Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Steven
Owner

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Locked for further inspection.
Mind you that this is about the car, not its racing actions, nor the amount of points it got and certainly not about the MGP drivers.

Some posts might get deleted...

Giblet
Giblet

If anyone has anything they feel is actually worthy of the car, PM it to a mod or use the report function to queue it as Caito did.
Caito wrote:
I want to have this posted, if possible: New to me, I've never noticed the FIA tag on the cover. Is with stickers how they enforce parc ferme?

Yes the FIA uses stickers similar to 'void if removed' stickers in electronics.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

I have unlocked the W02 Thread.

Please keep talk in here about the car, not Haug's physique, not Rosberg vs Schumi, etc.

The car please. The number of reports these car threads generate means that they will be quickly locked.

Please discuss the team under the Mercedes GP 2011 thread.

Enjoy.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Ok, it looks like a new EBD blowing the outer section of the diffuser like many teams, they got rid of the gills and made a large rear exit for this new layout as well. Looks a bit messy for now but it will be interesting to see how it performs. Perhaps they rushed this design because they stand to lose alot when the off throttle ban comes in.

Credit: http://twitter.com/#!/Khan_F1
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 23 Jun 2011, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

wesley123
wesley123

New exhaust and also new cooling, ruins the whole tight sidepod
Last edited by Giblet on 23 Jun 2011, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image tag
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dren

FREEDOM!!! :)

I wonder how much this will improve the car relative to the competition? I'm looking for new picturs but can't find any yet.
Honda!

dren

Honda!

Byronrhys

Doubt they'll run it this weekend, looks like a mock up as the exhaust position hasn't moved hence the bulge at the side. Maybe they'll do off-throttle back to backs on each exhaust.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Posting an enlarged image courtesy of Adamski.

You see they have lost the gills and are now blowing the diffuser more than the top of the floor as before.
According to Red Bull they feel Mercedes will suffer the most with off throttle ban.

I wouldnt say it looks untidy, I think Mercedes have found a cooling solution that suits them. The rear shape has changed somewhat, and I think the innards have been rejigged to get this solution.

Lets see what happens
More could have been done.
David Purley

Byronrhys

The heat coating also contributes to the unfinished look, Any full pics of the car out yet?

King Six
King Six

wesley123 wrote:Image

New exhaust and also new cooling, ruins the whole tight sidepod
Am I the only one that finds these obnoxious "Sutton" images akin to spamming?....
Last edited by Giblet on 23 Jun 2011, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Sutton owns the images, they took them. Please stay on the subject of the car.

Ferraripilot

Finally a more efficient exhaust layout. As for the sidepods not being as 'tight' as someone mentioned, I actually would be the flow around these sidepods are considerably better than the prior units because the gills are removed. Still, I see what you mean I just see the removing of the gills as a huge huge plus.

dren

Ferraripilot wrote:Finally a more efficient exhaust layout. As for the sidepods not being as 'tight' as someone mentioned, I actually would be the flow around these sidepods are considerably better than the prior units because the gills are removed. Still, I see what you mean I just see the removing of the gills as a huge huge plus.
I'm with JET on this one, I think the old layout was better for the car, but the change was made due to the EBD off throttle blowing ban. But maybe not?
Honda!

vealio
vealio

Now it happened what Ross said after the Barcelona test. If they see gains with the Red Bull solution in the windtunnel, they´ll adopt it.

Ferraripilot

vealio wrote:Now it happened what Ross said after the Barcelona test. If they see gains with the Red Bull solution in the windtunnel, they´ll adopt it.

I do recall him saying that. By the look of it, they had DHL pick up the car directly from the wind tunnel and move it down to Spain. I have to say, this change caught me off-guard