Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
atanatizante

Re: Mercedes GP W02

raymondu999 wrote:They're just the cameras for the TV
You know that I mean underneath the camera (black thing :) )...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

kris
kris

raymondu999 wrote:They're just the cameras for the TV
The airbox camera seems to have a sleeve attached to it (right side). What purpose would that acheive?

Blackout

New front wing a la Renault

http://www.f1today.nl/foto.php?file=12131

edit: ah someone already posted it

JohnsonsEvilTwin

If the car is quick, whats the point in a 3 element front wing?

Yes it would have been good to see, but I dont think having somthing "good to see" is going to make you faster.
Im certain they added a 3 element front wing to full scale models in the wind tunnel, and havent changed because it isnt beneficial.

Its the shortest car on the grid, maybe this wing works well with their design concept. I mean these are the guys with the numbers in front of them at the end of the day right?

Im more interested to see wether it flexes like Red Bulls, because this is where real time can be had in spades.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Raptor22
Raptor22

Guys why the fixation on a 3 element wing?
You do realise that each car is designed to a different philosophy and that in ulktimeate performance terms both a 2 or 3 element wing can achieve similar overall results.

excellent time set by Schumacher!

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Look at the base of the pylons. Could this be designed to flex like the Red Bull wing (rake).

Raptor22
Raptor22

you uncoil like a spring....?

I highly doubt they could have carbon fibre that flexible over sucha short distance.

All the flex wings bend along their span to allow the wing end plates to close the gap to the road increasing the ground effect

zgred

bot6
bot6

Diesel wrote:Image

Look at the base of the pylons. Could this be designed to flex like the Red Bull wing (rake).
I think it can be, although they would have to make them a bit thinner.

Another interesting point is the way they "open up" at the bottom, channeling more air inwards towards the tea tray...

Adamski

Also new brake ducts, and maybe a modified rear wing? Look at the extra horizontal line.

About the tires: I read somewhere, that Pirelli is bring only the soft and hard tire compound to this test, due to the choice of the first few races.
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

Raptor22
Raptor22

Diesel wrote:This must be how Red Bull pass the deflection test, the wing flexes when pushed from the front, the test is done by pushing from above...
Ok so you;re suggesting the wing in fact pendulums about the pylins and the angle of attack increases.... possible.

that would contravene the rule that the central portion of the wing cannot produce downforce,it has to be neutral. they would not be able to get away with the arguement that it is impossible to build a flex free structure

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

What is the black cylindrical device which seems attached to the T camera??

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

horse

Comparison between yesterday and today:

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

kris
kris

Looks like a new Front wing to me. Did they put Schumacher on the old wing when they sent it out for his fastest lap? But have to agree AMS would know better
Last edited by kris on 11 Mar 2011, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.