McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
senftl
senftl

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

At least the FW was close to the ground under braking:

kalinka
kalinka

sriraj1031 wrote:
kalinka wrote:That Force India solution looks ugly. Even McLaren's first attempt at Asutralia was better.
Can you please elaborate whats so ugly about it and please post comparison pics between the two to call it ugly
Maybe it's a bit harsh word to call it ugly. Comparison pics were exactly above my post, so I don't want to re-post them. When I called it ugly I meant for those exposed-to-air mounting points alongside the long exhaust pipe. There are two visible screws that secures the exhaust to the floor. Also it seems like the pipe is running a bit over the floor, and not integrated into it, while at McL the mounting points are hidden/at least not in the way of the air. Unless it's their (Force India) intention to do that way, I would call it at least an ineffective solution, but for me it's a bit ugly too. Sorry, no offense.

sink
sink

senftl wrote:At least the FW was close to the ground under braking:
[url =http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/60 ... 20m29.png/][img ]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4444 ... h20m29.png[/img][/url]
Im guessing low tire pressure.

HampusA

Fantastic image really. Shows part of the airflow very nicely.
And yes, i remember someone saying that they fiddled with his tire pressures to maybe try and heat them up quicker.
The truth will come out...

Richard
Richard

They would have put more air into them to compensate for the fact that they were cold and never going to get to full temp.

HampusA

But wouldn´t he have even less grip if they would have increased the pressure?

sink
sink

My guess, more air but due to the lower temps, no higher pressures. I can't imagine them doing this though, that would mean they were doing another run with sub-optimal tire temps -> low grip. I'm guessing they were hoping for the tire temps to get in the right range through the outlap.

PlatinumZealot

Additionally, the track was cold and the brakes were cold. This was for all cars, notice the times were all 1 second slower after the restart.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

"But wouldn´t he have even less grip if they would have increased the pressure?"

For the correct tire spring rate and optimum contact patch shape you need a specific pressure. From experience the teams know when to hit this ideal pressure. I could imagine it to be somewhere during the qualifying lap, start low and end high. Since the rims and tires are pre heated we might not be talking about that much pressure gain.

Brian

HampusA

I see, thanks.

Formula None
Formula None

adrianjordan

How long has Verizon (45% owned by Vodafone) been on the rear wing?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ref: Formula None's picture.

Are there slots in the upper surface of the leading edge of the sidepod cut out? They don't appear to be shadows/reflections.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

boyracer94
boyracer94

Yes, I believe they were added early in the season/late testing.
I think Verizon has only been on the RW for Monaco so far
Last edited by boyracer94 on 01 Jun 2011, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

JackHammer

adrianjordan wrote:How long has Verizon (45% owned by Vodafone) been on the rear wing?
I was wondering that too, had a look at some old pics, new for Monaco

Catalunya pic of RW