Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Ferrari F2012

Formula One Young Drivers Test, Day 1, Magny-Cours, France

marcush.
marcush.

there have been investigations surrounding nanofluids to improve heat transfer ..this is working quite well but as a net benefit there is not much in it really as the heat transfer from fluid to wall is not really the limiting factor so the gains are ..small but maybe just not well understood looking into this :
http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/MM/811.PDF

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

fynrd1
fynrd1

aleksandergreat wrote:
amouzouris wrote:
i think you mean flow conditioner
he he jep :D :lol: :lol:
They will bring an air conditioner in Singapore. This idea is very cool, its meant to de-energize the mass of air for the cars behind them when cornering. :D

fynrd1
fynrd1

Are they activating a kind of lounge control? The engine and gearbox sounds intreges me before they rev up.
They idle the engine, shift to neutral? Clutch, then you hear a strange noise from the engine, shift to 1 rev up.

superdread
superdread

Hail22 wrote:Just got an email this morning from our dear friend the "informant"

He advised me that Ferrari will be testing a new chemical compound/liquid to aid engine and hydraulic cooling.

Any ideas what liquid chemical can be made for cooling without blocking the lines or being highly flammable?
Nuclear reactors have used gas, metal and salt cooling.
Gas would be banned on the spot for safety concerns (high pressures are needed to have any reasonable density).
Metal and salt could have potential but they would need to develop a completely new cooling system (pump, radiator, ...).

What is far more probable is a different water/glycol-based fluid. Nanoparticles could indeed be viable, rather by increasing the boiling temperature than increasing the heat capacity.

A higher boiling temperature would allow a slower flow rate of coolant and thereby the temperature of the coolant exiting the block. This increases the temperature difference to the outside -> higher heat discharge, to fully utilize that (smaller radiator size, less air flow needed) the lower temperature for the coolant is higher as well. This adds up to a higher thermal stress for the engine (shouldn't be much of a problem, as the temperature difference to the environment (ca 100°C - 30°C = 70 K) is much smaller than the temperature of the engine block)

Kiril Varbanov

Piola has animation for AMuS - Ferrari are using third small pedal to activate DRS.

diffuser

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Piola has animation for AMuS - Ferrari are using third small pedal to activate DRS.
I
Nice picts....I don't see the extra DRS pedal..Also, shouldn't there be a clutch pedal somewhere?

amouzouris

diffuser wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Piola has animation for AMuS - Ferrari are using third small pedal to activate DRS.
I
Nice picts....I don't see the extra DRS pedal..Also, shouldn't there be a clutch pedal somewhere?
there are two pedals for the clutch operation on the steering wheel

windwaves
windwaves

diffuser wrote:
I
take a look at the video, there you will see a small pedal for DRS just left of the the left pedal.

I guess Ferrari think those steering wheels are getting too busy.

Slife
Slife

Noob question, does the car computer prevent you from activating the DRS when you are not allowed too ? If so couldn't you just have the DRS be activated automatically when allowed ?

windwaves
windwaves

Slife wrote:Noob question, does the car computer prevent you from activating the DRS when you are not allowed too ? If so couldn't you just have the DRS be activated automatically when allowed ?

good question actually.

May be the control could be foro NOT deploying DRS when allowed if for any reason that is what the driver wants in given conditions. It seems to me 99% of the time it is indeed deployed so, yes, why not automate it.

I am sure I am missing something myself though.

siskue2005

Slife wrote:Noob question, does the car computer prevent you from activating the DRS when you are not allowed too ? If so couldn't you just have the DRS be activated automatically when allowed ?
rule states the DRS should be ctivated by the driver manually

superdread
superdread

windwaves wrote:

good question actually.

May be the control could be foro NOT deploying DRS when allowed if for any reason that is what the driver wants in given conditions. It seems to me 99% of the time it is indeed deployed so, yes, why not automate it.

I am sure I am missing something myself though.
FIA F1 Technical Regulations wrote: 3.18 Driver adjustable bodywork :
[...]
- Any alteration of the incidence of the uppermost closed section may only be commanded by direct driver input and controlled using the control electronics specified in Article 8.2.

windwaves
windwaves

thx.