Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: Mercedes GP W02

The FOZ wrote:
bot6 wrote:I very much doubt that they are using the W01 chassis, since it would be non-compliant with the new weight distribution requirements. Also, the car would show its old roll blade. And they would have to fit the KERS in somehow.

This test car is definitely a new chassis. Might not be the final racing version of the new chassis, but it's definitely more W02 than W01.

What we know for sure is we will see a new exhaust layout and a new front wing on the W02 come the next test. These updates were announced by Brawn. This will probably come with at least a slight modification of the diffuser and floor, since the exhaust will not blow on them in the same way.

As for the other parts of the car (airbox and sidepods mainly), we won't know before the 8th.
I may have confused you by misusing "chassis" in my previous post. I was referring to the survival cell (tub) only.

I'll restate:

They could be using the survival cell from the W01 (homologated in 2010) with updated bodywork, nose, suspension, and wings. I don't know of any rule prohibiting this.

The weight distribution isn't a problem using the W01 survival cell - the final weight of the car (obviously) is determined by the entire group of components - and if needed, teams can add ballast as needed, so long as the car doesn't go below 291kg (front) and 340 kg (rear). Further, the weight distro rules (and most technical regs, in fact) only apply to practice, races and qualifying. Preseason testing and in-season testing are not covered in many cases.

The advantage to delaying the homologation of a survival cell is that it allows the team the maximum amount of time to make changes to the survival cell design based on any new concepts they saw other teams running. The case of the F-duct was a good example - many teams lagged or were unable to incorporate the ducting to their cars because they couldn't alter the survival cell design once it was homologated. In that case, I'd certainly send a few bogus tubs for crash testing that I know would fail, as a rumor of difficulties in crash tests would nicely cover up my actual intentions...

Looking strictly at the tub, I've seen nothing that suggest the car being run so far this isn't a W01 tub with different bodywork and wings, and we wouldn't likely know this unless someone from the team actually admitted it.

I'll alter my prediction a bit, though. Whichever tub they're running, whichever roll structure they're running, there's nothing stopping them from adding dummy bodywork to conceal the true geometry - which might be the reason for the very rough looking air intake/roll hoop area. I'll venture that they've got a 2011-legal blade roll structure hiding under some bondo.

+1
It is entirely feasible that they are using a modified W01 Tub since there is a lot of similarity. Look at how the lower wishbones meets the bottom of the tub. Nearly identical...
We need to get some definitions clear on this forum.
The Safety cell is the bit the driver sits in.
The Chassis comprises the Safety cell, the floor and the suspension.

We have been using the word Chassis to often to describe the Safety Cell and I think I've been guilty of it in past posts too.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Raptor22 wrote:The Chassis comprises the Safety cell, the floor and the suspension.

We have been using the word Chassis to often to describe the Safety Cell and I think I've been guilty of it in past posts too.
If this is the way the alleged McLaren Twitter poster sees the chassis it would go totally in line with what we've been assuming here. There'll be a lot of new aero while the chassis itself was tested heavily until now. New aero doesn't need as much testing as the mechanical package. It either works, or it doesn't and has to be ammended. There not something like: Unreliable aero ;) (only for Virgins where wings tend to fall off..)

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Interesting:
"Wir denken, dass wir mit dem Update eine Sekunde gefunden haben, aber man weiß nie, was die Konkurrenz macht. Wir folgen unserem Plan und in Melbourne werden wir sehen, ob er aufgegangen ist", erklärte Brawn.
http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/forme ... -plan.html

Translation:
"We think we found 1 second with the coming update, but one can't know what the others are doing. We are following our plan and we'll see in Melbourne if it worked.", said Brawn.

Mandrake
Mandrake

1 second? Sounds too good to be true.......

I wish that all the teams would just not talk to the media every day. It be nicer if they just showed up at the next test / first race with an upgraded car that kicks ass. btw. that's not exclusive for MGP, I wish they'd all do that.

earlrue
earlrue

Interesting quotes and crash test failure rumours on http://www.f1sa.com/

-----
Ross Brawn has revealed that Mercedes' 2011 Formula One car is "about a second" off the pace.

There had been concerns about the W02's performance following the initial winter tests, but team figures insist a major upgrade package is scheduled for the start of the season.

"We're about a second off where we want to be, which is at the front, so we've got to find a second in the upgrade which we think we can do," team boss Brawn told BBC radio on Thursday.

"But you never know what others will do, we've set out our plan and we'll know in Melbourne if it's right," he added.

However, rumours are circulating that the Melbourne upgrade, featuring a new exhaust layout, has failed the FIA crash tests.

"Performance, obviously from what we've seen on the track, at the moment is not as good as we would like," team Chief Executive Nick Fry told Reuters.
-----

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I dont think we will see a hugely changed car, Maybe 85%/90% of what we see will be the car lining up on the grid.
The final 10% however will be pivotal to their season. Front wing, Side pods and Exhaust.
I dont know if these three things alone can overcome the 1 second difference Brawn is talking of.

A three plane front wing will certainly help. But what influence will this have on the cars use of its Tyres?
The sidepods change will have a modest impact at best, and the Exhaust mods, well, thats anybodys guess.
If as Brawn says they used a basic spec car and are only 1 second off the pace, you can see why they arent panicking. The enigma of the car is what will these upgrades do?
My Prediction is bring them around 0.5 seconds closer and also give them far better race pace and Tyre degredation than what we have seen so far.

If they get closer than this, I think we may see a Mercedes victory at some stage in the year. All will hinge on how the W02 uses its tyres throughout the race, as one lap pace will only count you in good stead in qualy...but no good if you have to make the extra pit stop because you tyres are kaput.
More could have been done.
David Purley

csponton
csponton

big problem at MERCEDES

http://spontoncristiano.wordpress.com/2 ... -mercedes/
The Mercedes is facing a race against time in order to save the 2011 season which begins March 27 on the circuit in Melbourne. The engineers, after analyzing a series of data, they realized to be 2 seconds slower than race pace on Red Bull and Ferrari while they are slightly more competitive in qualifying conditions (low fuel). The team will focus on a number of important pier aggiornementi to be introduced in next week's test in Barcelona. This series of upgrades include:

- New releases;

- New brake air intakes;

- New baffles to direct air flow as much as possible under the floor of the car;

- New design of the sides.

The engineers are convinced that the machine in the current configuration will struggle even to get into Q2 and Q3 would be an impossible dream. Even the drivers Schumacher and above are very unhappy with the handling of the car so much that the German champion began to arise many doubts about his return to the circus because even in this season will fight for the title.

Rumors AUTOSPORT known British motoring magazine, quotes a report in which it is revealed the new Mercedes MGPW02 has not yet passed the crash tests required by the FIA in order to compete in the 2011 season. These tests must be passed before the opening race in Melbourne on March 27. in the team, however, are not worried about this, because they are convinced to pass the crash test soon.

PROBLEMS THAT THE MERCEDES WILL 'BE ANSWERED:

1.MANCANZA OF GRIP: the Mercedes lacks both stability in fast corners than in the lens due to lack of downforce and mechanical grip;

2. DECAY OF TIRES: The Mercedes car was one of the worst in terms of tire degradation during the long run these tests in pre stagionali.Rosberg was able to simulate the decay significantly reducing a race but the lap times were disastrous;

3.Al FRONT: Due to the low downforce generating the frame and also the front wing, engineers are planning to introduce in the next test a new front wing is characterized by three elements (triple);

4. Cooling problem: During the test MGPW02 has suffered a lot of problems with overheating of internal components. Glia t an y to be introduced should resolve the problem.

MY FINAL CONSIDERATIONS: If we analyze in detail the technical status of the car I would say it is impossible to make a fast car that has been slow with some simple updates. I would say that there are serious issues underlying the design is not said can be solved by Mercedes engineers and technicians.

Mandrake
Mandrake

csponton wrote:big problem at MERCEDES
While I appreciate the work you put into writing down all that stuff, I think that article apart from the typical Google translate nonsense is just like German BILD Zeitung or the famous british tabloids....Post up a sensational headline and add up as many bad rumors as you can find to attract the readers.......

Ferraripilot

If all the changes they are making work as well on paper as they do in real-world testing, a second+ is attainable. It's not like they are searching for a tenth here or there with a new wing, but they are revamping pretty much the entire ride. :shock:

PlatinumZealot

I hope maximising the pull rod is on the list of changes. Notice that it angled too far bacwards, interrupting the flow near the beam wing. They also need to raise up the beam wing; make it a floating design like redbull and willliams. Just a few things I think can make a difference.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ferraripilot wrote:If all the changes they are making work as well on paper as they do in real-world testing, a second+ is attainable. It's not like they are searching for a tenth here or there with a new wing, but they are revamping pretty much the entire ride. :shock:

The problem is tyres.

Its the W02 chewing into its tyres on longer runs quicker than a starved horse. That has issues deeper than mere sidepod changes or front wing change. Rosbergs race simulation was appaling. Schumacher appears to have driven a different car comparitively, but the problem of drop off remained for both of them.

This is worrying because it shows us that while the car was suffering problems with Rosberg and not with Schumacher, the issue of severe degredation remained.
All teams suffered but Mercedes had a bit more than most.

Turn in was visibly poor into higher speed corners, meaning more steering angle, somthing going against the W02's SWB ethos. So to get the balance they will need to corroberate the info very well if they are putting a new front wing and exhaust.
If this changes the attitude of the car, Mercedes will be fine IMO. If it doesnt help them with the turn in issue, they will need to look at wheelbase change and possible floor lengthening(is it possible?).

But the problem you then get is a knock on effect to the Aero concept they have for the car.

It could get messy, Brawn has said they may end up with egg on their face with this one.

N smikle is also right in saying the Pull rod angle is almost too steep for the aero benefits it brings Red Bull. Although I think the team went this route for packaging, it may be slightly more swept due to the cut rumoured to be coming in the Pods.
David Purley

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

n smikle wrote:I hope maximising the pull rod is on the list of changes. Notice that it angled too far bacwards, interrupting the flow near the beam wing. They also need to raise up the beam wing; make it a floating design like redbull and willliams. Just a few things I think can make a difference.
The problems probably start well in front of that area. The front wing is likely to be an issue and this then affects everything behind it.

I've seen suggestions that the front wing is, in effect, stalling (they appear to be struggling to keep the flow attached). Indeed, there appear to be problem with both drivers getting the nose to do what they want in to corners which suggests the thing might be struggling to stay attached as it gets closer to the ground under braking (assuming the thing gets much dive in such circumstances). This is why they had some faitly crude cut outs in the front wing at the last test. They need to run a multi-element front wing. A single flap as at present can give higher downforce in theory but it is much more difficult to keep the air flow clean. Better to run a theoretically less powerful multi-flap wing which actually works. Get that right and then you can get the airflow to the rear sorted.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1gang
f1gang

new look..may be..look trple wing
Last edited by Giblet on 04 Mar 2011, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tags - it's just a show car, nothing to do with the current car.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

:lol:

No.
David Purley

Byronrhys

They ran some, don't look any good compared to todays though.