McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
senftl
senftl

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Exhaust now fitted and blowing all over the diffusor (at least not slots to be seen here) Image

Richard
Richard

I don't think that the exhaust pipe, I think its the coolant pipe leading to the radiators.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

richard_leeds wrote:I don't think that the exhaust pipe, I think its the coolant pipe leading to the radiators.
I think those silver pipes closest to the camera are leading to the radiators but if you look further in the background you can see the top of exhaust feeding across the floor and down behind/beside the rear tyre - is that what we're looking at?

Also there looks to be a support attached to the exhaust and the floor I guess to try to control vibrations?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Robbobnob wrote:seems to be working so well for them *sarcasm off*
Yes, it was a superb 1-2 this weekend at Oz.

Get real, they haven't even turned a wheel in practice yet.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Image filtered, more details can be seen. Please comment, I am not so much into it to venture a comment.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

dren

bonjon1979 wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:I don't think that the exhaust pipe, I think its the coolant pipe leading to the radiators.
I think those silver pipes closest to the camera are leading to the radiators but if you look further in the background you can see the top of exhaust feeding across the floor and down behind/beside the rear tyre - is that what we're looking at?

Also there looks to be a support attached to the exhaust and the floor I guess to try to control vibrations?
The silver pipe bending down is for the radiator. The other two bending back with nipples on them are the exhaust pipes.
Honda!

kalinka
kalinka

Interesting details there. Is McLaren the only team using filters on brake ducts ?
Other detail : I asked before, but nobody reacted on that : That slight downward curvature of the upper suspension arm...is it there because they want to further improve the airflow to the sidepod channels, or it's something else going on there. I didn't browse all other car's pictures, but seems to me that on other cars it's just a straight arm.

EDIT : Maybe those filters are there because of the espected high degradation of tyres...against marbles falling in to the duct ?

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

dren wrote: The silver pipe bending down is for the radiator. The other two bending back with nipples on them are the exhaust pipes.
The nipples being the O2 sensors mounting points IMO.
It seems to me that the exhaust pipe inner profile goes from oval to wider but flattened shape at the edge of the floor in front of the rear wheel. But not quite sure.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

dren

Dragonfly wrote:
dren wrote: The silver pipe bending down is for the radiator. The other two bending back with nipples on them are the exhaust pipes.
The nipples being the O2 sensors mounting points IMO.
It seems to me that the exhaust pipe inner profile goes from oval to wider but flattened shape at the edge of the floor in front of the rear wheel. But not quite sure.
I agree, it looks like it flattens out towards the back like the Red Bull and Ferrari solution.
Honda!

Coefficient
Coefficient

bonjon1979 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:With none of the pipework there it's hard to tell, but there's a bump at the back of the side pod that wasn't there before, and a turning vein similar to red bull's behind it – could this be the new exhaust?

If you look between the mechanics legs you can see what looks like the end of the exhaust pointing down under the floor.

Don't think so, that's just the trailing edge of the "Batwing".
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Coefficient
Coefficient

ringo wrote:
beelsebob wrote:With none of the pipework there it's hard to tell, but there's a bump at the back of the side pod that wasn't there before, and a turning vein similar to red bull's behind it – could this be the new exhaust?

seems that bump was always there.

The "Bump" accomodated the U-Bend in testing.That they seem to have retained it could indicate that we could see the U-Bend return at some point if not this weekend.

Coefficient
Coefficient

dren wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:

The silver pipe bending down is for the radiator. The other two bending back with nipples on them are the exhaust pipes.

Hmm, not convinced. It seems very near the radiators.
Last edited by Coefficient on 24 Mar 2011, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

shelly
shelly

Dragonfly wrote:Image filtered, more details can be seen. Please comment, I am not so much into it to venture a comment.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I notice a lighter grey zone on the flor in this picture. What do you members think it comes form?
twitter: @armchair_aero

forty-two

senftl wrote:Exhaust now fitted and blowing all over the diffusor (at least not slots to be seen here) Image
Is that temperature sensitive paint striped on the top of the diffusor as MGP were using during the last test?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?