McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FW17

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Looks like Mclaren are using a Ferrari type exhaust

halllo_fireball
halllo_fireball

kalinka wrote:EDIT : Maybe those filters are there because of the espected high degradation of tyres...against marbles falling in to the duct ?
That is almost certainly the reason, as mentioned by Jonathan Neale on the Flying Lap Ep 7.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Yeah they introduced those filters at the last test, Ferrari have them now as well.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 24 Mar 2011, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

halllo_fireball
halllo_fireball

looks like a Mclaren Wheel - quite interesting how they fixed this circular "blade" by creating those noses during the forging process. I think they are a little big, although it would be very difficult to make them smaller, so probably they should have gone for a different solution?! I know its just a small detail, nevertheless it caught my eye...

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

I thought the wheels were holmogated and could not be changed?

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

During the season. Every team can make own wheels which, after being approved for legality, are homologated before the start of the season.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

ianwit
ianwit

Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

OO7
OO7

Does anyone know what article in the tech regs would have allowed McLaren to run with the slit exhausts in the floor?
Last edited by OO7 on 24 Mar 2011, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

Dragonfly wrote:
dren wrote: The silver pipe bending down is for the radiator. The other two bending back with nipples on them are the exhaust pipes.
The nipples being the O2 sensors mounting points IMO.
It seems to me that the exhaust pipe inner profile goes from oval to wider but flattened shape at the edge of the floor in front of the rear wheel. But not quite sure.
I think that's backwards. The two pipes with colored bands and nipples are the radiator inlet and outlet, though it seems unusual to have them on the same corner.

Richard
Richard

Yup - blue for cold, red for hot, nipples for bleeding air/coolant.

halllo_fireball
halllo_fireball

It does make sense, if they have a double radiator - so just two radiators stacked up. Thereby they can realise a countercurrent flow. The hot water gets in at the back radiator, where its cooled by the already warmed air. The water then goes through the front radiator, were its cooled by the fresh air.
Actually quite clever, as this makes the radiator quite effective and allows a reduced radiator surface and therefore tighter package. Looks like they have worked themselves around a 3D Radiator once again :wink:

ringo

WilliamsF1 wrote:Looks like Mclaren are using a Ferrari type exhaust
judging by the vertical panel attached to the ground, the side pods will be tucked in.
For Sure!!

marcush.
marcush.

redbull had that radiator double pass layout already last year .They seemed to divide the core even more splitting up the core in 5(?) sections .speeding up the flow in the core is giving you a lot more heat transfer.

halllo_fireball
halllo_fireball

marcush. wrote:redbull had that radiator double pass layout already last year .They seemed to divide the core even more splitting up the core in 5(?) sections .speeding up the flow in the core is giving you a lot more heat transfer.
Didn't know that, as I just started to look closer into the cars this year ;)

Anyway, why do you think they split it up to 5 sections. Yes, it would increase the flowspeed, but it would also result in a lot more counter pressure which would require a more powerful waterpump...

ringo

It's not really flow speed, though that is correct. An infinitely long radiator is the ideal. So teams try to attain that theoretical point without much pressure drop. More paths increases the effective length of the heat exchange surface.
For Sure!!