Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Tyler
Tyler

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Ferraripilot wrote:I think the low sidepod openings some are commenting regarding are an illusion. The head-on shot posted earlier clarifies the upper area of the sidepod to be in a traditional position.
You may be right, it's really impossible to tell from these shots for sure but it's fun to do a bit of speculating.
To me it doesn't look like an optical illusion.
I'm going to put a wild theory out that the sidepods are actually divided into two sections utilising their double radiator arrangement which they were already using on the W02.So there's effectively 2 pods on each side with the larger wider sidepod containing one radiator sitting on a narrower sidepod with the 2nd radiator.
The openings may or may not be joined and this configuration will result in the pods taking on a shape similar to the McLaren U-pod but turned on it's side with there being an undercut as a result.
The top pod may even be shaped like the McLaren U-pods so there may be an uppercut and an undercut even.

dren

The car looks almost identical to the W02. Even the stepped nose looks close to what they ran last year.
Honda!

FrukostScones

Tyler wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:I think the low sidepod openings some are commenting regarding are an illusion. The head-on shot posted earlier clarifies the upper area of the sidepod to be in a traditional position.
You may be right, it's really impossible to tell from these shots for sure but it's fun to do a bit of speculating.
I'm going to put a wild theory out that the sidepods are actually divided into two sections utilising their double radiator arrangement which they were already using on the W02.So there's effectively 2 pods on each side with the larger wider sidepod containing one radiator sitting on a narrower sidepod with the 2nd radiator.
The openings may or may not be joined and this configuration will result in the pods taking on a shape similar to the McLaren U-pod but turned on it's side with there being an undercut as a result.
The top pod may even be shaped like the McLaren U-pods so there may be an uppercut and an undercut even.
I like what you say but I don't get your "drawings". Why don't you draw it on a pc or on paper and upload it?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Mr.S
Mr.S

FrukostScones wrote:willimas scoop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbtzx8ZGJg4
Why are you spamming??

This has nothing to do with Mercedes & is misleading mate.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Mr.S wrote:

Why are you spamming??

Because I asked what the williams scoop was.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

FrukostScones

Mr.S wrote:

Why are you spamming??

If you can read than this will be no problem, this thread is doomed anyway, it will be closed next tuesday around 8:20h CET so there is nothing much left to damage here. Only lazy boys will get lost. 5 days of fun left!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Tyler
Tyler

FrukostScones wrote:
Tyler wrote:
I like what you say but I don't get your "drawings". Why don't you draw it on a pc or on paper and upload it?
Thanks, when I posted it removed all the spacings so it didn't translate to the screen as expected so I'll do as you say and rather draw and scan.

dren

Tyler wrote:

I think the color is playing tricks with your eyes. Here is a picture of what was at the last test.

Honda!

Mestrades
Mestrades

Mercedes official tweet:

"MERCEDES AMG F1@MercedesAMGF1
Lots of questions about Silverstone and shakedowns…"

More:

MERCEDES AMG F1@MercedesAMGF1
We’re happy to report that our new car, the F1 W03, completed its first 100 kms during a filming day today...

MERCEDES AMG F1@MercedesAMGF1
Nico and Michael completed 50kms each at Silverstone, with Nico taking the W03 out for its first lap at 10.24 (precisely)...

MERCEDES AMG F1@MercedesAMGF1Responder
Check in tomorrow for the results of the filming…
Last edited by Mestrades on 16 Feb 2012, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.

mcjamweasel

Dear lord, you can't even tell that the wheels are found in some of those screenshots and yet people still think that they can analyse the layout.

As a certain Mr D.Mouse would say, 'crumbs cheif'.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Hah, that's crazy, every pre season more and more members join here and have a postcount half of mine after 5 days only....

Yet some are unable to tell the difference between cars....

Schurcedes
Schurcedes

Let's not overdo the old car routine. It's clearly a stepped nose in the video, and it's their new car. There would be no point to putting on dummy parts on an old car even for a 'filming day' five days before a test.

Mercedes tweeted this a few minutes ago:
MERCEDES AMG F1 @MercedesAMGF1 Close
Nico and Michael completed 50kms each at Silverstone, with Nico taking the W03 out for its first lap at 10.24 (precisely)...
MERCEDES AMG F1 @MercedesAMGF1 Close
Check in tomorrow for the results of the filming…

dren

Schurcedes wrote:Let's not overdo the old car routine. It's clearly a stepped nose in the video, and it's their new car. There would be no point to putting on dummy parts on an old car even for a 'filming day' five days before a test.
It just looks a lot like the W02 from the blur we've seen. Sounds like we may get to see the film tomorrow...
Honda!

Faustino
Faustino

I've enjoyed reading the speculation on here for a few days so time to stop lurking :)

It's been a good few years since i've been as excited about an F1 season.
Since MS came out of retirement i've wanted him to win a race or two and finally i think they will give him a car capable of it.

The video from Silverstone today shows a few things, the car has a stepped nose like the others. The front wing definitely has something going on that the others don't, but it's too difficult to make anything out from those pics.

We'll have to wait a few more days to see it properly.

She sounds angry though!

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Intego wrote:My native language is German. :wink:

I don't want to be offensive, but there and their is just #-o and it happen's too often :mrgreen:
Sometimes it happen`s to me that i mess up there`s and theirs but always i ask myself, who cares :D