Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
superdread
superdread

Re: Ferrari F2012

One question about these straight-line aero tests: Do they use the ultra-hard tires they also get for filming?

Ferrari2183
Ferrari2183

kebab wrote:Ferraris was on used tires which went thru Q2 then the times weren't bad actually.
Where is this info coming from. From what I gather they used their last set of options in Q3. The drivers didn't string a lap together that's all. Their best sector times indicate a 21.4 was possible.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Pierce89

superdread wrote:One question about these straight-line aero tests: Do they use the ultra-hard tires they also get for filming?
I believe they do, but I'm not positive. I don't think Pirelli provides the race tire except for at races and group tests. If Pirelli would sell them race tires, they'd probably be testing in secret in 3rd world countries.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Italiano Tifoso
Italiano Tifoso

I have been thinking about the benefit in tilting the engine and used the assumption that it is for aero benefit as aero is the name of the game in modern F1.

If you have a look at the idea's of RB with respect to the airflow they are trying to accelerate beneath the sidepods, one thing i am thinking of is that by tilting and raising the rear of the engine by a few degrees there may be a greater ability to force a greater volume of airflow beneath the sidepods (RB style) and through the starter motor hole in the diffuser delivering greater levels of downforce without the drag.

This may also then work well in conjunction with the front wing they have tested which looks like it serves the purpose of forcing more air away from the front tyres and over the horizontal planes of the front wing to generate more downforce.

Not knowing the problems with the front wing, i have just assumed that balance is the problem and that perhaps there is too much front end downforce relative to the rear leading to a problematic balance issue which will potentially cause greater tyre degradation.

Lots of maybe's and what if's in here but no one else seems to have provided an answer as to the beneft of tilting the engine (which is not a new Ferrrai concept BTW), thought i would give it a go with my limited technical knowledge of F1.

Ferrari2183
Ferrari2183

So it has been confirmed that their recent updates haven't worked... When are they going to bury this correlation issue?

timbo
timbo

Ferrari2183 wrote:So it has been confirmed that their recent updates haven't worked.
Who said that?

Ferrari2183
Ferrari2183

timbo wrote:
Ferrari2183 wrote:So it has been confirmed that their recent updates haven't worked.
Who said that?
Lobato.

And besides, I think it is quite evident that the new front and rear wing has not worked as expected. Who knows what else...

timbo
timbo

Ferrari2183 wrote:And besides, I think it is quite evident that the new front and rear wing has not worked as expected. Who knows what else...
How can this be "evident"? Without precise knowledge of their program it's quite hard to say, maybe they were just evaluating parts for a bigger update.
Their race pace in Hungary was not great, but not too bad either.
And they are definitely most progressed team in terms of pace since Australia.

Ferrari2183
Ferrari2183

timbo wrote:
Ferrari2183 wrote:And besides, I think it is quite evident that the new front and rear wing has not worked as expected. Who knows what else...
How can this be "evident"? Without precise knowledge of their program it's quite hard to say, maybe they were just evaluating parts for a bigger update.
Their race pace in Hungary was not great, but not too bad either.
And they are definitely most progressed team in terms of pace since Australia.
If the testing of the wings were merely a data gathering exercise they would have put it on one car in FP1 and evaluate its effects and moved on to setup work for the rest of the practice sessions as they did last year when they introduced the new wing. The fact that they had both drivers running, back to backing it, making adjustments and running it as far as 2nd practice says to me that they just have not figured it out yet.

You are entitled to believe what you want but where there is smoke there is fire.

Redragon

Alonso said in an interview for the spanish press
That the car is the same for the last 4 races and not mayor changes have been made.
So I don't think to say the Fw and Rw didn't work it is a bit out of the blue
because they haven't run them.

f1316
f1316

Redragon wrote:Alonso said in an interview for the spanish press
That the car is the same for the last 4 races and not mayor changes have been made.
So I don't think to say the Fw and Rw didn't work it is a bit out of the blue
because they haven't run them.
If the race car has been the same, it's because the updates to the wings that they did run in practice didn't do what was expected of them.

amouzouris

or maybe they are indeed collecting data for a bigger upgrade package....if you remember four races is what it took ferrari to introduce the big upgrade package in Barcelona and made up that much time...maybe they are planning to do the same again...
and the fact that they were using both cars only means that they were collecting more data...two is better than one

f1316
f1316

amouzouris wrote:or maybe they are indeed collecting data for a bigger upgrade package....if you remember four races is what it took ferrari to introduce the big upgrade package in Barcelona and made up that much time...maybe they are planning to do the same again...
and the fact that they were using both cars only means that they were collecting more data...two is better than one
But don't you think that, if the upgrades had a positive influence on the car, they would be raced? A team are not likely to removr an update, even if the gain it represents is a thousandth of a second.

Or are you saying that these form part of a bigger upgrade because they would only work in conjunction with other upgrades?

Pierce89

f1316 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:or maybe they are indeed collecting data for a bigger upgrade package....if you remember four races is what it took ferrari to introduce the big upgrade package in Barcelona and made up that much time...maybe they are planning to do the same again...
But don't you think that, if the upgrades had a positive influence on the car, they would be raced? A team are not likely to removr an update, even if the gain it represents is a thousandth of a second.

Or are you saying that these form part of a bigger upgrade because they would only work in conjunction with other upgrades?
He's saying that some upgrades can only work as a package and if you use only part of it its possible to eveb lose time. However, none of us know if that's what's going on with the front wing. We can only hope [-o<
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher