Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
madly
madly

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Byronrhys wrote:Image

The vanes on the endplate finally arrive, the inner most blades of the diffuser and how the are formed are pretty interesting.
Rosberg lost one of the vertical diffuser vanes on one of the straights...

Ferraripilot

Byronrhys wrote: Has the rake increased to anyone else?

I have been searching and searching for a good profile pic but have been unable to locate anything. Considering the wing flex I am seeing in some pics I would think they cranked up the rake a bit but it could also just be the design of this wing.....

munudeges
munudeges

n smikle wrote:The air velocity at that part of the car is almost zero.. so the covering is sort of inconsequential in the larger view of things.
Well, the attention-to-detail from other teams in this area might well tell you otherwise. Why would you even bother shaping anything like this?

Med4224

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

Morteza

What is that behind the airbox?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

vealio
vealio

The rear/cooling finally looks decent

dren

munudeges wrote:
n smikle wrote:The air velocity at that part of the car is almost zero.. so the covering is sort of inconsequential in the larger view of things.
Well, the attention-to-detail from other teams in this area might well tell you otherwise. Why would you even bother shaping anything like this?
Most likely the benefit of the EBD is huge compared to the reduction of air flow around the pipe. They will likely clean it up in the future if first they can without it melting, and second if it helps.
Honda!

dren

That front wing flexes like crazy!
Honda!

marcush.
marcush.

with reference to nsmikle:
inevitably Formula 1 is also about catching up on useful details which can be integrateted in your own design ...and if you find useful things it is important to adopt those details.

To me the slow speed of implementing things like those rearwing Endplate flow conditioners is just not acceptable.Toyota came up with them in 2009 and it is simply unexcuseable to take 2 years to evaluate them and finally ADD them to the car ....I ask myself if they will need another 2 years to add the slot gap gurney to their diffusser....I imagine you would not need that many windtunnel hours to get an idea about the value of those...

madly
madly

Is it W02s exhaust pipe?

aral
aral

madly wrote:Is it W02s exhaust pipe?

Nope! look at photo about 20 posts back. Different shape, different mountings.

Predator

Rake seems to be the same as run in Silverstone. Race pace-wise, they're still fourth best. In the second sector they were losing up to a second, although I'm not sure if that is realistic as it could've been down to traffic etc.

PlatinumZealot

Looks like the macca pipe
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Ferraripilot

Predator wrote:Image

Rake seems to be the same as run in Silverstone. Race pace-wise, they're still fourth best. In the second sector they were losing up to a second, although I'm not sure if that is realistic as it could've been down to traffic etc.
Agreed. Heavy fuel loads in this car really throw it off. Solid 4th, maybe 3rd if Macca are having as a rough a time as they claim

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Agreed FP

They aren't going to hassle the front. But I want to see ordered progress, and this far I'm optimistic.
The car has yet to show in race trim, so we can all speculate.

But what is impressive is the list of change that has been wrought on this car.
Everything bar the wheelbase is changed.

Even as a fan, at least I can see there is real effort going into this car. Blimey, that front wing even has Red Bull looking!
More could have been done.
David Purley