McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

To tell the truth i'm not sure what i am seeing right now. :mrgreen:
It's very interesting that they are so small.
Whether it's the cutouts working with the pointy tip on the end of the end plate is another thought for consideration.
For Sure!!

Lycoming
Lycoming

are we seeing similar vortices behind other cars? they are using the more popular style of rear wing now.

MIKEY_!

The vortex appears to be forming around the top of the endplate or from the slots in the endplate. Strange i though they were supposed to reduce the vortex.

Lycoming
Lycoming

the slots in the endplate reduce their severity by bleeding off the pressure differential between the top and bottom a bit and allowing them to mix, which inevitably creates a vortex. That does seem to be the usual position for them though. Im curious as to whether other teams have visible vortices because they all have them, but most of the time you can only see them on the mclaren cars (though they were also visible on the saubers in hungary this year)

feynman
feynman

ringo wrote:Am i the only one seeing the vortices on the wings here?
No mention of them at all?
They have had those vortices since the car rolled out in winter testing, photo from Jerez in February:

You normally don't see them looking like that due to the far-away and straight ahead TV angle they use when the cars are on the straights generating the vortices, they look like circles, but that is what they actually look like, long and spun-out.

The McLaren has been by far the most vorticey car from the beginning.

myurr
myurr

feynman wrote:
ringo wrote:Am i the only one seeing the vortices on the wings here?
No mention of them at all?
They have had those vortices since the car rolled out in winter testing, photo from Jerez in February:

You normally don't see them looking like that due to the far-away and straight ahead TV angle they use when the cars are on the straights generating the vortices, they look like circles, but that is what they actually look like, long and spun-out.

The McLaren has been by far the most vorticey car from the beginning.
Whilst true, this is the first time we've seen them with the new rear wing. Previously it had been suggested that it was the long chord upper plane in the rear wing that was helping them generate the vortices.

myurr
myurr

Hamilton, at least, didn't use that mini wing above the beam wing.

raymondu999

myurr wrote:Hamilton, at least, didn't use that mini wing above the beam wing.
Ah, but the question is; did he do the thing with the rear wing? :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Banki wrote:Bravo! =D> =D>
This should be in the race thread instead mate :wink:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Poleman

Credit goes to Formula1.com

raymondu999

Is that another rad on top? Fed from the secondary air box opening, I presume?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

I think its the gearbox rad, sits just inside the main exit there above the 'box. Other cars have it too. Unless I'm getting it confused with something else.

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Yes I saw that too. But others on the options could do it (Sauber/Lotus) so they must have been able to do it; or maybe just not confident enough to do it
I'm not convinced by "must have been able to do it" – if their DRS dumps more DF than anyone else's it's entirely conceivable that they couldn't.
Here's a thought. They could DRS through Turns 7 and 8 in quali earlier on; with a quick direction change in the middle. Would 130 not be easier than that to DRS through?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

Here's a graph of what I think have been the peformance differences / gains during the season

I must congratulate with McLaren for their magic recover on the single lap :) Nice work done, nice pole!

raymondu999

Sorry Javert - but what is it relative to; if you say differences? Surely there must be a benchmark "0" figure, so to speak? I would've thought RB7; but the RB7 line also moves in your graph
失败者找理由,成功者找方法