Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Formula None
Formula None

Re: Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

No, those are wain-shafts, which prevent side fumbling.

zgred

zgred

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

You can see how the exhaust splits in 2 again.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bill shoe
bill shoe

I think the STR sidepods look great, and the team thinks they have some clear advantages. However, this layout seems especially awkward for blown diffuser exhaust where you have run the exhaust to the lower-outboard portion of the floor.

Next year, exhaust will be required to have periscope exits out the top. This seems to eliminate the exhaust packaging awkwardness of double floor sidepods. I happily predict more double-floor designs next year.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Formula None wrote:No, those are wain-shafts, which prevent side fumbling.
I don't see the hydrocoptic marzul vanes, are you sure? To me, it looks more like a drawn reciprocation dingle arm.

MIKEY_!

TheWiseOwl wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Is it possible that when the DRS is activated this mechanism not just raises the leading edge but also lowers the trailing edge??
The trailing edge has to be the pivot point, hence it doesn't move in relation to the rest of the wing when DRS is activated.
You are wrong, refer to tech article 3.18.1 (its dot point 5). The physical point of rotation of the upper element can be no more than 20mm below or 20mm forward of its rearmost extremity.

beelsebob
beelsebob

MIKEY_! wrote:You are wrong, refer to tech article 3.18.1 (its dot point 5). The physical point of rotation of the upper element can be no more than 20mm below or 20mm forward of its rearmost extremity.
Yes, which basically says, "You have enough room to get the pivot point though the centre of the wing rather than stuck right on it's edge". All teams will have this pushed to the limit already.

MIKEY_!

Yes my point = it doesn't have to be the trailing edge therefore Holm is correct. And of course they have pushed this as far as it will go.

beelsebob
beelsebob

MIKEY_! wrote:Yes my point = it doesn't have to be the trailing edge therefore Holm is correct. And of course they have pushed this as far as it will go.
Well no, because dead smack back on the trailing edge would be a physical impossibility – you would need an infinitely thin pivot. "Within the last 20mm of the wing in both dimensions" is effectively "on the trailing edge" but taking into account that you can't make infinitely thin, but strong bits of car.

MIKEY_!

This is exactly what i am saying...?

dren

beelsebob wrote:
Formula None wrote:No, those are wain-shafts, which prevent side fumbling.
I don't see the hydrocoptic marzul vanes, are you sure? To me, it looks more like a drawn reciprocation dingle arm.
Is it an ambaphascient lunar wain-shaft?
Honda!

Carlo's
Carlo's

new nosecone?

EDIT:
Yeah, it is:

MIKEY_!

Think so, I seem to remember the old one being more bulky than this.

matt21

For comparison