McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hecti
hecti

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

raymondu999 wrote:Is that an under nose turning vane in picture 4? A la Red Bull/Ferrari.
Not really like redbull/ferrari. its connected to their snow plow and its been there all season

ell66
ell66

Re: Williams FW33

beelsebob wrote:
MIKEY_! wrote:I doubt RBR will go for the low gearbox as the current arrangement works so well for them. Ferrari and Mclaren are possibilities though. I think we will see more of the double floor and U sidepods next year with the high nose and EBD gone.
Bear in mind that the high nose and snow plough do a lot to set up the air flow for the U sidepods – it could become harder to feed them next year.

huh? the mclaren has one of the lowest noses going, and the snow plow's been there since 2010.

Intego

madly wrote:Image
Hm, I missed somehow that MCL is using a RB-like flap above the diffusor? =D>
Just looked, they had it in Singapure, but not in Spa. I didn't find a photo from Monza. Anyone knows since when they have it?
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

raymondu999

All of the big teams have had it for some time. What Newey did was push it and put a gurney all around rather than simply on top
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

hecti wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Is that an under nose turning vane in picture 4? A la Red Bull/Ferrari.
Not really like redbull/ferrari. its connected to their snow plow and its been there all season
From Monaco yeah. Also the new gurney (although it may have been there at singapore) was first seen on the torro-rosso this season.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Intego

raymondu999 wrote:All of the big teams have had it for some time.
Are you sure?
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

beelsebob
beelsebob

ell66 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
MIKEY_! wrote:I doubt RBR will go for the low gearbox as the current arrangement works so well for them. Ferrari and Mclaren are possibilities though. I think we will see more of the double floor and U sidepods next year with the high nose and EBD gone.
Bear in mind that the high nose and snow plough do a lot to set up the air flow for the U sidepods – it could become harder to feed them next year.
huh? the mclaren has one of the lowest noses going, and the snow plow's been there since 2010.
Using the same logic:
A fork is more spiky than a spoon and has in the past been used for eating cake. Therefore it's not useful for eating potatoes.

PaulB

beelsebob wrote:
ell66 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:[...]
Using the same logic:
A fork is more spiky than a spoon and has in the past been used for eating cake. Therefore it's not useful for eating potatoes.
Look at the McLaren monocoque. It goes downwards. All the other cars have a sraight top edge at the monocoque, only the McLaren is not... At least the pictures are telling me that.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

MIKEY_!

A perforated gurney at least, which is what this looks like to me. RBR use a flap which did appear on the Torro Rosso first.

Intego

Sorry @all, wrong wording: of course I meant the perforated gurney.

(Though I don't know why we call this perforated gurney; neither it looks like a gurney flap nor is it perforated. Do I not get it or is this a bullshitty expression? Or is it too late for me now? :lol: )

MIKEY_!

Thats ok, the 'technical' names are a bit bogus. This is how i think it works:

Left is a normal Gurney. They can't make it taller (and increase DF) as it will stall. Perforated (middle) refers to a gap at the bottom of the gurney allowing air through so it won't stall and can be taller. On the right is the RBR style flap. They angle it back to get even more height and DF without it stalling.

Someone with more experience than me, please correct this post if I'm wrong.

PlatinumZealot

madly wrote:

can you believe it took them so long to get these redbull features on the damn car!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Banki
Banki

can the mclaren cross the 130r with opened drs?

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

yes, even Kovalainen with his Lotus could do that.

myurr
myurr

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:yes, even Kovalainen with his Lotus could do that.
Technically true if they slowed down enough, but McLaren and the others were shutting the DRS through 130R as that was the faster way through the corner for them. As far as I could tell the Red Bull was the only car running through there with the DRS wide open.