2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Intego

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

BTW: Impressive effort from RB to completely change a setup successfully even without an installation lap ...
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

raymondu999

Yeah - they re-geared Vettel for 10 extra kph too... From 311 to 321kph
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ray

Forget it
Last edited by Ray on 04 Nov 2012, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

CHT
CHT

Intego wrote:BTW: Impressive effort from RB to completely change a setup successfully even without an installation lap ...

I like the part when newey examine the front wing like someone else design it.

Redragon

In BBC they did a really nice documental of Newey driving two of his designs
90.s and 2010 if i am right. correct me if I am wrong.
I will try to find on youtube so you can all see it.
It was really interesting to see the joy of his face driving his own machines

At the moment here is the bbc link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20198256
Last edited by Redragon on 04 Nov 2012, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

Cylinder wrote:
Phil wrote:
myurr wrote:
Show why. What moves did Vettel make? Where would he have been had he not gained 35 seconds under the two safety cars? He was incredibly lucky with how that race panned out, and in terms of what he did he just drove fairly fast. In free air when they were both running, Hamilton was a few tenths a lap quicker, so you can't even say Vettel had field leading pace. He was just quick enough to take advantage of the way the race panned out, rather than being spectacular.
You mean the two safety cars - the first being where vettel had to pit because of his broken front wing putting him practically back at the grid *again* - which is where he was when the race restarted, or the second safety car that only yielded him *one single* position (which he might have got anyway even if there hadnt been a safety car)?
1. Please answer the question asked, where are the great overtakes in this great race from Vettel?
2. He damaged his own front wing because he botched an overtake on Bruno Senna
3. He damaged his wing AGAIN nearly running into the back of Riccardo during a safety car.
4. He couldnt overtake Grosjean, then Botched another overtake attempt and had to give the place back
5. Safety car two's timing was utterly perfect for him
6. Struggled to overtake Button on fresh soft's in a car geared for overtaking.
7. About 8 cars ahead of him including the race leader retired.

Anyone who thinks this is the sign of a great drive.....I don't know what to say.....
It wasn't my question to answer - as I *never* implied nor participated in any converstation that Vettel performed any "great" overtakes. In fact, I think it's kind of a ridiculous question to ask IMO. Vettel was coming from back of the grid - what "great" overtakes were there to make from back there? It was always clear the most overtakes were against lesser machinery. This is Formula 1 - we all know how much of an important factor the car is in all of this and there are no wonders one could perform. Vettel needed to find away past those cars quick to catch up and that he did - fortunate luck maybe, but he had to work for it to make it stick all the same.

myurr implied that Vettels race was a large portion of luck, naming both safety car phases or dodgy overtakes. I certainly am not disputing that various factors helped him to the front, but the dodgy overtakes didn't help - as he either payed for them one way or the other - e.g. by letting Grosjean past again and retaking him *the right way* (and losing time in the process) or by having to pit during the first safety car phase which *should have* helped him, but he threw that advantage out the window by crashing into that billboard, had to pit, dropped back again and had to do it all again - with less laps to go and a lot of positions to recapture.

I'm not sure why there is any argument how long he took to overtake Button - does it matter? Button had a quick car along the straight and crucially leading up to that zone had very good pace as well. At that point, Vettel was already 4th - with Alonso being *only* 2nd - he didn't have to take Button. In fact, the intelligent thing probably would have been to keep 4th, as the gain of an extra position was only 3 points and with or without them, he would have still lead the championship. I'm actually amazed he even attempted that overtake at all - and it was close, but well executed (thanks to Button being very professional as always).

Vettel may have been very fortunate in how todays race turned out - but it took a lot of effort on his side too. He wasn't faultless, and yet, he still managed to get to 3rd and that is some achievement, any way you look at it. Just imagine if Vettel had started 3rd - or with the penality of starting from the pits, if he hadn't run over that billboard and could have kept his position during the first safety car period. He may have even ended up in front of Alonso.

He made his own race difficult, but he payed the price and still ended up on the podium. Like him or hate him, but IMO that deserves some respect.
Last edited by Phil on 04 Nov 2012, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

example
example

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ6zTfX73a0[/youtube]

Spoiled brat comes to mind.

stefan_
stefan_

HRT steering problem caused Rosberg crash
“We had a problem with the hydraulic pressure and the steering of the car went rock solid, so I had to lift my foot off the accelerator,” Karthikeyan confirmed. “Unfortunately, Rosberg was coming from behind and couldn’t avoid me. It was tremendously unlucky but we have to leave it in the past and think about the United States Grand Prix."
source
This is serious. After several brake problems which culminated with a total brake failure (with the brake disk breaking in half and almost taking out di Resta / Hulkenberg - don't remember which one was in front of Narain at that time), now a hydraulic problem that made the steering wheel "rock solid". The car is dangerous, it is like a ticking bomb. I would not let them race the final two GPs.
example wrote: - Video with Vettel being an idiot -
The little guy seems to forget what he did to Button (brake test). I don't think Daniel had a 360 view around him to know that wonder boy was that close behind. Same crap attitude from Vettel who expects everyone to get the f**k out of his way because he is Vettel / RBR. I think he wanted to floor it and show the middle finger to Ricciardo as he did with Narain.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Cylinder
Cylinder

stefan_ wrote:
The little guy seems to forget what he did to Button (brake test). I don't think Daniel had a 360 view around him to know that wonder boy was that close behind. Same crap attitude from Vettel who expects everyone to get the f**k out of his way because he is Vettel / RBR.
I really have doubts over whether he can handle driving in the mid pack......major doubts.

I think there are some around the paddock who think the same thing.

My opinion.

stefan_
stefan_

Kimi's team radios :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtaulxTt0Gc[/youtube]
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Morteza

stefan_ wrote: The little guy seems to forget what he did to Button (brake test). I don't think Daniel had a 360 view around him to know that wonder boy was that close behind. Same crap attitude from Vettel who expects everyone to get the f**k out of his way because he is Vettel / RBR. I think he wanted to floor it and show the middle finger to Ricciardo as he did with Narain.
That's exactly what I mentioned a few pages ago.
When he does it to other people it is for fun, and when they ask him why, he answers with a grin as big as that of the Cheshire cat :roll:
Last edited by Morteza on 04 Nov 2012, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Why so much hate towards Vettel!!?

I, myself, dont like that much but this is too much.

He is not luckier than Alonso!

They both had their fair share of good and bad luck this season.

If there is a lucky person when you look at the whole season, it is Alonso and most unfortunate is Michael. :D Easy guys!

It was a really fun race, dont you think?

Also, at the end of the day, Alonso narrowed the gap. That should be a good thing :)
Last edited by foxmulder_ms on 04 Nov 2012, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I'm glad Raikkonen finally has a race win under this belt, this season wouldn't be complete without it. The only fly in the ointment is Vettel's slicing through the field like butter.

I didn't watch the race live, but do you guys think it's worth watching it?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

gandharva

How funny to see all the Vettel haters comment here and downvote a fantastic drive. :lol:

For me it was the most entertaining GP in 2012 by far. Great drive and great radio from Kimi! Webber - as usual - loosing it at the start. Rosberg taking Karthikeyan doggy-style... good to see no one got hurt. All the intense positioning fights including crashes with the usual suspects. Great entertainment and 2 upcoming races with a tight battle for WDC. Go go! :D

CHT
CHT

mx_tifoso wrote:I'm glad Raikkonen finally has a race win under this belt, this season wouldn't be complete without it. The only fly in the ointment is Vettel's slicing through the field like butter.

I didn't watch the race live, but do you guys think it's worth watching it?
Best race of season.