Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Boost wrote:
Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... &p=5515198
There are some intersting bits from the Renault engine guy Jean Caubet in the sportbild print issue.
He says the Mercedes engine has 15 hp more than Renault but their engine is more fuel efficient and the drivability is better.
Overall he says they have a small edge over Mercedes.
His rating puts the Ferrari engine as 3rd best, having about the same hp output as Renault but a higher consumption and worse drivability.
He added that Red Bull can start the race with 15-18(!) liter less fuel than the competitors.
Caubet also gives a hint that they found a clever solution with Red Bull to re-gain the performance loss of the hot blowing.
I didn't think that the Renault engine used hot blowing.

Do his consumption figures come from last year when the Merc used hot blowing? Not only was this used to drive the diffuser but also to compensate for the drag of the KERs unit when harvesting energy which would have had an effect on the fuel consumption.
I believe Renault used the Hot blowing, where Red Bull didnt because of the temperatures generated were detrimental to their setup
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

PlatinumZealot

All the top teams used hot blowing, when they had the overrun ban at silverstone Renault just said that after dropping the hot blowing they will still need the cold blowing, Which was an exaggerated claim.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

raymondu999

Apparently though Red Bull's exhaust couldn't handle hot blowing
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

But Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said over the course of the weekend in Spain that they had tried 'hot blowing' and abandoned it because it was burning the bodywork - so had stuck with the less influential 'cold-blowing', where the throttles are kept open but fuel is not burnt. This produces significantly less energy and so is less effective than hot blowing.
Thats a quote From CH during the Hot vs Cold blowing debate, and that up until silverstone Red Bull has not been using hot Blowing
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

PlatinumZealot

Of course he's gonna say that.
But do you belief him?
I don't.

That car sounded like a 2 pound bag of Microwave popcorn in Monza.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmGgvHflXgc[/youtube]
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

LoudHoward
LoudHoward

I wouldn't be concerned about balance issues at this point, I mean they've changed the profile of the rear tyres, changed the exhaust and diffuser massively, the front wing has been strengthened and it's a brand new car on a track that isn't rubbered in. We also don't know the fuel loads, if they're running a truckload of fuel it's going to look sluggish. I'm content to wait until they've worked on the setup for a bit to get more of an idea of the cars behaviour.

raymondu999

LoudHoward I couldn't help but imagine that comment said in the obnoxious Loud Howard voice :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6j2B2q0xZo[/youtube]

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

The Red Bull sounds completely different to the Ferrari and The Mclaren who we know were using Hot Blowing, a comparison of a Renault and a RedBull would be more beneficial
Last edited by Steven on 08 Feb 2012, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove quoted post

Hail22

Long time stalker first time poster.

I can't help but throw a spanner in the works as to why they were covering the rear of the RB8 but then i noticed something that looks to create drag under the body thus giving some form of downforce due to it scooping flow from the underside of the pods.

Thoughts/criticism?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

That hole you can see is the Hole for the starter motor.

Last year Red Bull channelled air from ontop of the floor through to under the diffuser, increasing the flow and therefore the downforce

munudeges
munudeges

What they've done with the extensive fins around the brake duct area is impressive and seems to be something no other team quite has.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Very thin stay for the splitter. Can anyone say flexible?

raymondu999

Looks like a strand of floss :shock:

Neno
Neno

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Very thin stay for the splitter. Can anyone say flexible?

last year car on some parts was flexible, this year I'm counting all parts of the car are flexible like rubber :mrgreen:

munudeges
munudeges

The Red Bull has always looked a bit....thin.