Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Mercedes GP W02

The brawn was good over the kerbs so I don't think that should be too much of a problem.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

bar555 wrote:Mercedes GP W02 – Further diffuser changes at Spain
http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com ... -at-spain/
Very interesting, thanks!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Javert

dren wrote:
That is sort of what I am thinking. Something along the lines of the last two year's Ferraris. "Simple" good performing cars that seem to respond well to upgrades.
It's not with boring cars you can win championships
Ferrari seem stuck to third place this year

yener

I expect p5 and 6 is the maximum in Monza they get. As long as the other cars won't suffer from retiring the race that's really the maximum.

The wo2 loses times in the braking zones. And the first and last corner's you need to brake hard.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

dren

Javert wrote:
dren wrote:
That is sort of what I am thinking. Something along the lines of the last two year's Ferraris. "Simple" good performing cars that seem to respond well to upgrades.
It's not with boring cars you can win championships
Ferrari seem stuck to third place this year
Alonso damn near won the championship last year in a "boring" car. The Ferraris are much better than the oddball Mercedes of the last two years.
Honda!

dren

yener wrote:I expect p5 and 6 is the maximum in Monza they get. As long as the other cars won't suffer from retiring the race that's really the maximum.

The wo2 loses times in the braking zones. And the first and last corner's you need to brake hard.
Hard to say. I think the Red Bulls will be much stronger than we think. They looked good in Spa. It will be another shoot-out between the Mclarens, Ferraris and Red Bulls. Mercedes will be a bit closer than in other races with maybe a possible 6th place over Massa.
Honda!

Richard
Richard

bar555 wrote:Mercedes GP W02 – Further diffuser changes at Spain
http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com ... -at-spain/

Thanks bar555 =D>

I miss your posts on the car threads but understand why you took them to a separate blog.

madly
madly

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Man.. they are butchering this car:

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It's a nice view of the plume and the aerofoil to gather some air. (Right click view image to view fullsize)
Last edited by Steven on 11 Sep 2011, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted pic (see above)
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

xpensive
xpensive

[...] compare it to the recent image on the Ferrari thread, day and night workmanship-wise.
Really, images like that speaks volumes of the attention to detail and thus the overall technical committment behind it.
Last edited by Steven on 11 Sep 2011, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove wisenose comments
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

wesley123
wesley123

Indeed, as the big Mercedes boss I should be really ashamed already at their performance, but after seeing this I'd expect him to sink in his seat out of shame.

But seriously, how can Mercedes even expect to be taking the WCC or WDC with such quality? even the tried Virgin arrangement was less crude.

I must say, after seeing pictures of the car my guess is that a big deal of the lack of performance comes from building quality like this. Compare it to the Red Bull or McLaren, the body panels fit perfectly, on the merc it just seems to be slammed on in a really crude way.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Richard
Richard

There are a lot of joints in what should be a straight tube, there must a be a reason for that.

I suspect there is something inside the tube. A series of baffles/chambers to smooth the exhaust flow?

volarchico
volarchico

Maybe they didn't have one long enough so they just cobbled together 4 or 5 short ones? :lol:

siskue2005

richard_leeds wrote:There are a lot of joints in what should be a straight tube, there must a be a reason for that.

I suspect there is something inside the tube. A series of baffles/chambers to smooth the exhaust flow?
you beat me to post that
i was thinking exactly that
well there is a reason for this
remember the claims about bag exhaust?