Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Renault R31

ringo wrote:I don't think that exhaust system will work well.
If they were going to do it that way it needs a few more modifications. Otherwise it should have been placed further downstream, after the widest part of the side pod and pointing backwards.
never expected it to be on the grid.
mercedes need to give me some compensation for this idea!!! :lol:

But renault are free to change if they want anyway, ie if this system is not giving as much as the others.
For Sure!!

earlrue
earlrue

manchild
manchild

Thanks for great images!

Below and above, as suggested at first. Finally visually confirmed.

The orange heat strips reveal that part of gasses flows on top of floor to rear end, mechanic is even cooling the sidepod and floor with blower, while the burns on the tarmac show that part of gasses is blown below the floor's edge.

Can't wait to see someone trying to overtake R31 while driving "wheel to wheel" with it. :mrgreen:

Blackout

Interesting.

Can't wait to see the R31 sidepods naked :mrgreen:

mith

Sooner or later will see it.

After seeing this photos I start to wonder if FIA won't ban it after some tyres would be blown by the heat...

Giblet
Giblet

Renault were blowing their rear exhaust directly on the the tires a few years ago. I never gave them the performance they hoped, but they certainly weren't exploding form the heat.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

IMO those pit box pics clearly show the exhaust flow to be under the floor. The heat paint on the upper surface looks like it's not discolored at all, which is what you would expect if that area got hot enough to effect the temp range of the paint.

So just as many on here have claimed, the exhaust seals off the floor area, minimizing airflow under the car.

Blackout

Sidepod's interior... looks very strange to me

Neno
Neno

i think team checks sidepods and with green color indicates the direction of airflow.

Renault is probably preparing a big update for the car at the Australian GP. probably a new sidepods which will provide more airflow to the rear end of the car, and hot air from the exhaust, which will be upgraded to their new floor. we can also expect in Australia the first real new front wing for the 2011 season.

quidam
quidam

A better view inside :

picture from Valencia

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Are those exhausts not going to melt the asphalt, while for example waiting for the green light at the pit lane exit?
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

manchild
manchild

When were those pics made? That is Kubica's helmet.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

manchild wrote:When were those pics made? That is Kubica's helmet.
He said Valencia.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Blackout

Blackout wrote:Sidepod's interior... looks very strange to me

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3517/j ... 0copie.jpg
I mean the duct feeding the radiator has a triangular shape and looks very smaller than the circular intake...

that photo and other ones show sth like this:

is the grey area hiding something ?
the black area is visible in other photos and is also intriguing (at least for me)

marcush.
marcush.

the grey area seems to be just the inside of the sidepod as it is waisting downtowards the radiator matrix?