Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1.Ru

Re: Ferrari F2012

alogoc wrote:Can this new brake disc explain why Ferrari had better race pace than quali?
They just started to use this brake discs from this races, before that in the most of the races F2012 had better race pace then their qualifying pace. So i don't think that their better race pace is only due to this update, rather i think it is purely due to their way of setting up their car and its ability to perform in the heavy fuel load..............
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

froggy
froggy

So when they say that most of the updates worked but some didn't (ie RW) , what updates are these supposed ones that worked??? They didn't even use the revised Magny Cours front wing!? I don't really see any other visible updates except maybe different engine cover. But as far as updates that will address the pace of the car vs Maca & RBR , i don't see anything. Very disappointing considering all the talk about big upgrades for Singapore from Ferrari, and i got the impression Fernando is getting frustrated with this as well.

FLuidd
FLuidd

All I can say to Ferrari is :

Pray to rain.

adam2003
adam2003

What was wrong with the rear wing? do you think it can be sorted for japan? will they bring anything else?
I think Alonso is going to loose this championship if ferrari dont pull their finger out and find performance

they just lacking down force or anything else?

beelsebob
beelsebob

adam2003 wrote:What was wrong with the rear wing? do you think it can be sorted for japan? will they bring anything else?
I think Alonso is going to loose this championship if ferrari dont pull their finger out and find performance

They certainly won't be trying to use the same wing at Japan, Japan's downforce requirements (while high) are no where near Singapore's. You certainly can't afford to sacrifise straight line speed anywhere near to the extent you can at singapore.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

beelsebob wrote:
adam2003 wrote:What was wrong with the rear wing? do you think it can be sorted for japan? will they bring anything else?

They certainly won't be trying to use the same wing at Japan, Japan's downforce requirements (while high) are no where near Singapore's. You certainly can't afford to sacrifise straight line speed anywhere near to the extent you can at singapore.
Agreed, we won't see that particular wing in Japan. The F2012 definitely lacks DF compared to some of the other cars & Ferrari need to continue to work on that aspect of the car. There will be updates coming this weekend that have been in the pipeline for months so let's hope they work. I'm expecting to see another new FW on Friday in free practice.

raymondu999

I don't think they lack DF per se - just low speed DF. I think they're fine in high speed DF stakes.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

adam2003
adam2003

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

Agreed, we won't see that particular wing in Japan. The F2012 definitely lacks DF compared to some of the other cars & Ferrari need to continue to work on that aspect of the car. There will be updates coming this weekend that have been in the pipeline for months so let's hope they work. I'm expecting to see another new FW on Friday in free practice.
Last couple of updates haven't worked have they a problem in the wind tunnel?

raymondu999

I never understood the situation - have they actually already gotten to the bottom of those wind tunnel issues, or are they still sidestepping it (Cologne windtunnel)?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:I don't think they lack DF per se - just low speed DF. I think they're fine in high speed DF stakes.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I should've been more specific, my apologies. Indeed it's low speed DF where the team is lacking.

@adam It's not unusual for updates that seem to work at the factory in CFD & the tunnel to not work the same on track. It happens to all teams. Ferrari is currently using two different tunnels btw. Obviously they're having some correlation issues but I don't think it's anything major because the team brought other new parts for instance and they worked well. Hard to say for sure.

ecapox

Low Speed downforce or low speed mechanical grip? I'd think at low speed the downforce is very very small which would make the mechanical grip most important.

raymondu999

Well the line sort of blurs doesn't it? Low speed grip, let's say :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

ecapox wrote:Low Speed downforce or low speed mechanical grip? I'd think at low speed the downforce is very very small which would make the mechanical grip most important.
I agree with Raymond that the line blurs between the two but low speed DF is definitely important. Why else did RB invest so much time & money into off-throttle blowing. Obviously they're not off throttle in high speed turns. But the off throttle blowing helped increase low speed DF(among other things). The fact there's so little(in comparison to high speed DF) is why it's so important, IMHO.
I think the F2012 suffers from a lack of both low speed mechanical grip & low speed DF, but obviously both have been improved since the start of the season. That said, mechanical grip was good at Monaco so I think it's not that big of a weakness like the low speed DF. The question is what is Ferrari going to do about it...

godlameroso

If Ferrari haven't improved since Silverstone then they won't do well here. The pole average speed was 230kph there are only two places the car goes under 100 kph, cars reach 7th gear four times a lap so this track really stresses the meat of a F1 car's capabilities. I hope for a wet quali with a mixed up grid on sunday, with Kobayashi on Pole, and wins from the lead. [-o<
Saishū kōnā

Pierce89

godlameroso wrote:If Ferrari haven't improved since Silverstone then they won't do well here. The pole average speed was 230kph there are only two places the car goes under 100 kph, cars reach 7th gear four times a lap so this track really stresses the meat of a F1 car's capabilities. I hope for a wet quali with a mixed up grid on sunday, with Kobayashi on Pole, and wins from the lead. [-o<
Alonso finished second last year because of awesome race pace. I suspect much the same this year, but quali might be rough.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher