McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

I would have thought that with the better flow from the U shape side-pods that you would get more from efficiency from the rear wing and thus be able to run a smaller rear wing.

It just does not add up for me.

Brian

ringo

beelsebob wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:For this discussion say the downforce levels are:

30% front wing
25% diffuser
30% rear wing
15% rest of the car/body

Now in Canada IF the McLaren rear wing was twice as bid as RB's, then that means they have to reduce the drag of some large amount on some other part of the car. Probably not the front wing because that would cause a big imbalance. I'm not sure there is much drag you can remove from the diffuser, so that leaves the rest of the body. You honestly thing the McLaren body has that much less drag to compensate for a rear wing that is twice as big?
Yes.
I did a study on this early in the thread. The drag is much much lower.

And the air quality to the beam wing is considerable higher.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

hardingfv32 wrote:I would have thought that with the better flow from the U shape side-pods that you would get more from efficiency from the rear wing and thus be able to run a smaller rear wing.

It just does not add up for me.

Brian
Because you are adding when you should be subtracting!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Pierce89

beelsebob wrote:Sorry, I thought that would have more impact like that. To elaborate slightly...

In the dumb model... the amount of frontal area removed by the U-pods is significant – arguably as much as half the rear wing. In the more complex model, where they can direct air to wherever they chose (like straight into those U-pods), they likely save even more drag than that.
If this is true, how does Merc constantly nuke them for top speed with the same engine.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Tozza Mazza

Brian, more DF from the wings does not necessarily mean the car will have a higher drag than the RB7 and will give it more speed through corners. Turn off your tunnel vision, which is telling that copying RB must be the right thing to do. It isn't in this case.

Richied76
Richied76

Pierce89 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Sorry, I thought that would have more impact like that. To elaborate slightly...

In the dumb model... the amount of frontal area removed by the U-pods is significant – arguably as much as half the rear wing. In the more complex model, where they can direct air to wherever they chose (like straight into those U-pods), they likely save even more drag than that.
If this is true, how does Merc constantly nuke them for top speed with the same engine.

DRS could be one reason. It has been noted that they have such an effective system, sometimes its hard to get the air to reattach to the wing. and as for driver babble, i'm not so sure jenson was 6kph slower in qually than all of the practice setions. IMO they just over dragged the car

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Pierce89 wrote:

I once asked a Minardi engineer why their car so often topped the speed trap but they weren't so good over a whole lap. The answer - "because we're missing a ton of downforce!"

It's easy to be quick in a straight line; being quick in a straight line and in the corners is the tricky bit...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Also I think the Merc DRS system is the best in the pitlane. Allows them good grid position during quali but hampers them when they cant use it during the race.
More could have been done.
David Purley

PlatinumZealot

It's too good for the rest of the car then :lol:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Rino

Whole GP has passed and there are no pictures? :?

beelsebob
beelsebob

The lack of pictures is caused by the lack of upgrades. Last I heard, McLaren were planning a big upgrade package for Valencia, but had nothing in Canada.

Shrieker

Big upgrade package for Valencia... Sounds to me like the wrong time. The race after that is Silverstone, the race which the exhaust blown effect will be banned (restricted?) by the FIA.
Last edited by Shrieker on 15 Jun 2011, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

beelsebob
beelsebob

Shrieker wrote:Big upgrade package for Valencia... Sounds to me like the wrong time. The race after that is Silverstone, the race which the exhasut blown effect will be banned (restricted?) by the FIA.
Knowing McLaren it'll be delayed – I did hear this information pre-canada, so their plans may well have changed.

Full_Opposite_Lock
Full_Opposite_Lock

Shrieker wrote:Big upgrade package for Valencia... Sounds to me like the wrong time. The race after that is Silverstone, the race which the exhaust blown effect will be banned (restricted?) by the FIA.
Nobody said it would be a diffuser upgrade.

Pierce89

Just_a_fan wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:

I once asked a Minardi engineer why their car so often topped the speed trap but they weren't so good over a whole lap. The answer - "because we're missing a ton of downforce!"

It's easy to be quick in a straight line; being quick in a straight line and in the corners is the tricky bit...
I wasn't talking about lap time. I specifically mentioned top speed. The previous quote was about how little drag the Maclaren has. So I just asked why, if the Macca has so little drag, the Merc is quicker on top end. Speaking about drag only.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher