2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

It was indeed interesting. Perhaps his clear-air pace would've been even quicker with a shorter 7th gear though, so we don't have comparison there.

Or perhaps the Renault's power/torque delivery curve means that choosing a longer/shorter gear for DRS open/closed optimisation has minimal effect?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

raymondu999 wrote:It was indeed interesting. Perhaps his clear-air pace would've been even quicker with a shorter 7th gear though, so we don't have comparison there.

Or perhaps the Renault's power/torque delivery curve means that choosing a longer/shorter gear for DRS open/closed optimisation has minimal effect?
do you think there might have been some hard core and quickly implemented simulator test to know which gearing would be better?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

raymondu999

Possibly. McLaren I've always heard have the best simulator in the business, but I've never heard of Red Bulls. Maybe theirs is also good enough to judge that. Maybe Buemi flew in overnight specifically for that, but that would be EXTREMELY short notice.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FrukostScones

Cam wrote:
CHT wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:Kimi sounded really rude to me , but I have to say I laughed alot :lol:
We need to understand that you are in the car driving your guts out you are never the same peron. Easy to say he should ave and have not done this and that. But how many time have we also curse and swear during day to say driving even when we are partly at fault.
Personally, it was quite refreshing to see a driver show some emotion and say what he really thinks without the corporate media machine redacting and silencing at every opportunity.

Not often you hear "$hit" and a F bomb on the podium. F1 can be far too sterile, its needs it characters.
and the F-Bomb was delivered by the immature and spoilt brat (why spoilt brat actually? because he drives for Red Bull?)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Hail22

See I love this sort of overtaking...NO DRS required!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Avo5KvVATM[/youtube]

With DRS...I "personally" don't like artificial overtaking aids..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SVu5Uol ... h_response[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

siskue2005

But with today's formula no one can overtake without drs at most of the circuit, unless someone makes a mistake (very rare)
Without DRS it would have been like 2010 abudabhi race
Vettel stuck like maybe 11, 12 and Alonso in 4th

Cam

Cam wrote:Not often you hear "$hit" and a F bomb on the podium. F1 can be far too sterile, its needs it characters.
FrukostScones wrote:and the F-Bomb was delivered by the immature and spoilt brat (why spoilt brat actually? because he drives for Red Bull?)
Thanks for bringing the biased fanboy to the discussion. Seriously, anything anyone says on any topic is skewed to whoever you hate. For the record, its annoying.

Edit: fixed quotes
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

banibhusan

Alonso in his interview said that, "the simulation put us somewhere between 4th and 6th". Does it mean they do a complete race simulation(on the simulator off course) after qualifying to see what are the likely positions they'll finish the race or its just a predication after taking into consideration the strategies?

A race simulation may help them in calculating the pros and cons the strategies they can opt for the race, but without the info of what other teams are doing, I don't think it's gonna be that accurate a figure to rely upon, isn't it?

FrukostScones

Cam wrote:
Cam wrote:Not often you hear "$hit" and a F bomb on the podium. F1 can be far too sterile, its needs it characters.
FrukostScones wrote:and the F-Bomb was delivered by the immature and spoilt brat (why spoilt brat actually? because he drives for Red Bull?)
Thanks for bringing the biased fanboy to the discussion. Seriously, anything anyone says on any topic is skewed to whoever you hate. For the record, its annoying.

Edit: fixed quotes
fanboy who?

the only word I like in your text is biased, and I don't mean you!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Kiril Varbanov

raymondu999 wrote:Possibly. McLaren I've always heard have the best simulator in the business, but I've never heard of Red Bulls. Maybe theirs is also good enough to judge that. Maybe Buemi flew in overnight specifically for that, but that would be EXTREMELY short notice.
Red Bull's simulator is work of art. I know many details from person who has seen it - I will take the time to post details later this week in the team's thread.

Cam

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Possibly. McLaren I've always heard have the best simulator in the business, but I've never heard of Red Bulls. Maybe theirs is also good enough to judge that. Maybe Buemi flew in overnight specifically for that, but that would be EXTREMELY short notice.
Red Bull's simulator is work of art. I know many details from person who has seen it - I will take the time to post details later this week in the team's thread.
Kiril - would you know if someone is there at the simulator during a race weekend? It'll be interesting to know if they run simultaneous track and simulator runs and compare notes. (apologies for off topic)
― Socrates

Ral
Ral

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
banibhusan wrote:I wonder how would his engineer feel when Kimi replied, "You don't have to remind me everytime."!! :D
Isn't it Mark Slade anyways? Mark Slade was his old McLaren race engineer, and should be used to it.
It is Mark Slade.
His race engineer is Mark Slade and you guys are right, he is used to it. But the guy talking to Kimi in the races is Simon Rennie. Ted Kravitz said Mark supposedly at least for one of those messages, warned Simon that Kimi wouldn't like being told that.

Since they changed to the setup with two race engineers, the strategies seem to have been working in Kimi's/Lotus' favour a bit more. But as witnessed this race, Simon doesn't yet have the same kind of understanding with Kimi that Mark does. Or perhaps, the nagging does work despite the protestations.

Kiril Varbanov

Cam wrote: Kiril - would you know if someone is there at the simulator during a race weekend? It'll be interesting to know if they run simultaneous track and simulator runs and compare notes. (apologies for off topic)
Cam, to be honest, I don't know the answer, but I will ask.
My personal opinion would be rather No, as simulators are usually being fed with data collected after and during the race, so I will assume that these tasks are done after the GP. Besides, the third or the test driver is usually on the race along with the rest of the stuff, as this is priceless experience - that's one, and second, he may be up for a sudden challenge, in case something goes wrong with the main drivers.

As for the race itself, I was trying to dig deeper into the data, but I can hardly find any strong patterns to analyze yet. Search to be resumed at night. Despite that, I was expecting Lewis to win easy (my personal salute to him for being sportsman and gentlemen asking about the crash and the consequences), but reliability is one of the greatest factor in any machine - if it doesn't work, there's no production.

ParanoiD

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
Will be waiting for the post !!
Ay Carumba!

banibhusan

I tend to think Ferrari does that. Alonso said in the interview that the simulation put us somewhere between 4th and 6th. I believe this would generally help them in calculating the race strategies.

@Kiril: You have more info regarding this mate?