Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lurk

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

raymondu999 wrote:Don't forget McLaren have a certain affinity for assymetric exhausts. Like in 2009 and 2010
It was more the bodywork around & for cooling purpose. If they wanna blow something, I don't think asymetrical exhaust is a good thing.

@KevinR34:
Ferrari exhausts are not place at the extreme outside of the bodywork. They should be at the white reflections you can see on the top view.
Not an expert but I think they are trying to blow the beam wing.

Holm86

KevinR34 wrote:Image

This picture also shows something ive been talking about earlier.

I know thats just a mock-up floor/diffuser. But look how much taller the Ferrari difusser is. Its more than doubble the height of the McLaren.

scarlet
scarlet

Don't think so, merely a combination of photo angle/Ferrari using a cover that stretches down further towards the ground.

ReLax

Holm86 wrote:
KevinR34 wrote:Image

This picture also shows something ive been talking about earlier.

I know thats just a mock-up floor/diffuser. But look how much taller the Ferrari difusser is. Its more than doubble the height of the McLaren.
Maybe because McLaren didn't had an diffuser on the car?

raymondu999

A diffuser-less show floor? I don't think so. But we don't' see anything of a bigger diffuser here. We just see that Ferrari had a bigger cover
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ReLax

raymondu999 wrote:A diffuser-less show floor? I don't think so. But we don't' see anything of a bigger diffuser here. We just see that Ferrari had a bigger cover
Gary Anderson said, that the Diffuser wasn't on the Showcar of the new McLaren.
I've got only a german article at the moment.

Tyler
Tyler

fets81 wrote:just out of curiosity is it just lighting, the camera may not be bang on central but the exhausts don't look symmetrical

is that normal or just a trick of the eye or something?
Heehee - the McLaren threads have posts about something on the car being asymmetrical every year without fail.

MIKEY_!

I think the exhausts could be diverted inside the car if there was a source of very high speed gasses to seal the exit.

This perhaps: (1) is the exhaust exit as defined by the FIA. (2) is the exhaust cone as defined by the FIA (note that no bodywork is in this area) (3) is the duct where we want the exhaust to flow (it exits at the diffuser or anywhere else you have in mind) (4) is the duct for high speed airflow that crosses the exhaust cone and seals it inside the bodywork. This then flows along the sidepod.

A few concerns: Firstly where do we get this high speed sealing airflow from? Two, it would have to be faster moving than the exhaust (I think) so why aren't we using that to blow the diffuser? This faster flow could be captured for use by some extra bodywork that I've only just thought of.
What would the FIA's stance be on bodywork flexing into the exhaust cone???

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:A diffuser-less show floor? I don't think so. But we don't' see anything of a bigger diffuser here. We just see that Ferrari had a bigger cover
McLaren appear to have a diffuser-less show floor.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

That doesn't look diffuser less.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Erotamu
Erotamu

maybe just as a plastic imitation :-#

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Owen.C93 wrote:That doesn't look diffuser less.
I'm not sure what you're looking at then. Here is another. If you go to Racecar engineering there are more photos too. You can see clearly that the back is covered and there is no room for strakes, hence no diffuser. Add on top of that that Gary Anderson who was there and inspected the car in person said the '27 didn't have a diffuse. Don't know what else to say.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

THe floor between the rear wheels has a diffuser shape moulded in to it. They may not have fitted the strakes but the floor is definitely forming the roof of the diffuser. It's as clear as day.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

raymondu999

Coefficient wrote:Shelly,

most of the livery is painted on i.e the bright Red Vodafone area.
McLaren will paint on their major sponsors logos but apply decals for the minor sponsors. This is simply because its cheaper to apply a decal on a front wing end plate than it is to create a paint mask for a spray booth.
Decals are very much alive in F1.

Other logos like the Mobil 1 logo or the Mercedes Benz logo are actually water transfers applied before the final two layers of clear cote goes on. Even for those its too expensive and complex to make a mask. Easier to apply water transfer. they're thin, light and accurately replicated over and over. Imagine a paint run while applying the three pointed star?? the whole engine cover would need tobe repainted
On the topic of decals; look at 0:18... they're applying sponsor and car logos on.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1VabFboeU[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Shrieker

beelsebob wrote:
Javert wrote:
mozza_84 wrote:just read on one of my f1 andriod apps that charlie whiting is attending jerez to inspect mclarens exhaust system theres rumours that they have exploited the regulations and found something with the exhaust which has been camoflaged by the bulge at the rear of the car.

the app is livesports24 racing.
An "Octopus-style" bulge where exhaust pipes blow their gases and then they are carried everywhere in the car?
This can explain why they need more air inside the sidepod :mrgreen:
In all these theories no one has managed to explain how you'd divert the exhaust flow with no body work in the cone the gasses exit through.
I've tried something on page 29. Too complicated, or too far fetched ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk