Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

The gases do curl under and very much. I think this is something you guys have to see, whether it is a CFD or real life example. But the exhaust gas will curl under in that type of setup.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

gridwalker
gridwalker

An expanding flow has to go somewhere, and with a low pressure area immediately adjacent then some is going to leak in. That leakage will create a current that draws more in : this will inevitably create a vortex.

I may not know the language, nor the mathematics, but I understand enough about fluid dynamics to see how this happens.

Just because the flow in a region has one primary effect (e.g. separating the diffuser flow from the tyre wake), it doesn't mean that it won't have a secondary benefit. Aero within a regulated system is not an issue of singular effects : we aren't dealing with black and white here.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

And what is the source of the heat causing the heat soak? The exhaust flow inside the diffuser?

There is no insulation on the surface facing the tire. Now this could be a misdirection, but it would seem like a majority of the exhaust heat does make it into the diffuser.

Could the vortex off the front of the tire contact patch be made to follow or be drawn in by the exhaust flow?

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

"That leakage will create a current that draws more in : this will inevitably create a vortex."

The exhaust flow doesn't have much distance to accomplish this task, say 20-18". Could it be forced in by the tire wake?

Which way does the vortex have to spin to be useful? Is it any benefit after it clears the diffuser exit?

Brian

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

I still believe that the exhaust flow is effectively creating a larger diffuser wall on both sides. This combined with the high rake in effect is creating a much larger diffuser. In all my experience racing i cant see any other reason to run such a high amount of rake... you want the car as low to the track as possible and if the car is built properly there should be little to no rake. Red bull have effectively simulated a larger diffuser with exhaust gasses... Its a genius idea

ParanoiD

zgred wrote:Image
this guy look like rapper
Ay Carumba!

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

without getting too technical, as the exhaust flow passes over the edge of the diffusor (the area where the cutout is and the exhaust is positioned) the pressure differential, caused by the low pressure of the fast moving expanding air inside the diffusor will then effectively suck the high pressure air at the edge of the diffusor inwards.

With the Exhaust flow passing over this area (Forgive me as i am not 100% and will do some CFD analysis after exams to try and get a definitive answer) Should disrupt the wake casued by the tire, effectively creating a sealed diffusor with the ground, causing the air inside the diffusor to expand without sucking in the turbulent air from the tires wake keeping flow attached, increasing efficiency and creating a higher pressure differential.

Bare in mind this is just a educated guess at the best
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

marcush.
marcush.

the wear pattern of the plank is visible a bit here

there is the leading edge outside corners scraping -the bip stay in the middle .so the outer sides getting pulled down at speed..
but were else is it actually touching the ground? It looks like almost in the rear half of the car...quite contradicting the perception the car has a lot of rake in it.

kyniu
kyniu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tRbpvVQAl4

What is the round thing he puts on the cockpit (2.25 minute)?

aral
aral

marcush. wrote:the wear pattern of the plank is visible a bit here

there is the leading edge outside corners scraping -the bip stay in the middle .so the outer sides getting pulled down at speed..
but were else is it actually touching the ground? It looks like almost in the rear half of the car...quite contradicting the perception the car has a lot of rake in it.
Absolutely nothing unusual here. The pattern of wear at extremities, is normal, due to height of kerbs etc.

marcush.
marcush.

how can you hit a kerb midship only?

with the rake they got you would expect to only have contact at the leading edge.

with a bendy teatray you would expect the second point of ground contact in the area around the hinge point .

aral
aral

marcush. wrote:how can you hit a kerb midship only?

with the rake they got you would expect to only have contact at the leading edge.

with a bendy teatray you would expect the second point of ground contact in the area around the hinge point .
Ever heard of BOUNCE?

marcush.
marcush.

trying not to be offensive here but in my experience skidmarks are rarely just starting somewhere in the middle of a flat face..but there you go.No need to elaborate further.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Just thought I'd post this since you can see how the duct goes to the starter hole.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Red Bull are running with a KERS system that is a third less powerful than Mercedes powered teams. Only 40Kj as opposed to 60Kj.

They save weight wich is gained in aero performance.

Newey has said they need to get their KERS relyable and not chase performance at present.

Source: Ted Kravits on @5LiveF1