Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
andrewf1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

also, seems they're running the DRD this morning too.

Mika1
Mika1

Yes, they are running DRD and the new FW.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Cocles

beelsebob wrote:Pretty significant update to the exhaust area there, hopefully that will sort the overheating issue there.
Overheating issues? I thought it was just burnt paint, which doesn't signify overheating.

Was there actual overheating issues mentioned somewhere that I missed?

gray41

Gap in the runs, maybe removing DRD before going out again?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

beelsebob
beelsebob

Cocles wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Pretty significant update to the exhaust area there, hopefully that will sort the overheating issue there.
Overheating issues? I thought it was just burnt paint, which doesn't signify overheating.

It signifies that that bit of bodywork is hotter than they expected/intended it to be – they did not design the car to burn the advertising billboards off the side (otherwise people wouldn't pay them), thus, it absolutely was overheating relative to design specifications.

Cocles

beelsebob wrote:
Cocles wrote:

It signifies that that bit of bodywork is hotter than they expected/intended it to be – they did not design the car to burn the advertising billboards off the side (otherwise people wouldn't pay them), thus, it absolutely was overheating relative to design specifications.
They use as much silver paint as possible at the first test for the debut. That's been established here before, so that doesn't mean it wasn't expected. As we see now, they've painted those sections with a heat resistant black.

I'll give you the billboards. That makes sense, although we're still only discussing an unexpected aesthetic issue. When I hear "overheating" I think of an actual structural problem caused by heat.

Steven
Owner

Another pic of the DRD this morning:

Interesting how that kind of removes the apparent simplicity of the car's airbox, now again with a second inlet, as well as a completely different bodywork behind it to cover up the tube that goes to the centre of the beam wing.

PlatinumZealot

n smikle wrote:
kris wrote:
stefan_ wrote:One of the differences that doesn't qualify it as an "f-duct" is that the driver has no influence on the system in directing the air or allowing/disrupting airflow to go to the main flap.
I do understand that part.. I was wondering more in terms of the theory behind the concept?
Scarbs is always full of words but never numbers. He didn't say whether the Passive F-duct (that is what the DRD essentially) is, gives down-force or takes it away.. He also has no interior details on the switch itself. 8)

Again guys, I will say this... most of these F1 "puzzles" are usually solved first on this very website, then copied by others. You can find the answer you just to have confidence and think for yourself, or even discuss the concept with others. Guys like Scarb's and Keith Kollantine aren't always right.

My preliminary CFD simulations show that the DRD is a down-force adder in its normal state. And when it switches the air jets turn off and the down-force and some drag is reduced.
THis post.

I didn't get to come back to read all the replies.

I have my CFD results from months ago. I didn't remember them. :oops:
In fact I got mixed results. The general trend was a reduction in downforce and drag. So apparently I forgot my own results! I will post the images and results when I get the time.

So Scarbs you get away this time! (shakes fist)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

beelsebob
beelsebob

Something (perhaps it's only 14 laps, and no running for ages) makes me wonder if the car has broken.

kooleracer
kooleracer

beelsebob wrote:Something (perhaps it's only 14 laps, and no running for ages) makes me wonder if the car has broken.
The car has a gearbox failure, thats why its sidelined.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Dyanxx
Dyanxx

Apparently they suspected a gearbox problem, so they inspected it and will be back out shortly.

Thunder

beelsebob wrote:Something (perhaps it's only 14 laps, and no running for ages) makes me wonder if the car has broken.
AMuS said Mercedes thought they may have a Gearbox Problem and opened it up to be sure. That's why he Rosberg didn't drive that much.

Edit: narf, too late.....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Forghieri

Dyanxx wrote:Apparently they suspected a gearbox problem, so they inspected it and will be back out shortly.
They inspected it? For 4 hours?
Regardless if they inspected it, it's another half a day lost for them.
Do you feel you can beat the Red Bulls, either to pole position or the race itself?
Fernando Alonso: "I prefer to beat them on Sunday."

andrewf1

Thunders wrote:
AMuS said Mercedes thought they may have a Gearbox Problem and opened it up to be sure. That's why he Rosberg didn't drive that much.

Edit: narf, too late.....
well...they said they would be back on track after the lunch break. it's already been an hour since the re-start and no sign. another wasted day indeed.

mix2mix
mix2mix

Nico is now out on track =D>