Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes GP W02

this pretty much confirms everyone's suspicions.

zgred

aral
aral

zgred wrote:Images in above post
Why are these posted? They are at least a year old. Look at manifolds.
Last edited by Steven on 04 Aug 2011, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed lengthy quotes post just above

zgred

Because I don't want to create thread to post few pictures of the engine - if you know better location for them please report post to the mods.

marcush.
marcush.

after Qualy ,RTL hosts Lauda and König stood near Rosbergs car parked in parcferme and actually mentioned the ugly untidy make do bodywork in the exhaust area ..camera took a close up of it and it really looked like your saturday evening home garage work... :mrgreen:

there was a little carbonfibre shroud mounted to the floor covering the exhaust in sideview only .the whitish colour fences on top of the floor look really like work in progress ...and Lauda commented :that´s putting Mercedes name to shame...

Mclaren on the other hand seem always be able to show outstanding workmanship....what a contrast.

edited -sorry for lousy writing-
Last edited by marcush. on 31 Jul 2011, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive
xpensive

Those gentlemen ar not the only ones to notice the poor workmanship on the W02, we have also discessed it before, no?

God is in the details.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Leon
Leon

"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

mep

Do you think it is a reflection of the "can do attitude"?
For me this translates into "we put some sh!t together and it will do it because we are the kings".

ajprice
ajprice

The Mercedes star on the nose is airbrushed, not 3 dimensional. Just been shown in the Mercedes paintshop on BBC :) .

xpensive
xpensive

xpensive wrote:Those gentlemen ar not the only ones to notice the poor workmanship on the W02, we have also discessed it before, no?

God is in the details.
But the egine is truly beautiful!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

1) How do you think the joints are fabricated on the exhaust primaries at the steps. There does not seem to be any sign of welds. Some type of furnace brazing?

2) There are pads attached with small screws at the base of the low engine mount studs. Are these used to set exact mounting dimensions?

Brian

marcush.
marcush.

hardingfv32 wrote:1) How do you think the joints are fabricated on the exhaust primaries at the steps. There does not seem to be any sign of welds. Some type of furnace brazing?

2) There are pads attached with small screws at the base of the low engine mount studs. Are these used to set exact mounting dimensions?

Brian
looking closely to the area there are two areas up and downstream of the step area that show a different texture .I would suspect that there is where you find the weld area and the step itself is a preformed part .That´s how I did my exhaust steps.

2nd -I would think you can machine parts to exacvting tolerances ..but as we have elaborated last year ..Mating big Aluminium and Carboonfibre structures may or may not open a can of worms in terms of temperature grow deltas..maybe that´s a reason .

munudeges
munudeges

marcush. wrote:Mclaren on the other hand seem always be able to show outstanding workmanship....what a contrast.
Even McLaren's hasty diffuser rehash at the beginning of the season looked like something from a different planet compared to this.
The Briton also suggested the W03 would feature a longer wheelbase as the team has experienced difficulties with the current car to find a set-up that works as well on light fuel in qualifying and full tanks in the race.

“Probably yes,” he said when asked if the wheelbase would be lengthened on next year’s car.

“One of the main things [problems] is obviously when it’s full of fuel because the fuel tank’s shorter then it’s higher, so that doesn’t help."
#-o I think Ross Brawn's reputation as some kind of technical genius now lies in tatters. The guy was a deputy Team Principal under Todt at Ferrari and nothing more.

Byronrhys

ajprice wrote:The Mercedes star on the nose is airbrushed, not 3 dimensional. Just been shown in the Mercedes paintshop on BBC :) .
If you were as keen as you thought you'd realize that was the BGP001 nose and we already went through they airbrush that and stick on the real one.

Please Mercedes... Don't bring this car to Spa without making some substantial changes.

marcush.
marcush.

crickey -these Brawn statements are hopefully just political.
IF their problem was the high fuel tank and the Cof G height with high fuel loads this is potentially a reason for their tyre consumption with high fuel loads but it is NOT a reason why they cannot challenge for pole as on low fuel loads =qualy and last stint the difference in CofG height is simply not there.
hopefully they adopt the RB positioning of KERS components after the summerbrake and erase that cofG disadvantage they are speaking of all the time ...they could even use this battery repositioning to elongate the wheelbase....two flies with one stone... :mrgreen: a neat carbonspacer cum batterycase wi´th a hole for the driveshaft in the middle also containing the MGU.Not a 4 weeks design and engineering task but they know for a long time now where they failed.

Again Mercedes is looking at the wrong areas and seems unable to question every decision and solution they have on their cars.

What does a amateurish workmanship and design in areas of development show? Maybe the guys working on it not identifying themselves with what they do? As a works team they should be able to beat at least Mclarens B-Team Force India ...