2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
radosav
radosav

Re: Question On Vettel..........

he drove well today. he was unlucky yesterday, but he was lucky today. great salvage by red bull today.
vettel was litle clumsy today during overtaking.

myurr
myurr

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

It's official. Hamilton just said that Vettel is the luckiest driver in formula one.

Cylinder
Cylinder

FrukostScones wrote:mods! cylinder deactivation please
Truth hurts doesnt it

Name me the top drivers your hero overtook during this great drive.

Simple question.

Name them.

Bruno senna???? Do we count that?

Poleman

myurr wrote:It's official. Hamilton just said that Vettel is the luckiest driver in formula one.
Just saw that...So its not just some Vettel "haters" and "idiots" in this forum that think that. =D>

WhiteBlue

CHT wrote:Great race for vettel. What an amazing race and a big disappointment for webber.
Does anyone know what happen between Rosberg and narain?
Narain had steering failure and made a full emergency breaking on the straight. Nico had no chance to avoid him.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

andartop
andartop

myurr wrote: Webber had already lost out so they didn't think he needed to be punished further. Massa / Webber was a little more difficult as Massa didn't really give him room on the outside of the corner, so again racing incident albeit a little more Webber's fault.
This is why I mentioned Valencia. Maldonado had been pushed out of the track by Hamilton there, yet Maldonado got punished for rejoining the track in an unsafely manner. I don't see what was different in this incident, and I don't see what Massa could have done differently when Webber rejoined the track as he did. The stewards' decision on this is both inconsistent with previous similar incidents and sets a dangerous precedent. Basically, they are saying to Massa: well, since there was no contact it was fair play. Next time just crash onto him and we'll see!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

jz11
jz11

andartop wrote:I don't get the stewards' decisions regarding Webber.

In the incident with Maldonado, I thought it was pretty clear that Webber shut the door too soon, yet it took them quite a long time to decide no further action. Agreed, you can call it racing incident, but it was definitely not Maldonado's fault this time given he was braking as hard as he could, obvious in the replays.

In the incident with Massa, Webber left the track and rejoined unsafely, scaring Massa into a spin. Regardless of how Mark ended up outside the track, he should have been more cautious rejoining. Exactly the same reasoning behind Maldonado's punishment in Valencia during the incident with Hamilton. Yet, it only took them a few seconds to announce no further action!

What on earth did they expect Massa to do, crash into him????
1) with Maldonado, he was locking up and slid into MW trying not to lose the place there, MW didn't leave room like Vettel did for Button, but still, both were somewhat responsible for it, how would you call it?

2) Massa in similar fashion drove into MW, at that point he went straight out of the track, why Massa spun is a mystery to me, since there was no obvious damage, just too much kerb that probably lifted a wheel, a bit too early on power, and that was it

if you would want, you would see some sort of a trend of aggressive drive by Webber, but then again, if you look at both incident separately, they are just that - racing incidents, at least Webber doesn't go screaming over the radio when things don't go his way :D

bucker
bucker

don't watch Abu Dhabi GP they said....
it'll be boring they said....

jz11
jz11

andartop wrote:
myurr wrote: Webber had already lost out so they didn't think he needed to be punished further. Massa / Webber was a little more difficult as Massa didn't really give him room on the outside of the corner, so again racing incident albeit a little more Webber's fault.
This is why I mentioned Valencia. Maldonado had been pushed out of the track by Hamilton there, yet Maldonado got punished for rejoining the track in an unsafely manner. I don't see what was different in this incident, and I don't see what Massa could have done differently when Webber rejoined the track as he did. The stewards' decision on this is both inconsistent with previous similar incidents and sets a dangerous precedent. Basically, they are saying to Massa: well, since there was no contact it was fair play. Next time just crash onto him and we'll see!
Webber was more than a half cars width to the right in the next corner, when he rejoined if I remember correct

andartop
andartop

jz11 wrote: Webber was more than a half cars width to the right in the next corner, when he rejoined if I remember correct
Looked much closer to me in the replay. Would love to watch it again. Still, if that doesn't qualify as unsafely rejoining the track I don't know what does...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

zeph
zeph

zeph wrote:
zeph wrote:Watch Vettel carve through the field tomorrow, and a timely SC to spice up what is otherwise a schnoozefest of a race on THE most boring track of the season.

Go Alonso!
I am shocked at my own ability to point out the obvious...

Okay, I didn't think he'd have two SC's to help him get to the podium.

stefan_
stefan_

FINALLY ! I was waiting for this day for a long time. Congratulations to Kimi and Lotus, they deserve this win more than anyone else on the grid, it's been a great season for them - a lot of hard work that finally payed off. Grosjean deserved to finish in points too, very sad to see him go out of the race like that.

Alonso deserves to win the championship - great and solid drive for him today, I think he is the strongest driver in the field at the moment, a complete driver: mature, skilled, very good physical and psychological. I was close to have a heart attack when I saw him closing the gap to Kimi.

Vettel is far from a great drive. You could see him raging in the back of the grid, expecting that the cars in front like Marrusia, Caterham or HRT should just go away and let him pass just because he was Vettel, going totally off track trying to pass Grosjean... that was terrible. He had a great recovery, nothing to say about that, but his attitude sometimes is just pure ---. + a bucket full of dumb luck today.

Great drive from Senna (again). Good points for Ricciardo (again).
Since he signed the contract, Perez is a complete idiot. Just had to say that.
McLaren are a joke of a team.
Mercedes are a joke of a team.
HRT should be kicked out of F1 - I think that was a mechanical failure that led to a sudden brake/deacceleration. It could have ended up bad.

P.S.: If I can get it, I will put the radio communication with Kimi doing all the tires as a ringtone on my phone. That was a classic Kimi moment.
Last edited by stefan_ on 04 Nov 2012, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

CHT
CHT

myurr wrote:
Show why. What moves did Vettel make? Where would he have been had he not gained 35 seconds under the two safety cars? He was incredibly lucky with how that race panned out, and in terms of what he did he just drove fairly fast. In free air when they were both running, Hamilton was a few tenths a lap quicker, so you can't even say Vettel had field leading pace. He was just quick enough to take advantage of the way the race panned out, rather than being spectacular.
His strategy was suppose to be a one stopper and he switch to a two stop because of damaged front wing. Yes safety cars helps but then again you will still have to past over 20 cars safely without crashing or spinning out.

Then again if you already have money on vettel losing whatever I say here should not really matters

Cylinder
Cylinder

Poleman wrote:
myurr wrote:It's official. Hamilton just said that Vettel is the luckiest driver in formula one.
Just saw that...So its not just some Vettel "haters" and "idiots" in this forum that think that. =D>
I really don't think Vettel fans live in reality..... the kid is a top driver no doubt, but no one can tell me all these top drivers he was overtaking in today's "amazing drive".

Watch Webber vs Alonso and see Alonso carve him up with precision....... in a slower car, and then watch this kid tripping over Bruno Senna and damaging his wing.........

Come on now, it's getting ridiculous, the kid is good no doubt....but he is overhyped and people just need to accept that.

Without them 2 safety cars, only a small bit of the front wing breaking, being told to give his place back after a botched overtake of grosjean.....two safety cars with brilliant timing....about 5/6 cars taking each other out......

Where would he of been today.

Not hating, but there is no footage of him overtaking top drivers today....other than button and im happy to discuss that overtake with anyone. :lol:

rssh

Cylinder wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:Hahaha, all the Alonso fans are crying luck luck etc etc
It was luck which also brought him so close to Wdc this year

Name me the top drivers Vettel overtook today, please......name these great overtakes during this amazing drive.
Seriously are you blind :mrgreen: didn't you see the overtake on Button on the outside .

Webber and Perez made a move on the outside and crashed (webber twice).