Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

Word is out this morning that Craig Pollock was seen seen at Enstone yesterday, which if true means that Jaques Villeneuve might also be in contention for Kubica's ride. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy if you ask me. =D>
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

raymondu999

xpensive wrote:Word is out this morning that Craig Pollock was seen seen at Enstone yesterday, which if true means that Jaques Villeneuve might also be in contention for Kubica's ride. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy if you ask me. =D>
Good joker too. I always liked his comic relief column in F1 Racing magazine. :mrgreen: Oh wait...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Byronrhys

Alain Prost is still alive right...

raymondu999

Maurice Hamilton reports that Renault are talking to Kimi de la Raikkonen
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123
wesley123

Again? I can remember such an article came in half an year ago too.

Plus it is rubbish as Raikkonen will already be driving WRC using an DS3 for 2011, dont know how he wants to mix that.

So or you have to be talking about Pedro de la Rosa, making it plausible or it is rubbish lol
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

2011F1
2011F1

Hulkenberg and Liuzzi interested for Kubica seat's

carvetia
carvetia

I don't think people are being very logical about choices, and just saying what they would like to see:

Kimi? No. He's not looking for a way back in to F1, why would he want a temporary job that interferes with his own rally team?! Sutil? 100% no. Why on earth would he give up his own seat in a reasonable car which he has helped develop, for an unknown duration in an unknown car developed for someone else?! Hulkenberg? Not worth the hassle. Sure he might be slightly faster than their other reserves but essentially has all the same drawbacks as them too. Barring some kind of swap deal with FI, what's the point when you have a ready and willing army of equally experienced drivers? Liuzzi? Come on...

Heidfeld is a no-brainer for me. He knows Kubica's style better than any other driver possibly could (you know the person who this car is ultimately for). He knows the Pirellis, he's got the cool head Renault need to bring the steady points (as i assume that will be their revised expectation for the season), and he's unattached.
Last edited by carvetia on 08 Feb 2011, 15:12, edited 2 times in total.

raymondu999

How about JV? Someone was saying about a possible return. It'll be ironic, seeing as Kubica was his replacement in 2006
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xpensive
xpensive

raymondu999 wrote:How about JV? Someone was saying about a possible return. It'll be ironic, seeing as Kubica was his replacement in 2006
The way I understand things, JV is more or less confirmed for Renault, which makes certain sense, he's got the xperience and has become a reliable journeyman over the years, easily outshone Heidfeld at Sauber only a few years back.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

raymondu999

really?How so? You mean word is he's signed, or do you mean that he's the most likely? Didn't they throw him out a few years back?

Btw, not really a contract thing, but didn't really see another appropriate thread. Anyone seen Vettel's H&S ad? :mrgreen:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgxlgl ... s-ad_sport

I wonder who the pic is on his locker. Nuvolari? Also, did he say Super gay person at 0:05? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pandamasque

xpensive wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:How about JV? Someone was saying about a possible return. It'll be ironic, seeing as Kubica was his replacement in 2006
The way I understand things, JV is more or less confirmed for Renault, which makes certain sense, he's got the xperience and has become a reliable journeyman over the years, easily outshone Heidfeld at Sauber only a few years back.
You must be kidding. :shock: I mean, I'd even hesitate to put Raikkonen in the car as he can be a bit rusty not having driven anything with meaningful downforce for a year, but JV??? I wouldn't mind seeing him back at all, he's a great character, but Renaultus urgently need someone that can help develop the car ASAP and be at 100% from day one. I'd pick Heidfeld, unless it's for more than 1 season. And there's hope it's not.
Last edited by Pandamasque on 08 Feb 2011, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Senna, Lotus, Villeneuve ... it just sounds like Renault are collecting a 2nd generation of famous names that should have been left behind.

JV was in decline back in 2006 : if MS had difficulty coming back, I doubt it'll be any easier for the 1997 WDC.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Pandamasque

By the way, remember that Martin guy who drove for the Enstone team to later become a rather good TV commentator? He recently finished 4th at Daytona 24h. Just saying.

FrukostScones

I think it's gonna be Heidfeld or Kimi. JV :lol: (I always liked him but :lol: )
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Richard
Richard

They could recall Mansell, he's done it before.

To be serious, they need someone with maturity who doesn't need hand holding. Someone who can come in and get in quick laps, give good feedback to the team, and most importantly avoid trouble in a race.

Remember how hard it was for Ferrari to find a competitive driver to replace Massa in 2009. Fisichella finished 9, 13, 10, 12, & 16 driving for Ferrari. We have to remember that Fisichella had a good record with Renault when he was 4th & 5th in the WDC in 05 & 07.

So LRGP have a problem, whoever they choose is likely to finish behind Petrov even if it is someone who is used to being in the top 6.