffuser angles are largely controlled in F1 thru it's interaction with the beam and rear wings. The wing "pull" allows for very steep angles without breaking the flow into turbulence. once you get turbulent flow in the diffuser it's not working anymore. The 50 mm stepped floor pretty much eliminates the idea that the floor is ever going to get close to ground to choke off the diffuser .. that was the reason for the stepped floor design in the first place. Thank Senna, who paid the ultimate price to make the point that we cannot let these cars choke off the diffusers ..
Diffuser stall is very much a part of modern F1 aerodynamics.

Also, yes, the Renault brake ducts are quite small, but I know they have made significant cooling improvements in the design of their vented brake discs over the past 18 months. Thus, the required duct inlet size has reduced.

horse

Is this elbow part working like an extension of the front wing?

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Blackout

Carlo's wrote:Look at these super small front brake ducts:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/541 ... 15ac_b.jpg
Page 38
horse wrote:Is this elbow part working like an extension of the front wing?

No that vane is mounted on the wheel...
Renault introduced them in Valencia 2010 and Red Bull copied them in Suzuka.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

horse wrote:Is this elbow part working like an extension of the front wing?

In a way, yes. It will likely be interacting with a vortex coming off the front wing in order to control what happens around the front of the sidepod. By cleaning up the airflow behind the front wing, it might also improve the efficiency of the front wing too. These little things can be very powerful aero devices but can also increase the susceptibility of the cars to low quality flow when behind another car.

These things are classed, by the rules anyway, as part of the brake duct. The rear brake ducts have several wings on them these days too. Just another example of badly written rules...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

mith wrote:Well, that wing's already massively developed.
2009 wing. Still has actuator housing.

Raptor22
Raptor22

actuator housing ? Where?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

There. Merc still has it too, you can even see the actuator rod on thiers.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 03 Feb 2011, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor22
Raptor22

Thats just a connector rod to move the required elements during aerodynamic setup changes. Theres no electric motor in sight.
On a 3 plane wing the elements are joined so that the adjustment affects the incidence of all 3 elements

bjpower
bjpower

Just noticed the sponsors on the renault car
renault
lotus
lada

who are they going to add to the list next

Intego

Proton, then Sputnik and MIR. :mrgreen:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

mith

Boeing - and that one was pretty serious ;)

King Six
King Six

The joke is that they have three car companies associated with the team.

Ferrari have TATA in big letters on their rear wing, but further research indicates it's "Tata Consultancy Services" instead of the automotive division.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Raptor22 wrote:Thats just a connector rod to move the required elements during aerodynamic setup changes. Theres no electric motor in sight.
On a 3 plane wing the elements are joined so that the adjustment affects the incidence of all 3 elements
Never seen it pre-2009 i.e. before adjustable wings.

Also I never said the motor was there, teams appear to be running 2009 wings sans the actual motor ala mercedes