Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
WhiteBlue

Re: Williams FW33

roadie wrote:So, more KERS issues keeping the car in the garage. Certainly disappointing, as I was hoping they'd sorted KERS in the time between now and the last test. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more photos. Does anyone think in the photo above they have opened up the rear of the car for cooling?
According to Sam Michael Williams have problems with the software driving the inverter. That is bad news in my view. Williams have decided to buy all the KERS components from the source and that means the operating software for their IGPTs will be unproven. It could take them some races to fix all the problems they have. Williams shares went down below €23 today.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Seemingly Williams are contemplating not running KERS for the start of the season due to relyability concerns:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... -SearchBox

May be a good stap for them, as the Williams KERS is oviously fragile, but both the Renault and Ferarri systems arent exactly being great for relyability for Sauber and Lotus Renault GP. Even Mercedes have had problems with the "great" Mercedes system, but theirs is mostly down to cooling.

nacho
nacho

With so many problems in other teams I think it might be very beneficial to have a reliable car in the first races, there will be lots of points to collect even with a slower car.

zgred

nacho
nacho

Autosport are reporting that Barrichello had a very small drop-off in his race stints, only a second in 10-12 laps. Sounds extremely good for Williams.

axle
axle

If there is doubt in the systems operation it shouldn't be used. Instead I would focus on optimising the car to the tyres and placing ballast in a better location to further improve the car. Oz could well be won by a tortoise rather than a hare!!

However, if they are confident in running KERS in 2 weeks it should be assumed that the data they have collected has been analysed, fixes produced and they will have a hybrid tortoise :)

I predict Q3 for at least Rubens in Oz.
- Axle

WhiteBlue

Autosport live reports that Williams will run KERS at the Australian GP. It looks like they found the fault in the inverter.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

sac

Scarbs has got hold of some FW33 gearbox pics:

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/03/2 ... in-detail/

sac

Hangaku

Goddamn. How can there possibly be a gearbox in that handbag?
Yer.

Francesc
Francesc

halllo_fireball
halllo_fireball

Hangaku wrote:Goddamn. How can there possibly be a gearbox in that handbag?
Gearboxes are incredibly small indeed, as there is no torque going into them :mrgreen: You also have to consider the limited lifetime...

jenkF1

What are the disadvatages to running such a high angle of a driveshaft/halfshaft? I beleive its 14 degrees on the FW33. I am thinking efficiency of drivetrain and reliability?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

jenkF1 wrote:What are the disadvatages to running such a high angle of a driveshaft/halfshaft? I beleive its 14 degrees on the FW33. I am thinking efficiency of drivetrain and reliability?
Good question, It's been asked quite alot during winter testing, there is an interview with Sam Micheal somewhere. Basically, Williams did ALOT of dyno testing with Cosworth to make sure it was going to work, they seem quite confident.

halllo_fireball
halllo_fireball

Didn't they use the highly sophisticated dyno at the Toyota facilities?!