Fluid Compression

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
horse

Fluid Compression

segedunum wrote:you could see the exhaust gas and where it was going in previous testing videos. They were blowing it outwards around the front wing and tyres.
Around the front wing? That's totally new. Do you have a link to this video?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: Renault R31

thats just the usual hot air from Seg.

I've love to see the exhaust that blows over the front wing.... :o

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

segedunum wrote:They were blowing it outwards around the front wing and tyres.
:lol: Smells like BS, source please.

This configuration looks identical to what we saw earlier in testing, these are just the first decent pictures from a different angle.

segedunum
segedunum

You only need to see the car in testing - as I'd said. The exhaust plume clearly wasn't going underneath the car. :wink:

What is it with peoples' inability to read around here?

Raptor22
Raptor22

segedunum wrote:You only need to see the car in testing - as I'd said. The exhaust plume clearly wasn't going underneath the car. :wink:

So you prefer to believe that hot expanding gas will flow around corners ather than expand within the constraint set up between the floor, the road and the vortex flowing along the side generated by the great big vortex generator at the edge of the floor.... This I have to see but its your choice to believe what you want. I'm not goin to force the issue with you. btw exhaust plume???!

its not a rocket engine there is no exhaust plume. Exhaust gas from reciprocating engines revert to atmospheric pressure very rapidly and disperse within the fluid medium uniformly, hence it makes far more sense to expand it between boundaries.

I await the next chapter in your arguement
Last edited by Raptor22 on 09 Mar 2011, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

Richard
Richard

Around the front wing??? I hope that's a typo, because a jet of hot gas reaching the front wing from the side pods would be a reverse thruster.

volarchico
volarchico

Raptor22 wrote:well SLC, Raptor and a fewothers have been telling you this for weeks now.

The position of the exhaust cannot at any point be below the 50mm step plane so the floor has an edge that is angled up to meet the exhaust outlet.
Yeah, I know...hence my post stating the obvious. But I guess you didn't realize I was stating the obvious.

Raptor22
Raptor22

my post was directed at the person who posted the picture.

volarchico
volarchico

Raptor22 wrote:my post was directed at the person who posted the picture.
Oh, sorry. :oops:

Mandrake
Mandrake

richard_leeds wrote:
Around the front wing??? I hope that's a typo, because a jet of hot gas reaching the front wing from the side pods would be a reverse thruster.
It's an innovative feature blowing through the middle of the front wing, splitting the airflow left and right onto the front wing and over the front tires for improved aero! *sarcasm off*

bot6
bot6

segedunum wrote:You only need to see the car in testing - as I'd said. The exhaust plume clearly wasn't going underneath the car. :wink:

We can read all right mate.

But I'm sorry, that exhaust never blew on the front wing. It always aimed outwards and under the floor, using that lifted part of the floor to do so.

Aiming the exhaust at the front wing from behind the front wheels with the car moving forwards at 300Km/h is a physical impossibility. And attempting to do so would just act as a reverse thruster on a jet: slow you down.

Or is it a revolutionary braking system from Renault??? :mrgreen:

volarchico
volarchico

I might be wrong, and another thing I never thought I'd do, but sticking up for seg, he did put a wink. I'm pretty sure he was just messing with us.

segedunum
segedunum

I never said it did 'blow on the front wing' :?, but it was clearly blowing in the arena behind the front wing, tyre and more importantly in front of the floor when you watched the car in from a standing start in testing, which seems pretty sensible given what they look as if they're trying to achieve - accelerating air and getting more volume under the car.

From the exhaust thread we never did establish what blowing hot air under the car would do other than increasing dynamic pressure and creating lift. Clearly not desirable. I simply can't see what it would achieve.

Raptor22
Raptor22

segedunum wrote:I never said it did 'blow on the front wing' :?, but it was clearly blowing in the arena behind the front wing, tyre and more importantly in front of the floor when you watched the car in from a standing start in testing, which seems pretty sensible given what they look as if they're trying to achieve - accelerating air and getting more volume under the car.

From the exhaust thread we never did establish what blowing hot air under the car would do other than increasing dynamic pressure and creating lift. Clearly not desirable. I simply can't see what it would achieve.

:lol: oh my ****ing word.

Go back through the Aero/chassis section and read through pages 6 and 7.

"We" did not establish anything about increasing lift. I love the way you bring "We" into it when your backs against it.

there is talk of increasing mass flow which creates lower pressure and higher pressure differential which generatesmore downforce through a lower pressure under the car. this is correct since the exhaust gas are directed under the floor.

Yes Ringo then came up with a postulation that the exhausts were blowing along the side ofthe side pods andproduced lots of great images that supported that theory, but its clear that that is not correct.

frak I give up..

Bring on Thursday.

marekk
marekk

Raptor22 wrote:

So you prefer to believe that hot expanding gas will flow around corners ather than expand within the constraint set up between the floor, the road and the vortex flowing along the side generated by the great big vortex generator at the edge of the floor.... This I have to see but its your choice to believe what you want. I'm not goin to force the issue with you. btw exhaust plume???!

its not a rocket engine there is no exhaust plume. Exhaust gas from reciprocating engines revert to atmospheric pressure very rapidly and disperse within the fluid medium uniformly, hence it makes far more sense to expand it between boundaries.

I await the next chapter in your arguement
@Raptor22:

My 2 cents:

As you said, exhaust gases from reciprocating engines revert to atmospheric pressure very rapidly. In fact they'll already on ambient pressure as soon as entering the collector.
So no more expansion at exhaust outlet - just a stream of high-energy (high temp & and high speed) gases at atmospheric pressure.
As they'll cool on the way to diffuser, volume shrinks, adding even more to the speed of gases. Part of thermal energy (which is in fact kinetic energy of gas molecules) is transfered to stationery air in underfloor's boundary layer, helping to control it's thickness.
As said - no rocket science, just conservation of energy in action.