F1 engine RPM

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
aussiegman
aussiegman

Re: F1 engine RPM

strad wrote:
aussiegman wrote:
So by varying the pressures you could possibly reduce the lift? Do you think the system could react quickly enough to be effective?
Dream on...I seriously doubt that, and I'm sure you don't believe it either.
I am absolutely sure that it could!! So yep I don't believe it either. :)
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction

Scuderia Nuvolari
Scuderia Nuvolari

Isn't the pressure in the valve spring chamber regulated at 200psi ?

aussiegman
aussiegman

hardingfv32 wrote:
aussiegman wrote:... again as indicated in previous posts requires external pressurisation when an engine change or transport is undertaken to prevent the valves dropping and touching the piston crowns.
Might the system seal on the valve stem keep the valve in place and prevent it from falling?

Brian
From what i have been told it is not enough to stop them dropping.
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction

aussiegman
aussiegman

Scuderia Nuvolari wrote:Isn't the pressure in the valve spring chamber regulated at 200psi ?
Between 100 & 200 psi as different systems might use different pressures. I have been told closer to 100 psi but it could be any pressure depending on variables.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Brian Coat wrote:I recently noticed/calculated that the mean piston speeds touched in a TAFC engine (NHRA) are in excess of those on an F1 engine.

I surmise this is because long life is not a major consideration - these engines only run for a few seconds at maximum rpm levels. None the less, 35+ m/s is impressive.
grandprixengines.co.uk ...... has lots on piston speed (and everything realiy), if you look for it

IMO it rather agrees with my view, but is rigorously done

strad

Cool site Tommy...Thanks a bunch. =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

olefud
olefud

riff_raff wrote:As for the discussion about engine compression braking with a closed throttle versus an open throttle, as long as the valves are functioning the closed throttle would produce greater braking due to the greatly reduced volumetric efficiency.
Getting back to this other unanswerable question, I’d opt for greater braking with an open throttle. While the closed throttle would have a greater pumping loss on the intake stroke, it would also do less compression work, though commensurately less work recovery on the “power” stroke –and I’m not sure how to quantify these. So, from a big picture viewpoint, the open throttle would do more work overall in that it would pump more air through the engine.

olefud
olefud

[quote="hardingfv32Might the system seal on the valve stem keep the valve in place and prevent it from falling? Brian[/quote]

It might. But then again, it might not.

autogyro
autogyro

Might the system seal on the valve stem keep the valve in place and prevent it from falling? Brian
It might. But then again, it might not.
It will not because the cam lobe will strike the cam bucket across the gap caused by the partialy open valve.
The valves will all end up in the fully open position with pneumatic failure but long before that the engine will grenade,
unless there is an alternative spring or mechanism to keep the valve components in working contact, this is inevitable.
I can see no need for pneumatic valve closing with the rpm being used.

autogyro
autogyro

Sorry, I am thinking of the v6 engines coming in in 2014.