Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
murtoidf1
murtoidf1

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

lets assume the tyres are degrading due to exhaust flow, what could they do to combat it?

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

murtoidf1 wrote:lets assume the tyres are degrading due to exhaust flow, what could they do to combat it?
They could change the exhaust housing angle by 1 degree. But that's not what's happening. The left rear tire is like that because this track is super left side dependent. That is additional shear load from high G turning on left high speed sweepers. As you can see the right rear doesn't have the same inside degradation that would indicate the exhaust burning away the tire

ianwit
ianwit

Crash Bandicoot wrote:Isn't this just a weight thing? Doesn't a simple nut and thread just give you much less unsprung weight than a hydraulic system?
Very good point, unsprung weight would be a primary objective.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

McLaren DRS actuator

right click>view image

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Also with the threaded nut you can torque it up that means you'll effectivly lock the wheel into position onto the hub. I guess if you use a push fit coupling device then when the brakes are applied what makes the wheel actually stop spinning and the same under acceleration?

EDIT: :idea: However this is only an issue with a 'round peg in a round hole' If the end of the hub is square or even octaganle and the hole in the centre of the wheel is the same shape then maybe we could be onto something here.
The more i think about this the retaining device could be built into the wheels some how so that pit crews push the wheel on and it is locked into place straight away....Don't know, we could be flogging a dead horse here, so to speak!
Last edited by KeiKo403 on 02 Mar 2012, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

adrianjordan

KeiKo403 wrote:Also with the threaded nut you can torque it up that means you'll effectivly lock the wheel into position onto the hub. I guess if you use a push fit coupling device then when the brakes are applied what makes the wheel actually stop spinning and the same under acceleration?
My non-technical brain would suggest that some sort of interlocking teeth on the wheel and hub (not sure if that's the right description) would solve this...

Though I agree that the traditional threaded nut is probably still the best option - there's a reason it's still around after so many years...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Closer look at exhaust bulges

right click>view image

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

KeiKo403 wrote:Also with the threaded nut you can torque it up that means you'll effectivly lock the wheel into position onto the hub. I guess if you use a push fit coupling device then when the brakes are applied what makes the wheel actually stop spinning and the same under acceleration?

EDIT: :idea: However this is only an issue with a 'round peg in a round hole' If the end of the hub is square or even octaganle and the hole in the centre of the wheel is the same shape then maybe we could be onto something here.
The more i think about this the retaining device could be built into the wheels some how so that pit crews push the wheel on and it is locked into place straight away....Don't know, we could be flogging a dead horse here, so to speak!
Actually, bear with me hear....lets stick to the round peg and round hole scenario. Could there be some kind of electromagnetic coupling between the hub and the wheel?

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

What could that tiny hole, where the sidepod meets the floor, be?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Pup wrote:Tire wear on the rears is looking really nice and even, yes?

Yes, seems to be a lot of stuff taped to the beam wing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The hub has drive teeth that engage with suitable indentations on the wheel's inner face. The nut is just there to stop the wheel moving outwards on the half shaft.

One benefit of of nuts and threads is that you can choose the thread direction so that the nut self tightens when rotated. Would certainly be an effect on the rears where the tyre often slips as the they leave the pit box and the wheel is accelerated briefly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Jef Patat wrote:What could that tiny hole, where the sidepod meets the floor, be?
A hole for stuff....Usually testing equipment.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Blackout

:-k

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Woah, great photo of the glowing brake disc there

ovidiulucaci

New front wing with some new elements?