Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CyleB

Re: Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

gives you a completely different idea of how much surface area the wing has
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

N12ck

i thought the wing was half that size when i imagine it, but seeing a photo and comparison, its huge!!! not the length, but the thickness of it, thats a whole arm length which is about 70cm, THATS HUGE!!!
Budding F1 Engineer

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Left sidepod flew out in Q1 cauing a red flag
TV snapshot of raditor

marcush.
marcush.

quite interesting aproach for the radiator plumbing ...they split the inlets and exhausts and create effectively two single pass rads in paralell in one housing.
this slows down the fluid ....a stark contrast to REDBulls multiple pass concept.

volarchico
volarchico

Those are the first HD screenshots I've seen that actually aren't blocked by my internet. Really nice! Was pretty spectacular to see the cover burst off.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I noticed they didn't have any cooling outlets at the rear of the car, pressure build up?

volarchico
volarchico

There has to be some outlet for all the air that goes through the sidepods!

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

I understand weight saving by the use of CF...When I actually saw the part of engine cover, it was 3-4mm Nomex honeycombplus 2 layers of CF sandwiching the honeycomb, a silver foil on the inside and a paint on the outside and yes, it was light,considering the weight of the paint.

Although these panels are not there majorly for structural stiffness, does anyone know the reason of the part coming off, was it a loosely bolted component? or the airflow creating a massive suction and taring off the bodywork??

timbo
timbo

Well it just happens sometimes. :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x14pI69z4Gw[/youtube]

wesley123
wesley123

Well, we have seen the same on the Sauber, i really think it has to do with having too light parts and then the suction making it easy to get torna aprt.

It doesnt come that much as an surprise for STR, with the raised CoG by the radiators they have to make anything as light as they can to overcome this disadvantage.

I personally do not think the 'double floor' is the way to go, it just raises parts within the sidepod bij around 60-70cm. Then we still have to talk about the added structure to incorporate this, i think we can talk about a raised CoG by around 30mm. add to this an not so significant aerodynamic advantage and you get a much more complex car which doesnt got any better aerodynamics then others.

Sure, it is a big step for STR, but i think they could have better gone the regular way.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LotusF1
LotusF1

wesley123 wrote:Well, we have seen the same on the Sauber, i really think it has to do with having too light parts and then the suction making it easy to get torna aprt.

It doesnt come that much as an surprise for STR, with the raised CoG by the radiators they have to make anything as light as they can to overcome this disadvantage.

I personally do not think the 'double floor' is the way to go, it just raises parts within the sidepod bij around 60-70cm. Then we still have to talk about the added structure to incorporate this, i think we can talk about a raised CoG by around 30mm. add to this an not so significant aerodynamic advantage and you get a much more complex car which doesnt got any better aerodynamics then others.

Sure, it is a big step for STR, but i think they could have better gone the regular way.
lets see what they do with their exhaust layout, im sure it will change. imo the raised sidepods are very interesting. where they place their exhaust might enhance their concept imo. im sure they might be evaluating a renault concept as it seems they might have a massive benefit from it compared to other teams. my 2 cents...

LotusF1
LotusF1

n_anirudh wrote:Left sidepod flew out in Q1 cauing a red flag
TV snapshot of raditor
look how free the back of the radiator is...that will improve cooling a lot. one of the benefits that no1 talks about when lowering your exhaust...your cooling will improve a lot as there is nothing blocking your rad outlet.

marcush.
marcush.

that radiator is weighing how much? 10kg /12kg with water ? and the same weight for the other side thats´24 kilos .the top of the radiator is not placed any higher so placing the bottom higher up by say 100mm raises the CoG of these components 50mm higher ....if it where at 330mm before it is now at 380.... the mass of the car is 640kg dry and the CoG is surely below hubheight.So we are talking about 3-4% of the total mass placed 50 mm higher in the car .Performance differentiator ? I doubt this.Does it help aero more than it hurts CofG height is your question but I think the bigger issue is the bigger mass of the components
and the bigger surface area you are creating.

marcush.
marcush.

Toro Rosso is one of the teams not really showing as well as expected after the winter tests.
They seemed to be so well prepared and organised and quick and now it´s business as usual..no the STR6 is NOT the third best car on the grid.

StrFerrari4Ever

marcush. wrote:Toro Rosso is one of the teams not really showing as well as expected after the winter tests.
They seemed to be so well prepared and organised and quick and now it´s business as usual..no the STR6 is NOT the third best car on the grid.
Yeah I think when they bring upgrades to the car they might start showing a bit more. I have a feeling the car will go very well at Monaco..