Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
.poz
.poz

Re: Ferrari F2012

bhallg2k wrote:Not so, my friend. Ferrari didn't even attempt to seal the diffuser in Monaco, where the "magic" setup was "discovered." Instead, they used the solution tested in Mugello, which directed the exhaust plume to the beam wing. The current, and by all measures most effective, solution wasn't introduced until the next race in Canada.
IMHO as soon they got rid of coaxial acer duct the cleaner flux on the rear make them able to run with more rake

That said i think that blowing/sealing the diffuser is not the key to win the championship this year, having a car that can be set-up to make work tyres in their sweet spot on most track is more important and Ferrari is making a good work on that

Italiano
Italiano

Wasn't the F2012s concept invisioned before Fry? Or is he hands down the one that got the project underway?
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Spankyham

Spankyham wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:OK, edit, I have to avoid double-posting: Since the usual resources of finding great post-race stuff are gone, does anybody have a picture of the front wing fluttering that occurred on Alonso's car in the middle of the race?
I'm extremely curious to watch the lap in context and see what might have caused that.
Thanks mate, that helps alot. Will look forward to reading the blog. PM me when you get that done plz.

I mentioned elsewhere that I have a recording, can you give me lap number and I'll see what I can get posted :)
Here's a gif of what you were looking for I think. HD vid is available if anyone wants just PM me :)
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

Huntresa
Huntresa

Yeah it flutters so does the rear tyre cause he is driving over what is known as a kerb, which isnt flat :P
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 09 Jul 2012, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote. see previoust post for it

McMrocks
McMrocks

In 2010 McLaren had fluttering frontwings at Turkey due to the bumps. Someone in the TV said that McLaren has done some weights in the frontwing. Could this be a reason for the fluttering wings or was this man on TV wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1OL0rS520
at 1:37

lol very tricky to find videos from the race because the most are showing codemasters f1 2010

Kiril Varbanov

Spankyham wrote: Here's a gif of what you were looking for I think. HD vid is available if anyone wants just PM me :)
Lovely, thanks, so it's just an aggressive attack over the kerb and lots of body twist.

type056
type056

Regarding to Ferrari new front wing does anyone know how endplate gills work and what is advantage of having more gills on endplate.
also what is advantage of more slot in main plan and flap e.g Ferrari 5 elements FW V.s others 3 or 4 elements FW.

Goran2812
Goran2812

pa dečki mislim stvarno... :D

Anyway... The car is no2 for now... I'm guessing they still have something up their sleeve for the next races so I hope we improve even more! ;)
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Forza

I've searched for pictures of F2012 to see if there is more rake on the car in relation to prevoius setup but its hard to compare from different angles. Even If you comapre pictures of F2012 from GBR GP you get the idea that pictures don't tell much. 10mm could make a difference but you won't see that on pictures (angles, shadows, suspension movement etc.)

Joie de vivre

ajmo dečki smirite konje :D

there is no doubt that revised exhaust position improved their performance. i really wonder if any of the teams will go after RBR steps and try modified saubers exhaust w/ the tunnels ...

regarding tyre degredation ... isn't higher downforce helping to reduce tyre wear since higher downforce eliminates some sliding and it improves better control of the car in corners?

Ra8
Ra8

...tek počelo :P... Joie de vivre iz slo avtomobilizma? :D

I don't think Ferrari will go the RB route with "double floor". I personally think Ferrari will go their own way with modifications all around the car, not just concentrating on one "big" thing like Merc's front blown wing or RB's tunnels.

Tyre degradation seems good, high speed corners are good, maybe they still lack a little bit of traction and top speed but thats manageable if they continue to improve in such pace as they did till now.

Nonetheless I think this championship will be won and lost on tyres... at least for now it looks like.

Hail22

Looks like Ferrari used Fridays rain as an excuse to do controlled speed testing with sensors?

Check this video from 4:25 onwards...very controlled...as if they're testing or evaluating possible new upgrades:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sr__ZzYbT4[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

McMrocks wrote:In 2010 McLaren had fluttering frontwings at Turkey due to the bumps. Someone in the TV said that McLaren has done some weights in the frontwing. Could this be a reason for the fluttering wings or was this man on TV wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1OL0rS520
at 1:37

lol very tricky to find videos from the race because the most are showing codemasters f1 2010
The 2010 McLaren isn't a very good baseline to compare anything with. That car was massively stiff on the front, and whenever there was a bump under braking it would just start porpoising like mad.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

jaba.hut

Back to the topic. What still worries me is that F2012 lacks end speed. I think that we were around 10kph slower then fastest car and with Germany's 2 long straits I am afraid that car will suffer. I am confused if this is due to lack of power from engine and transmission or still we need more wings then rest of the field to achieve high and low speed traction.

bhall
bhall

I've seen a lot of it on the forum the last couple of days, but it's probably a mistake to look to make performance comparisons based on what we saw at Silverstone. With the omnipresent threat of heavy rain hanging over the entire weekend, car setups were all over the place as teams gambled one way or the other.