Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

I think getting some pressure inside the cockpit may well have a positive effect on how it interacts with the flow.

Ian P. wrote:a boundary layer break over the top of the chasis

yes, the "air dam" idea someone ran on CFD a few pages back looked pretty convincing for my money.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

I Think one things for certain there is more to this slot than simply cooling.

i believe it is functioning to reduce boundary layer on top of the nose at that point, less pressure drag than the Ferrari solution

EDIT*

I should be shot for some of the grammar i use on this forum :(... need a red bull
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

horse

avatar wrote:yes, the "air dam" idea someone ran on CFD a few pages back looked pretty convincing for my money.
This?
n smikle wrote:Could it be an air dam?

Ansys eat your heart out!

This isn't CFD, now, is it?

Why would you put energy into trying pushing air out of that slot into the oncomimng flow? Doesn't seem right to me. Or are you saying this can happen passively? Still don't believe it.

I think bleeding off the boundary layer might well be closer to the truth and I still think the Sauber solution is neater.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

horse wrote:
avatar wrote:yes, the "air dam" idea someone ran on CFD a few pages back looked pretty convincing for my money.
This?
n smikle wrote:Could it be an air dam?

Ansys eat your heart out!

This isn't CFD, now, is it?

Why would you put energy into trying pushing air out of that slot into the oncomimng flow? Doesn't seem right to me. Or are you saying this can happen passively? Still don't believe it.

I think bleeding off the boundary layer might well be closer to the truth and I still think the Sauber solution is neater.
]

Looks like Ms Paint to me.. but someone mentioned the idea of the hollow point air rifle bullet. Sometimes a instead of a "aerodynamic" shape, a hollow instinctively draggy shape actually has a better reaction with the air flow.

Something to do with a boundary of air collecting around the hollow area almost acting as a buffer for other air and improving overall flow..

PlatinumZealot

Robbobnob wrote:
Cold Blowing is not Banned this year, only hot blowing by the regulation requiring the throttle to match the accelerator pedal.

Renault claim they used it back in 2009 for reliability and cooling. If any audio or a video of the Renault powered cars would be great!!
The difference between cold and hot is really the spark timing and fuel duty cycle not whether the throttle is CPU controlled or not. Teams can still use hot blowing or cold blowing. Just no multiple maps and no CPU throttle control after a certain rpm.

Hot blowing is just extreme delayed spark. You loose power but you get a very loud explosion in the exhaust pipes just like a WRC car. RedBull was the most pronounced with this in the second half of the season. I wouldn't put it past them to use a mild version of hot blowing or this year. Once you here those "gunshots" you know there is explosions in the exhaust pipes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

The air intake on the nose is far too large for its primary purpose to be "driver cooling".

And an "air dam" is the last thing he would want in that already narrowed area between the front tires (an air dam, and the air being redirected by it, wouldn't just go upward, but also outward).

I believe Adrian Newey is attempting to have the exact the opposite effect of an air dam. He is trying to get rid of any build up of air caused by this newly necessary hump in the nose by routing air through the bulkhead, past the driver, and out the cockpit opening.

Giblet
Giblet

Is it far too large? The old hole was a hole. This is a slot.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

jordangp

Adrian Newby wrote:The air intake on the nose is far too large for its primary purpose to be "driver cooling".

And an "air dam" is the last thing he would want in that already narrowed area between the front tires (an air dam, and the air being redirected by it, wouldn't just go upward, but also outward).

I believe Adrian Newey is attempting to have the exact the opposite effect of an air dam. He is trying to get rid of any build up of air caused by this newly necessary hump in the nose by routing air through the bulkhead, past the driver, and out the cockpit opening.
Although I have nothing to reply to your thoughts, i must applaud you for your name :lol: =D>

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Giblet wrote:Is it far too large? The old hole was a hole. This is a slot.
You have to count the area "radiused in" to the hole/slot in the total. The new intake is quite a bit larger overall.

Hangaku

murtoidf1 wrote: Looks like Ms Paint to me.. but someone mentioned the idea of the hollow point air rifle bullet. Sometimes a instead of a "aerodynamic" shape, a hollow instinctively draggy shape actually has a better reaction with the air flow.

Something to do with a boundary of air collecting around the hollow area almost acting as a buffer for other air and improving overall flow..
I subscribe to this idea. The air collected in the hole acts like a *bubble* of air, the allows external air to flow over it much more freely. The pressure might increase downforce, while not losing any "slippyness".

What a horrible description. Ugh.
Yer.

Hangaku

Adrian Newby wrote:The air intake on the nose is far too large for its primary purpose to be "driver cooling".

If that is the case, they could sculpt the nose to have a much less harsh angle on it, a la McLaren. I think it is something more than this.
Yer.

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Hangaku wrote:

If that is the case, they could sculpt the nose to have a much less harsh angle on it, a la McLaren. I think it is something more than this.
They only have a limited area (150mm?) to complete the transition from the nose to the chassis. Also, the "intake" section, by rule, must be into the chassis, not the nose. So it has to be at the bulkhead, not before.

The other thing to keep in mind is that what is important is the entire 3D area, not just the top of the nose. The aerodynamics of the top of the nose are by far the least important, compared to those of the sides, and especially the bottom.

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

jordangp wrote:

Although I have nothing to reply to your thoughts, i must applaud you for your name :lol: =D>
Thanks! :D

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

I have also noticed that none of the teams have created humps which are rounded on the sides, even though that would create less drag. This is more proof to me that they want as little air as possible pushing out from the top. Newey even built fences on either side of his ramp/intake to keep it from happening.