Kubica's Recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
reikorp
reikorp

Re: Kubica's in hospital

Well, nothing can be said for sure yet. Even doctors dont know how long will it last to recover.

Anyway waiting sucks, i've read about half of the internet, almost learned italian and found out that... we all have to wait.

There is the other side of the story as well. In Enstone we have over 100 highly rated professionals who were there because of RK and expecting him to deliver some strong results. It was never about Vitali. The brave R31 project now looks like the last Toyota to me. Nice car without a proper pilot. And that's because some 3rd class rally... Love is blind.

Callum

richard_leeds wrote:That explains the injuries to his right side when he was sitting on the left side of the car.

However, Armco isn't supposed to behave like that which raises a few questions....
How is it meant to behave?

- Are you remembering that it is 'normal' Armco and not from a racing track?

Predator

Here's the doctor speaking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEe0084HoT4

Get well Kubica!

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Callum wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:That explains the injuries to his right side when he was sitting on the left side of the car.

However, Armco isn't supposed to behave like that which raises a few questions....
How is it meant to behave?

- Are you remembering that it is 'normal' Armco and not from a racing track?
I would agree that the armco damage looks bizzare. Especially the section that is literaly in the engine bay! It is intended to disperse the energy from the crash. It is meant to flex a certain amount but not that much!

All you need to know here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_barrier

countersteer
countersteer

richard_leeds wrote:However, Armco isn't supposed to behave like that which raises a few questions....

I agree... The support post visible to the left of the photo doesn't look very substantial. I would also expect to see another within the frame.

FrukostScones

countersteer wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:However, Armco isn't supposed to behave like that which raises a few questions....

I agree... The support post visible to the left of the photo doesn't look very substantial. I would also expect to see another within the frame.
It is not unusual that cars get pierced by guardrail. I think it was just bad luck. But luckily he survived ! Go KUB!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

luca
luca

Maybe the key factors here are the supposedly very high speed of the car and the fact the car hit the guard rail at one of its ends. Unfortunately, a guard rail is no airfence.

Pup
Pup

Yes, it looks like he hit the end of the guardrail, which probably wasn't properly terminated. If that's the case, I don't see anything 'unusual.' There has been a fairly aggressive program in the US to either cap the rail ends with energy absorbing terminals, or replace guardrails entirely with cable barriers, to prevent just this sort of accident.

Had he hit one of these, he'd have had a much better chance of coming away unharmed...

All speculation, of course.

countersteer
countersteer

FrukostScones wrote:
It is not unusual that cars get pierced by guardrail. I think it was just bad luck. But luckily he survived ! Go KUB!

To your point... Image

Shrieker

Chubbs wrote:
Callum wrote:Sorry for all the links but i'm not sure how to link just a picture.

About 3/5 down the page is a picture of the car in the railings.

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... 19&st=1160
This is the picture: -
Oh my... How unlucky can you get... Get well soon is all i can say.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

nacho
nacho

I still don't understand how he hurt his right side hand and leg.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Good to see Fernando visit his friend.

reikorp
reikorp

Oh my... How unlucky can you get... Get well soon is all i can say.

Or how lucky can you get?

"10cm more to the left and we would have a serious problem" said Kuba Gerber - Robert's pilot. He didnt want to use that word, but he obviously thought about the guardrail in Kubica's chest causing his death.

So... "partly detached" hand and "crushed leg" isnt the worse you can get... so for today im happy he's in one piece, getting better.

luca
luca

The surgery on the leg has also been completed and Kubica is currently in the ICU: http://www.ivg.it/2011/02/incidente-di- ... nimazione/

Here's the latest press release about Kubica from the Lotus Renault GP Team: http://www.lotusrenaultgp.com/spip.php? ... 72&lang=en

djos

Doctors are saying 12 months of rehab required!!! :o
"In downforce we trust"