Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Afterburner

Re: Renault R31

SLC
SLC

BreezyRacer wrote:Interesting design on the lower nose strakes on the renault. They really look like they've morphed into winglets. Skirting legality here?

No, no legality issues. They've been running chassis wings like this since beginning of 2010.

kalinka
kalinka

Why they run temp sensor stickers on rear suspension arms, if they have FEE ?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

If the air impinging on the suspension arm is recorded as hot then you have an idea where the exhaust flow is actually going...

If all of those stickers come back as ambient then they know something about the flow or at least something about where it isn't going.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

kalinka
kalinka

That was my thinking too, but I just couldn't believe myself that hot gases from FEE could get that far back...but seems it's the only answer though.

Paul

Maybe they don't believe themselves, that's why they are testing it. :)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

kalinka wrote:That was my thinking too, but I just couldn't believe myself that hot gases from FEE could get that far back...but seems it's the only answer though.
It's not difficult to believe - you can feel the warm air from the a road car's radiator at the back of the car if conditions are right. The engine needs to be hot and the fan running of course. The exhaust gases from an F1 engine will certainly be hot enough, and a deal more concentrated, for the same effect to happen but to an even more marked degree.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

It will be an awesome picture the first time one of these engines explodes...

We'll see the smoke trails and also the car will likely fall off the road as the oil will be streaming down the sides of the car!

A lovely car and am very glad it seems to be going well.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

madly
madly

HiRes: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 011_21.jpg

Antenna moved to the front wing pillars.
What's hanging under R31 nose, before splitter? Is it something to measure air velocity? TV camera?

EDIT: typos.

Shrek
Shrek

ride height sensor
Spencer

raymondu999

madly wrote:[image]
HiRes: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 011_21.jpg

Antenna moved to the front wing pillars.
What's hanging under R31 nose, before splitter? Is it something to measure air velocity? TV camera?

EDIT: typos.
The two black winglets on the FW supports are TV cameras
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Remote_Access
Remote_Access

kalinka wrote:That was my thinking too, but I just couldn't believe myself that hot gases from FEE could get that far back...but seems it's the only answer though.
For the purposes of illustration, if the exhaust gas emits at a velocity equal with the ground, then it will take 0.02s for said gas to reach the rear of the car (1.5m or so) at 250km/h. 0.02s is not a lot of time to cool down, although its hard to know how the gases disperse and mix with ambient air.

Which is, I guess, the point of those temp stickers. The key insight is not how far back they are, it's the fact that they are above the floor. It may give a crude measure of how much gas is mixing above the floor (rather than underneath) either to verify the design or tune the system. Or, it's just simple due diligence.

Blackout

#-o
Please read the previous posts and pages. We won't reapeat the same questions, answers, photos thousand times...

According to Autosport, theRB7 and The R31 were always the fastest this week in turn number 4...

Remote_Access
Remote_Access

Was that intended for me? If so, I have been following the thread closely thank you. And after pages of questions, answers and pictures, no-one is yet sure what is going on, so it's entirely reasonable to wonder out-loud why they might have temperature stickers in a particular place.

Blackout

Not you, Breezy racer, madly... :wink: