Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Renault R31

Closer angle

zgred

volarchico
volarchico

zgred wrote:img
It looks like it is directed...under the floor! :lol:

Raptor22
Raptor22

well SLC, Raptor and a fewothers have been telling you this for weeks now.

The position of the exhaust cannot at any point be below the 50mm step plane so the floor has an edge that is angled up to meet the exhaust outlet.

segedunum
segedunum

I'll still be very, very surprised I've got to be honest with you. I can't seen any benefit whatsoever to blowing hot gas under the car versus just conditioning the air in front of the floor. I'll happily admit to being wrong though since we've never seen any team do this kind of thing before.

Certainly, Renault weren't blowing their exhaust gases under the car before because you could see the exhaust gas and where it was going in previous testing videos. They were blowing it outwards around the front wing and tyres.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

segedunum wrote:You only need to see the car in testing - as I'd said. The exhaust plume clearly wasn't going underneath the car. :wink:

What is it with peoples' inability to read around here?
No one has questioned your observation about whether or not it was going under the floor. So perhaps you should learn to read?

You said "They were blowing it outwards around the front wing and tyres", so show us please.

Carlo's
Carlo's

Can someone point out changes to the rear wing? I don't see any differences.

Nice spot on bigger underneath fins and minor changes to the floor. Guess if it's the end of improvements in this test session or they have more in hand. Boullier claims that there is also upgrade for Australia but he haven't mentioned how big it will be.

Raptor22
Raptor22

the cars are always being "upgraded" for the next GP. These changes can be small details or large visibleparts like new wings. The components are always tweaked to suit certain tracks so I think Boullier claims revolve around some tweaks to suit the street circuit in Melbourne. These could be suspension tweaks, differnet rear wing for more downforce i.e a high downforce setup.

I havenot seen the rear wing in detail to comment

zgred

Carlo's
Carlo's

Blackout

You asked if the this RW is new ? yes its endplates are new, like the comparison I posted in the previous page shows. And you can see that the beam wing is also new in the last photos you posted.

volarchico
volarchico

In the picture of the front wing two posts up from "Carlo's", has the slot in the main plane always been there? That's effectively a 4 element front wing!

Raptor22
Raptor22

by far the most interesting and complex front wing of all thus far.

Blackout

volarchico wrote:In the picture of the front wing two posts up from "Carlo's", has the slot in the main plane always been there? That's effectively a 4 element front wing!
Yes since Barcelone GP 2010. But it's not larger than 17cm.

Raptor22
Raptor22

don't take it personally...
they ended up with a around 30-40 pages of discussion in the FEE thread only to discover that the answers were given in pages 5-7.
Now they have a hard time dealing with it.