Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cravenciak
cravenciak

Re: Renault R31

djos

^^^ Wow, It has quite unique sound to it with FEE! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

mith wrote:Boeing - and that one was pretty serious ;)
Indeed - I gather there was some serious joint work done on bespoke CFD codes.

I would assume it would be the code Boeing would use for low-speed work.

cravenciak
cravenciak

djos wrote:^^^ Wow, It has quite unique sound to it with FEE! 8)

=D

mith

kilcoo316 wrote:
mith wrote:Boeing - and that one was pretty serious ;)
Indeed - I gather there was some serious joint work done on bespoke CFD codes.

I would assume it would be the code Boeing would use for low-speed work.
That's what I heard too.

What I'm wondering is what's going on with Kubica's times in that long stint. He somehow managed to keep pretty much same times for all the laps while normally he should be getting gradually slower.

Ferraripilot

Kubica's final 8 laps in a 25 lap stint were indeed considerable slower than the previous. I suspect it was due to substantial tire degradation.

mith

But what's interesting is the earlier part of that stint - 17 laps of pretty much the same times.

piotrek93
piotrek93

Hey, New on this website

Check out this embarising last picture on this site and read the headline
:lol:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 11713.html

Shafto
Shafto

piotrek93 wrote:Hey, New on this website

Check out this embarising last picture on this site and read the headline
:lol:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 11713.html
Oops! :D

myurr
myurr

mith wrote:But what's interesting is the earlier part of that stint - 17 laps of pretty much the same times.
Which is good but not special. Schumacher managed 18 laps of pretty much the same times with only one second of degradation, but over the first 17 laps was 8 seconds faster than Kubica. We don't know fuel loads, etc., so it's hard to read too much into it, but if we see that repeated at the next couple of tests then I think we can begin to get a feel for the lay of the land.

timbo
timbo

Doesn't work here.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Please no more Kubica-crash discussion in here. Take it to the recently created specific thread.

edit: I have just moved all of those recent posts over to "that" thread.

:arrow: Kubica's in hospital
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Blackout

What do you think of R31's sidepod inlets and outlets ? why are the inlets so huge ? is it really only because of the FEE ? and why are the outlets shaped in that way ? They are not ordinary. If Renault needed ordinary outlets, they would design outlets a la R30; circular and high in order to free space above the floor. But R31 outlets are low, flatened, connected to the diffuser and blow just above it... they 'sacrify a lot of useful space above the floor and ahead of the diffuser...
What do you think about it ?

The FI has similar outlets... but it has exhaust pipes inside them, unlike the Renault.

http://i79.servimg.com/u/f79/14/79/55/26/016_2_10.jpg

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Genius... Exhausts feed the underside of the diffuser but even smarter might be the fact that renault is funneling air through the huge radiator inlets and blowing it evenly over the top of the diffuser. Most other teams are exiting this air into free space ala red bull while renault is utilizing it and dispersing it evenly to blow the top of the diffuser via bottle necking.

Wont be the fastest car in a straight line but it will probably produce the most DF and in turn help them get closer to that 1.5 seconds to activate there moveable wing and then it wont really matter. Pretty damn smart if you ask me.

Can i be the first to dub the name blown side pods?

Funny that this has been right in front of us the whole time but its simple and we've been distracted by there front exiting exhausts the whole time.

raymondu999

Whether it produces most downforce I don't think we'll really know. Red Bull have quite a bit of headstart on the other teams on that last year, despite having a very small diffuser. The hot air exhaust really is quite a good idea though. But why do they not choose to direct all of that over the diffuser? THey still have an exhaust in the middle under the wing there.

Just a question though. For the exhaust in the middle of the engine cover like the Red Bull, blowing into empty space, does it actually serve any purpose, still?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法