Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Now, if mc are using downwash to deflect the exhaust plume, would ambient temperature difference between 5° and 35°C make some difference on exhausts' path?
twitter: @armchair_aero

Shakeman

raymondu999 wrote:If you have a good seal on the diffuser, you prevent tyre squirt and leakage of air in/out the sides, and you can run a higher rake angle
Right, got it. Thanks.

FrukostScones

nothing to see here, but nice picture inmho
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

munudeges
munudeges

Ferrari are doing something similar but less sophisticated where they've ended up burning away a large part of their bodywork. Whether this will work or not and they're able to redirect the gas consistently enough I'm not so sure.

Shakeman

Sauber are doing a similar thing with their exhaust/side pod combination. Scarbs has just tweeted an image.

Very similar exhaust channel to the McLaren but a conventional side pod.

Edit: Intego has posted image in the Sauber C31 thread.

amouzouris

i actually said before that i think mclaren is trying to seal the diffuser by deflecting the exhaust plume...BUT on second thought i find it hard seeing how air moving from 180-300 kph could deflect the exhaust plume traveling at 600-700 kph at 90 degrees...also..last year the exhaust was far closer to the floor but we didnt see any kind of floor burning because of the use of heat shielding materials...so why wouldnt mclaren use heat shielding materials again which would both keep what they are doing a secret...so what we are seeing on the floor might actually be parts of the tire ripping apart and being thrown on the floor by the wheel turning... since they are probably blowing the brake duct fins and also blowing the edge of the tire ripping it apart...
i also had a look on the sauber solution which is very different i believe as they are trying to keep the plume attached to the bodywork...not deflect it by the airstream..

raymondu999

Maybe they thought heat shielding would attract more suspicion?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

amouzouris

maybe...who knows...we will discover sooner or later!! (its getting very exciting!! :D )

edit: i want to make it clear that im not supporting one or the other...im just saying that there are two sides to the argument...both quite strong...

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

From the Autosport site

LH:"You never know what fuel loads people are on. I think we've been quite aggressive with our fuel loads."

What do you reckon Hamilton means by this?

High or low?

myurr
myurr

TheWiseOwl wrote:From the Autosport site

LH:"You never know what fuel loads people are on. I think we've been quite aggressive with our fuel loads."

What do you reckon Hamilton means by this?

High or low?
I read it as high, as in they were going for good performance but with a higher than average fuel load. However it could be read either way so not a lot of help!

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

myurr wrote: I read it as high, as in they were going for good performance but with a higher than average fuel load. However it could be read either way so not a lot of help!
Yeah I thought he meant high, but just wanted to get a second opinion as it is a very ambiguous statement!

OO7
OO7

Shrieker wrote:It's clear now that McLaren are trying to seal or blow over the difuser. I'm afraid they've shown their hand too early. They should've been more cautious and added extra heat shielding on their floor, shots of their floor section between the exhaust exit and the rear wheel are very revealing.
Heat shielding would be revealing also.

amouzouris

last year didnt they use heat shielding with black colour? that wouldnt be revealing

Shakeman

In one of the practices last year Lewis was bemoaning his pace compared to the RB and was reminded by his engineer they (McLaren) fuel their cars heavier during practice.

I still don't think reading anything into the times is going to get anyone anywhere fast as there's all sorts of evaluations taking place.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Shrieker wrote:
KeiKo403 wrote:Are these not just tyre marbles?
Owen.C93 wrote: Anyway I guess this is the burnt floor. Right click view etc
boyracer94 wrote:Burn marks on the floor in front of the rear wheels:

Are they ? Idk...
Yeah just marbles by the looks of it. I doubt McLaren could really blow the floor and make it worth while.

Right click view image to zoom in.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)