Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Re: Renault R31

Now were getting somewhere! Thanks for the illustration lindz! Although I think I couldve done a better job with my crayon set. Hahaha

Has anyone seen a photo showing flowviz around those sidepod exits? Or a photo that is shot from higher up looking down at the top of the diffuser with some flowviz in the area?

tom12333
tom12333

I think it might be the case. Take a look at the temperature stickers and the hole above the diffuser...

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

I would imagine that it feeds the starter hole as well. Now with the front blowing exhaust feeding the top and bottom of the diffuser plus the blown sidepods plus the natural flow of air from the sides you have a very efficient diffuser feed. I think the Renault is definitely the car to copy this year even if it's not the fastest. It sucks that kubica is most likely out for the season... It shows that Renault really worked hard to give him a great car this year and he was definitely "the driver" to win it for them.

tom12333
tom12333

It's so sad for all Polish fans. We do not know yet how good the car really is but still it's a great loss not to watch Robert there. It would be so much worse if the car is good enough to win (good for team but bad for RK). Now it's more important to see him all safe and sound. We'll see.

forty-two

tom12333 wrote:It's so sad for all Polish fans. We do not know yet how good the car really is but still it's a great loss not to watch Robert there. It would be so much worse if the car is good enough to win (good for team but bad for RK). Now it's more important to see him all safe and sound. We'll see.
On the contrary, I think it's sad for ALL fans.

I'm not Polish but enjoy watching Robert drive.

It is however nice to see all the other teams wishing him well.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Despite the fact that there may or may not bet be a tunnel to carry air around the radiators, the new red bull engine cover proves that the pressure built by wind collected in the sidepods is significant. Red bull has a different philosophy with no pressure build up wanted and thats why they had to make the rear opening even larger to allow the air to flow freely. This proves that the flow of air through is sufficient to supply the tiny holes in the back with a high pressure flow of air... With or without tunnels

Lindz

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:Despite the fact that there may or may not bet be a tunnel to carry air around the radiators, the new red bull engine cover proves that the pressure built by wind collected in the sidepods is significant. Red bull has a different philosophy with no pressure build up wanted and thats why they had to make the rear opening even larger to allow the air to flow freely. This proves that the flow of air through is sufficient to supply the tiny holes in the back with a high pressure flow of air... With or without tunnels
Yeah, even without tunnels, the R31 most probably (based on previous Renaults) has very high-flow 'low fin count' radiators. A byproduct to them having low drag is that for cooling they need a lot of flow (and air speed). Renault is able to handle a lot of air in the sidepods and then do something with it besides just cooling. Red Bull's philosophy is much more about limiting (and then maximizing efficiency of)the air that goes in.

Different schools of thought. 2011 is a cool season already!

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Lindz wrote:
AbbaleRacing77 wrote:Despite the fact that there may or may not bet be a tunnel to carry air around the radiators, the new red bull engine cover proves that the pressure built by wind collected in the sidepods is significant. Red bull has a different philosophy with no pressure build up wanted and thats why they had to make the rear opening even larger to allow the air to flow freely. This proves that the flow of air through is sufficient to supply the tiny holes in the back with a high pressure flow of air... With or without tunnels
Yeah, even without tunnels, the R31 most probably (based on previous Renaults) has very high-flow 'low fin count' radiators. A byproduct to them having low drag is that for cooling they need a lot of flow (and air speed). Renault is able to handle a lot of air in the sidepods and then do something with it besides just cooling. Red Bull's philosophy is much more about limiting (and then maximizing efficiency of)the air that goes in.

Different schools of thought. 2011 is a cool season already!
Exactly!

Blackout

Blackout wrote:
ringo wrote: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... e_2011.jpg

temp sensors in the same area indicated by the flow?
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... xhaust.jpg

on to something here :)
And

Blackout

Lindz wrote:
Yeah, even without tunnels, the R31 most probably (based on previous Renaults) has very high-flow 'low fin count' radiators.
are these high-flow 'low fin count' radiators ?

Lindz

Blackout wrote:
Lindz wrote:
Yeah, even without tunnels, the R31 most probably (based on previous Renaults) has very high-flow 'low fin count' radiators.
are these high-flow 'low fin count' radiators ?

img
img
Haha. Compared to a Ford Fiesta or? Look at how much more vertical and small they are in comparison to the RB6...

Also, you should know since you posted this pic originally, look how forward facing they are on the R31. Unless you want the aero of a brick, they are going to open the radiators up to flow more air (and blow that floor!)

Someone get high-res and let's count bars and fins!

Blackout

It wasn't a sarcastic question, I was serious ;)

Lindz

I would have asked it sarcastically to myself! I obviously didn't design either of those cars and I'm just speculating (based on sound theories/principles, though!).

timbo
timbo

Lindz wrote:I would have asked it sarcastically to myself! I obviously didn't design either of those cars and I'm just speculating (based on sound theories/principles, though!).
I think it's sound.
Maybe Renault have even more vertical placements of the radiators this year.
The huge opening and relatively low-resistance radiator arrangement chosen to have pretty high energy flow above the diffuser exiting those outlets.

ringo

The flow under the engine cover is very turbulent, you'd be surprised to know how much velocity is dissipated before it exits the car.
It's not like it's an empty frictionless pipe with a nozzle on the end.
The radiators, the exhaust pipe bundle, the Kers and oil coolers. Lots of obstructions under there.

The top of the diffuser needs more than hot air, it needs mass flow.

We see temp sensors, but a pitot array in that cowling would be on the car if they were interested in the thrust from the hot radiator air.

The starter hole thing is also starting to look less factual. Some gas may flow through it, but i don't think it's substantial compared to last years DDD holes.

Virgin racing shows this with their pipes turned away from the starter hole.
For Sure!!