Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

It helps drive flow through the diffuser as well.

banibhusan

Lycoming wrote:It helps drive flow through the diffuser as well.
How? Can you please explain?
bhallg2k wrote:They specifically help with downforce by keeping air flow attached to the rear wing, and that allows for higher AoA. I think we'll see them more and more as all of the cars seem to be converging on Red Bull-style central vents, which enhances the performance of those wings.
I'll buy that. Just one question. Would it help attach the flow over the whole cross-section of the rear wing plate? It looks quite small a wing to affect the airflow of the whole width of the rear wing. :?

chepoi
chepoi

i like this.......

raymondu999

banibhusan wrote:
Lycoming wrote:It helps drive flow through the diffuser as well.
How? Can you please explain?
It helps by further reducing the pressure behind it; which helps the extraction of the diffuser. A bit like the gurney tab most teams stick along the diffuser edge.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

Lucozade, on the rear wing, is written in a font that looks like its right off of a 1980's rally car
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Muulka
Muulka

Pierce89 wrote:Lucozade, on the rear wing, is written in a font that looks like its right off of a 1980's rally car
I think that this will create a vortex which will help prevent flow separation. Brilliant aero design!
(not taking the mickey out of you mate- just some fun!)

Raptor22
Raptor22

banibhusan wrote:@Crucial

Whitmarsh confirmed on the SKY sports coverage that they have a new floor for this weekend. That's why they were running with all these rear aero sensors.

Btw, can anyone enlighten me on the purpose of these monkey seats?

The monkey seat provides a place for the monkey to sit other than on the drivers back. Its a good luck thing

princekaisus
princekaisus

Martin Whitmarsh said Hamilton had been running old gear box in FP1 and FP2. Decision is not made if he has penalty or not.It remains unclear.There is a crack on gearbox that's all he said but they are running still.Find it amazing.Whats your thoughts

raymondu999

Depends where the crack is. If it was on the casing I think it'd survive. 2 words. Monza 2009.

Rubens' gearbox caught fire (I mean a proper fire. Flames were coming out of the engine cover, not just smoke) in Spa 2009, he didn't replace it for the next race. He won.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pandabeer
Pandabeer

I think it would be a risk to not change the damaged gearbox. Hamilton then may be quali for pole, but he will be racing with a damaged gearbox which could fail every lap. So IMHO it's smarter to change the gearbox and take a 5 places grid penalty, but be sure the gearbox is working fine from race start on. But i do not know how big the damage of the gearbox is..

princekaisus
princekaisus

Whitmarsh also stated that its 99% it would be changed but its like penality.Its only 1% it will not change

Lycoming
Lycoming

Im not sure a crack on the casing would be so benign... don't forget, the casing is part of the car's structure. The suspension loads are fed into the gear casing, then into the engine and into the rest of the chassis. Even if it didn't fail, it would affect stiffness.

Raptor22
Raptor22

depends where the crack is

Princey

princekaisus wrote:Martin Whitmarsh said Hamilton had been running old gear box in FP1 and FP2. Decision is not made if he has penalty or not.It remains unclear.There is a crack on gearbox that's all he said but they are running still.Find it amazing.Whats your thoughts
It's a wearing bearing I think.. they found particles in the oil which shows that a bearing is wearing.. They said its 99% they will change it and if they didn't for this weekend that it wouldn't last past this race anyway so it makes sense to change it here where Lewis goes well and can make up places due to the nature of the Circuit.
Don't Kanye me. Or I'll Chris Brown you and Tiger Woods your mother.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Pandabeer wrote:I think it would be a risk to not change the damaged gearbox. Hamilton then may be quali for pole, but he will be racing with a damaged gearbox which could fail every lap. So IMHO it's smarter to change the gearbox and take a 5 places grid penalty, but be sure the gearbox is working fine from race start on. But i do not know how big the damage of the gearbox is..
Especially as it has to last the whole of bahrain anyway. If they don't change it don't they run the risk of getting hit twice? Once if it gives up the ghost and the second time in Bahrain when they have to put in another gearbox.