Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

xDama wrote:Going a bit off-topic but a lot of people on this forum make assumptions and conclusions based on photography, but if the photos aren't 100% identical in terms of size, perspective and those assumptions can't be correct.
Worse – a lot of people seem to think they can know exactly how effectively an aero part will work, just by looking at a photo of it. In reality, even if the two photos above were perfectly sized, perspectived, etc, we still wouldn't be able to say "look, more floor area, must be better".

Blackout

beelsebob wrote:...it's not like the teams invented driver cooling through the nose cone this year!
Who said that ?

Blackout

And I wont repeat for the 45789th time that my comparisons are meant to compare the designs not the exact dimensions.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Blackout wrote:And I wont repeat for the 45789th time that my comparisons are meant to compare the designs not the exact dimensions.
And comparing designs is great – but don't act like you can know which design is better by looking at a picture of it.

Blackout

I did that ?

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Blackout wrote:Last year's E20 nose slot

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.ph ... u=14795526
So, I was right for my theory... 8)
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Blackout

No. That's last year's car and that slot is for cooling. I posted that photo because it's rare.

E21 details

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Ok, but that does not exclued the possibility for E21 nosecone to have that slot, too.Right? I think that it still exists, but it's not used for driver cooling, but for that tea tray tube on splitter.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Sevach
Sevach

Joie de vivre wrote:The tunnel on RBR starts earlier than tunnel on E21. Due that RBR is much tighter at the rear. Kudos to RedBull.
More like the entire sidepod of the RB9 is forward compared to the E21.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Joie de vivre wrote:The tunnel on RBR starts earlier than tunnel on E21. Due that RBR is much tighter at the rear. Kudos to RedBull.
Leaving aside the obvious question of whether the comparative photo necessarily reflects reality or not.

Moving the sidepod forward is not without its negative impact either. It is all a compromise - I wouldn't be so quick to congratulate RedBull on further compromising one area to aid another until I'd see if they have made the right compromise. :wink:

wesley123
wesley123

kilcoo316 wrote:
Leaving aside the obvious question of whether the comparative photo necessarily reflects reality or not.

Moving the sidepod forward is not without its negative impact either. It is all a compromise - I wouldn't be so quick to congratulate RedBull on further compromising one area to aid another until I'd see if they have made the right compromise. :wink:
The Lotus sidepod is less wide overall compared to the Red Bull. Kudos to Lotus.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

wesley123 wrote:The Lotus sidepod is less wide overall compared to the Red Bull. Kudos to Lotus.
Which also comes with its compromises. :P

wesley123
wesley123

kilcoo316 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:The Lotus sidepod is less wide overall compared to the Red Bull. Kudos to Lotus.
Which also comes with its compromises. :P
Indeed, both is compromise, and so is every other sidepod. While the Lotus might be less wide, the Red bull is shorter, both with it's advantages and deficit.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

wesley123 wrote:Indeed, both is compromise, and so is every other sidepod. While the Lotus might be less wide, the Red bull is shorter, both with it's advantages and deficit.
Exactly, (assuming the photos reflect reality) RedBull compromise the front wheel wake and splitter performance for greater massflow of air above the diffuser, thus trying to entrain more air out from under the car.

The narrower Lotus sidepod would aim to do the same thing (larger massflow of air between the wheels), but compromises radiator size and therefore maybe increases rad drag a touch.

NormalChris
NormalChris

What's up with the correlation between the airbox ears and the DRD? The DRD has been tested ( or at least the external ducting has been placed on the car) multiple times but the ears have never been uncovered.

In this shot it appears there is a seam and a ring of red adhesive that holds the covers over the ears so I doubt they are meant to function in this "covered" way but still see that as a possibility. The new flow modifier inside the airbox seems too far forward to have a possible effect in its plumbing. Unless I've missed it something doesn't add up?